Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

I guess the part that was concerning to me was that you recognize that your son is an adult and you can not make the decision for him....yet, you think DCI should?

As a parent, I can't imagine you ever stop worrying....what changes is what you do about that worry. Which when they're adults is have a conversation and leave it alone.

Fair enough, and an excellent point. I agree with you, as I said. But what if they found out that, just for the sake of argument, the materials in plastic rifles caused cancer. Would it be responsible for a youth organization to ignore such a risk? As I said, he's an adult, he's a great kids (to be one of the 12 contras on The Line is pretty much the height of where you can go in DCI). When I see pictures of him without a shirt on I worry. And, from all the knowledgable posters here, that obviously makes me ignorant, a coddler of my children and a bad parent. But if you believe, as some people have said here, that being a parent doesn't significantly change how you see some things in the world, it's hard to know what to say to that.

Fair enough, and an excellent point. I agree with you, as I said. But what if they found out that, just for the sake of argument, the materials in plastic rifles caused cancer. Would it be responsible for a youth organization to ignore such a risk? As I said, he's an adult, he's a great kids (to be one of the 12 contras on The Line is pretty much the height of where you can go in DCI). When I see pictures of him without a shirt on I worry. And, from all the knowledgable posters here, that obviously makes me ignorant, a coddler of my children and a bad parent. But if you believe, as some people have said here, that being a parent doesn't significantly change how you see some things in the world, it's hard to know what to say to that.

I'm a parent and I worry, too. But some sage advice worth mentioning is:

You don't have to teach your kids everything, the world will teach them what you miss.

Have you texted or sent word to him that you worry? If he doesn't wear a shirt, you want to force it on him and everyone else?

You can't protect him from everything and there comes a point where you have to learn for himself.

Once again, I recognize that he is old enough to make his own decisions. But is a 14 year old marching Devils B? A 16 year old on the cymbal line of Spirit?

Yes.

Yes.

And that's based on a gut feeling or having done the research and written a dissertation?

And that's based on a gut feeling or having done the research and written a dissertation?

That's based on marching four year of junior corps with kids like that. No hovering parents, no rules outside the ones normally found in corps, no special treatment--just vets to show the way and staff to teach. They do fine. I don't need a dissertation to have eyes and ears.

• Like 3

Being a parent doesn't come with an owner's manual, or a dissertation. As a parent I get to choose how to raise my kid and no dissertation is sound enough to build a law around. Not in an activity with thousands of parents who have their own ideas of what is right or wrong, good or bad.

I appreciate your resume, but your dissertation is only a choice for me and my kids, not your edict.

Edited by garfield

Hey! Is this the thread where we talk about how smart we are and what schools we went to and what post-graduate degrees we have? I WANT TO PLAY!

• Like 4

Hey! Is this the thread where we talk about how smart we are and what schools we went to and what post-graduate degrees we have? I WANT TO PLAY!

Apparently, only if you have kids and have written a dissertation do you qualify to play.

That's based on marching four year of junior corps with kids like that. No hovering parents, no rules outside the ones normally found in corps, no special treatment--just vets to show the way and staff to teach. They do fine. I don't need a dissertation to have eyes and ears.

Fair enough, but what we're talking about is adolescent risk taking behavior. And I'm sure they do fine. I'm talking about longterm consequences of sun exposure, and no, suntan lotion is not enough. What does that have to do with street smarts.

Actually, it was intended to raise a serious issue, but okay. On the internet, we're all equal.