Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

Okay, enough of this. I worry about kids not making good choices even if they're raised well, because they don't understand the consequences. You think that's not a legitimate worry. Also, I have 30+ years teaching experience and a Ph.D. in developmental psychology. I am a professor at an SEC university. I'm glad you're going to school with people who are smart. And that you have so successfully raised your own children. But, of course, that's not at all relevant.

it is 100% acceptable to worry that your kid is not wearing a shirt.

it is 100% not acceptable for the remedy to be DCI forcing everyone to wear a shirt.

• Like 3

it is 100% not acceptable for the remedy to be DCI forcing everyone to wear a shirt.

Fair enough.

Fair enough, but what we're talking about is adolescent risk taking behavior. And I'm sure they do fine. I'm talking about longterm consequences of sun exposure, and no, suntan lotion is not enough. What does that have to do with street smarts.

Ok, so whats the "rule" gonna state ? How much is enough, how much is too much ?

How thick the shirt must be ?

What material it must be made of ?

Long or short sleeves or what about tank tops?

Long pants and no shorts ?

Socks always in daylight hours ?

Hats always in daylight hours ?

What type of hat ? baseball, straw ?

I do understand your concern but when we begin to regulate where does it stop ? Now you need a lawyer to draw up the rule that will both protect the kids, the corps and DCI. Then each group needs to hire a lawyer to pick it apart for their benifit, and now we are in the snake pit. Where does it stop ?

I think the staff and PT people SHOULD always remind kids to protect themselves but once you make rules, who will enforce them ? If certain corps allow kids to practice with shirts off, what punishment ? A fine ? how much ? who hold court ? when ? where ?

What would be the next thing ? Marching at 180 is out because too many blown knees & ankles ?

Heck, back in 71 at VFW Dallas we performed our prelim show mid afternoon in black wool uniforms and the temp was over 115 on the astroturf. At least at practice kids have a choice. At some point we must allow the student to use common sense. Hell we have laws about speeding but how many people do speed ? Exactly what good will a non enforcable rule do ?

It really is a complex problem when you try to regulate to this degree.

Great discussion though

He only meant to express a concern to a civilized forum. I see no harm in that and he certainly isn't offending anyone or using harsh language. Yes he's stepping on some toes yes, but let's please show some respect.

no one is being disrespectful...

Devils advocate here.

What would be the negative consequence of DCI instituting a mandatory t-shirt rule.

Good points. I just thought I would raise the point- I mean here's a place where people spend weeks discussing how wide someone's uniform sash is going to be- I thought I would raise it because it's been on my mind.

Ok, so whats the "rule" gonna state ? How much is enough, how much is too much ?

I do understand your concern but when we begin to regulate where does it stop ? Now you need a lawyer to draw up the rule that will both protect the kids, the corps and DCI. Then each group needs to hire a lawyer to pick it apart for their benifit, and now we are in the snake pit. Where does it stop ?

I think the staff and PT people SHOULD always remind kids to protect themselves but once you make rules, who will enforce them ? If certain corps allow kids to practice with shirts off, what punishment ? A fine ? how much ? who hold court ? when ? where ?

Good points. I just thought in a place where people spend weeks discussing how wide the sash is on someone's uniform, it might be something to think about.

What would be the next thing ? Marching at 180 is out because too many blown knees & ankles ?

Heck, back in 71 at VFW Dallas we performed our prelim show mid afternoon in black wool uniforms and the temp was over 115 on the astroturf. At least at practice kids have a choice. At some point we must allow the student to use common sense. Hell we have laws about speeding but how many people do speed ? Exactly what good will a non enforcable rule do ?

Great discussion though

Edited by dapperpoet

Devils advocate here.

What would be the negative consequence of DCI instituting a mandatory t-shirt rule.

The negative consequences are that most people do not want to wear a shirt, so they will be unhappy. Wearing a shirt (or not) is an individual choice that ONLY impacts the person making the decision. If you want to ban smoking, because it impacts other people, I am ok with that. But not wearing a shirt in no way impacts anyone else.

what are the negative consequences of the US government instituting a mandatory "no unhealthy foods" rule?

I like to eat hamburgers. I realize they are not the most healthy food. But I would rather die a few years earlier after a life of eating hamburgers, than not eat hamburgers. This is a decision that only impacts me, and therefore, I should be free to weigh the pros and cons and choose the option that is best for me. Just like I should be able to weigh the pros and cons of wearing a tshirt at rehearsal.

what if the US government banned swimming in the ocean at the beach? There is really no reason that someone should swim in the ocean, right? They could drown. The government could help people by banning this dangerous behavior.

Good points. I just thought I would raise the point- I mean here's a place where people spend weeks discussing how wide someone's uniform sash is going to be- I thought I would raise it because it's been on my mind.

You CAN! And you did. You don't lose points for starting a thread. You might lose points for it's content, however.

And this certainly is the place to discuss it. Where else can you get so many exactly correct opinions?

tongue.gif

• Like 2

Great discussion though

No, it isn't. You just went out of your way to make it so. My daughter having a lemonade stand isn't very complex, but if I choose to make it so... "Members must wear a t-shirt at minimum during practice." Pretty darn complex eh?

You run into the issue of enforcement, as well.

I think it's safe to say that such a rule would not be popular with the kids...but it might not be with staff, either. So how does DCI check for compliance while corps are scattered all over the place on tour? Logistically I suppose you could try and rely on "tattle-tales", so to speak, from inside a corps, but that also opens up the possibility of false accusations.

• Like 1