Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

No, it isn't. You just went out of your way to make it so. My daughter having a lemonade stand isn't very complex, but if I choose to make it so... "Members must wear a t-shirt at minimum during practice." Pretty darn complex eh?

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/06/18/500-fine-for-lemonade-stand/UPI-76201308380400/

BETHESDA, Md., June 18 (UPI) -- The parents of children who set up a lemonade stand outside the U.S. Open in Maryland said an inspector shut down the stand and fined them $500.

might be more complex than you think

is a sports bra a shirt?

what about a tank top?

a tank top that has had the bottom cut off that now covers as much as a sports bra?

does the shirt have to have sleeves?

a shirt with holes cut out over the nipples?

I have been at rehearsal sites where everyone had to wear a shirt. All of these above things happened.

What if the member doesn't want to wear a shirt? Well, the staff can make them. But what if the staff agrees with the members, and there are no negative consequences for the corps if people don't wear a shirt? Then what?

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

My son is an adult, and as such he can make his own choices, but because he is fair-skinned and a towhead I wish he would wear a shirt. WHO came out last year and equated tanning and UV rays with exposure to radiation and lead paint in terms of danger (although their report was based on tanning beds, it applies). Many studies have shown a direct link between over-exposure to sun at an early age and later cancer, and melanoma is almost universally fatal. When I talked about this with the drum major and corps folks he marched with last year, they just kind of rolled their eyes, which I understand- they see this as the least of their problems. But what about a rule that would require wearing shirts in rehearsal? If just a few kids could be saved from having tumors cut off their skin or worse later on, it seems like it would be worthwhile to me...I know it's a ridiculous thing, but I worry nonetheless.

While overexposure to sun can become a health hazard that can lead to melanoma, the more frequent health hazard is the possibility of hearing loss unless proper precautions are taken to protect the ear canal from excessive and intensive high decibel noise.

The negative consequences are that most people do not want to wear a shirt, so they will be unhappy. Wearing a shirt (or not) is an individual choice that ONLY impacts the person making the decision. If you want to ban smoking, because it impacts other people, I am ok with that. But not wearing a shirt in no way impacts anyone else.

what are the negative consequences of the US government instituting a mandatory "no unhealthy foods" rule?

I like to eat hamburgers. I realize they are not the most healthy food. But I would rather die a few years earlier after a life of eating hamburgers, than not eat hamburgers. This is a decision that only impacts me, and therefore, I should be free to weigh the pros and cons and choose the option that is best for me. Just like I should be able to weigh the pros and cons of wearing a tshirt at rehearsal.

what if the US government banned swimming in the ocean at the beach? There is really no reason that someone should swim in the ocean, right? They could drown. The government could help people by banning this dangerous behavior.

:rolleyes: Ok, ANYTHING can be rolled out to the enth degree to make a point. Acting as if DCI having a mandatory T-shirt rule may lead to the government banning swimming is just...well....STUPID.

Okay, enough of this. I worry about kids not making good choices even if they're raised well, because they don't understand the consequences. You think that's not a legitimate worry. Also, I have 30+ years teaching experience and a Ph.D. in developmental psychology. I am a professor at an SEC university. I'm glad you're going to school with people who are smart. And that you have so successfully raised your own children. But, of course, that's not at all relevant.

Before I respond: teacher (12 years, grades 3-12), parent (grade school child), wife to a man who is albino and thus is keenly aware of sun exposure. And, as you can tell from my signature, I've had some time out in the sun via drum corps.

Yes, excessive sun exposure can contribute to future development of melanoma. Yes, drum corps kids spend a heck of a lot of time out in the sun. Yes, it would be very wise for drum corps kids to put on more clothes, especially shirts. It would also be wise of them to have never eaten junk food, been near environmental toxins, spend hours breathing air pollutants or a zillion other things.

If a parent specifically expects their child to significantly reduce their risk of melanoma, then that parent has 2 courses of action: find a way to get the child to choose to wear a shirt in the face of peer pressure (not a bad thing to learn in this day and age), or don't let them march drum corps. I suppose there is a third option: hope they'll choose the shirt, but accept it when they don't and keep trying to help them make the better choice.

I am aware that the OP means well - I think we all are, despite how the message has been delivered or received. Maybe when people have cooled down we will discover a path to helping our young drum corps members make the choice that reduces their risk without making it a "rule." Or maybe not. But at least the question is out there for everyone to really take in.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/06/18/500-fine-for-lemonade-stand/UPI-76201308380400/

might be more complex than you think

is a sports bra a shirt?

what about a tank top?

a tank top that has had the bottom cut off that now covers as much as a sports bra?

does the shirt have to have sleeves?

a shirt with holes cut out over the nipples?

I have been at rehearsal sites where everyone had to wear a shirt. All of these above things happened.

What if the member doesn't want to wear a shirt? Well, the staff can make them. But what if the staff agrees with the members, and there are no negative consequences for the corps if people don't wear a shirt? Then what?

This isn't rocket science. Pretty much everyone in the freaking WORLD knows what a t-shirt is, but JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T...... No, a sports bra is NOT a t-shirt. A tank top that has had the bottom cut off that now covers as much as a sports bra, is NOT a t-shirt. A T-shirt HAS sleeves (hence the T implication). A shirt with holes cut out over the nipples... well whatever trips your trigger. Christ sake some people just like to argue to hear themselves talk.

• Like 1

Good points. I just thought I would raise the point- I mean here's a place where people spend weeks discussing how wide someone's uniform sash is going to be- I thought I would raise it because it's been on my mind.

You are not the first and you won't be the last to express concerns. It is a good point to consider and make sure people in charge of the kids are always considering their well being. However, many people who have not had the experience working with large groups and organizations usually don't understand the depths of problems that can arise by what they consier a simple rule/ rule change

I believe for the most part you have presented your concerns and questions in a very positive manner. I thank you for actually caring enough to raise the question even though it puts you in the center of a crowd that all have a large bag of rotten tomatoes ready to throw. ( me included :cool: )

Keep in mind this place is loaded with people who enjoy picking flea crap out of a box of pepper :ph34r:

• Like 1

Keep in mind this place is loaded with people who enjoy picking flea crap out of a box of pepper :ph34r:

I avoid this by sticking to salt: The superior spice.

Sometimes when I am teaching I spend 10 minutes trying to make a point and then a student will say something that is so clearly superior to the poor way I am trying to make the argument that I can only shake my head and acknowledge their brilliance and my shortcomings. Consider it done virtually. Namaste.

quote name='TerriTroop' timestamp='1308880450' post='3015351']

Before I respond: teacher (12 years, grades 3-12), parent (grade school child), wife to a man who is albino and thus is keenly aware of sun exposure. And, as you can tell from my signature, I've had some time out in the sun via drum corps.

Yes, excessive sun exposure can contribute to future development of melanoma. Yes, drum corps kids spend a heck of a lot of time out in the sun. Yes, it would be very wise for drum corps kids to put on more clothes, especially shirts. It would also be wise of them to have never eaten junk food, been near environmental toxins, spend hours breathing air pollutants or a zillion other things.

If a parent specifically expects their child to significantly reduce their risk of melanoma, then that parent has 2 courses of action: find a way to get the child to choose to wear a shirt in the face of peer pressure (not a bad thing to learn in this day and age), or don't let them march drum corps. I suppose there is a third option: hope they'll choose the shirt, but accept it when they don't and keep trying to help them make the better choice.

I am aware that the OP means well - I think we all are, despite how the message has been delivered or received. Maybe when people have cooled down we will discover a path to helping our young drum corps members make the choice that reduces their risk without making it a "rule." Or maybe not. But at least the question is out there for everyone to really take in.

I avoid this by sticking to salt: The superior spice.

Salt should be banned because of future high blood pressure :shutup:

Salt should be banned because of future high blood pressure :shutup:

I'm 28. That means I am immortal (I read it somewhere on the internet!). You can't scare me with your "high blood pressure" gambit.

• Like 1