Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

If you're 18, you should have been raised to the point where you can handle those major, life-altering decisions like sunscreen and shirts.

LOL, memories of my folks (more than) a few times when they saw questionible things around me at college or drum corps. Quote was usually "Oh ####, well you're at the age where we have to leave you alone and just wait and see if we raised you right".

Either they raised my sister and myself right or we hid our #### pretty well... :devil::tongue: But I did end up losing a girlf friend over the way some of my corps buddies looked and acted (THANK GOODNESS!!)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Harvard/Columbia/Penn/Georgetown/Standorf/Yale/etc (if you want to have an internet dick measuring contest).

:spitting:

1) are you saying those schools produce the biggest ones ? :shutup:

2) Who's on the judging panel :blink:

3) sample view of the sheets please :omg:

4) Will the green corps get extra credit for what potential it has even if not complete :tongue:

Okay, enough of this. I worry about kids not making good choices even if they're raised well, because they don't understand the consequences. You think that's not a legitimate worry. Also, I have 30+ years teaching experience and a Ph.D. in developmental psychology. I am a professor at an SEC university. I'm glad you're going to school with people who are smart. And that you have so successfully raised your own children. But, of course, that's not at all relevant.

I did read the post. This is how it went:

1. Your want your kid to wear a shirt.

2. Your kid does not want to wear a shirt.

3. Instead of trying to explain to your kid why he should wear a shirt, you think that DCI should force all people in drum corps to wear a shirt.

As I said, do you think DCI should ban junk food from bus boxes also? If not, please explain why the junk food is a different situation.

I did not attack you at all. Why does your kid not want to wear a shirt even if he should? Who taught your kid to make good personal decisions?

I'm happy that your kids are successful. I went to one of the best undergraduate schools in the country and my current summer internship cohort has a number of students from Harvard/Columbia/Penn/Georgetown/Standorf/Yale/etc (if you want to have an internet dick measuring contest).

Perhaps you would be willing to address the content of my post, because I think it made some good points. I gave your question a legitimate answer. Just because it is not the answer you want to hear, does not mean my answer is incorrect.

Edited by dapperpoet
  • Like 1

I truly understand the concern of a parent and why they may have brought this up but as others said DCI can Not tell individuals how to or what to wear or not...smoke or not ( and believe me lots of guard people smoke )the best is to teach your own child,you can only protect so much. Will you make an adult child wear a shirt at the beach, of course not BUT you just teach them to be responsible and then HOPE you have rubbed off on them. NO DCI or a corps is not responsible for such things nor should be IMO

Okay, enough of this. I worry about kids not making good choices even if they're raised well, because they don't understand the consequences. You think that's not a legitimate worry. Also, I have 30+ years teaching experience and a Ph.D. in developmental psychology. I am a professor at an SEC school. I'm glad you're going to school with people who are smart.

The crux of it really is, at what age are young adults accountable for their own decisions? It seems you think that age is older than your son currently is. Many think that if they are marching in a top corps....they should already be at that age.

If you're that adamant about controlling your kid's life on whether or not they wear a shirt on tour then just don't let them march at all.

• Like 3

I truly understand the concern of a parent and why they may have brought this up but as others said DCI can Not tell individuals how to or what to wear or not...smoke or not ( and believe me lots of guard people smoke )the best is to teach your own child,you can only protect so much. Will you make an adult child wear a shirt at the beach, of course not BUT you just teach them to be responsible and then HOPE you have rubbed off on them. NO DCI or a corps is not responsible for such things nor should be IMO

Fair enough, and an excellent point. I agree with you, as I said. But what if they found out that, just for the sake of argument, the materials in plastic rifles caused cancer. Would it be responsible for a youth organization to ignore such a risk? As I said, he's an adult, he's a great kids (to be one of the 12 contras on The Line is pretty much the height of where you can go in DCI). When I see pictures of him without a shirt on I worry. And, from all the knowledgable posters here, that obviously makes me ignorant, a coddler of my children and a bad parent. But if you believe, as some people have said here, that being a parent doesn't significantly change how you see some things in the world, it's hard to know what to say to that.

The crux of it really is, at what age are young adults accountable for their own decisions? It seems you think that age is older than your son currently is. Many think that if they are marching in a top corps....they should already be at that age.

Once again, I recognize that he is old enough to make his own decisions. But is a 14 year old marching Devils B? A 16 year old on the cymbal line of Spirit? That was the point I was trying to make.

Fair enough, and an excellent point. I agree with you, as I said. But what if they found out that, just for the sake of argument, the materials in plastic rifles caused cancer. Would it be responsible for a youth organization to ignore such a risk? As I said, he's an adult, he's a great kids (to be one of the 12 contras on The Line is pretty much the height of where you can go in DCI). When I see pictures of him without a shirt on I worry. And, from all the knowledgable posters here, that obviously makes me ignorant, a coddler of my children and a bad parent. But if you believe, as some people have said here, that being a parent doesn't significantly change how you see some things in the world, it's hard to know what to say to that.

you are right on several points and personally I would NEVER let anyone even debate my parenting skills BUT theres just so much in all aspects we can do for kids today parent, teacher, mentor or not. Teach well, as I'm sure you have, support, drive home your point with them if you need to and then fortunately or unfortunately they have to fly. Question...whos paying their dues...lol..if they are young and you are wellllllll Ivw always say if I pay I have a say....lol