Bluecoats 2011 - A Brave New Creep

Best opener in DCI 2011?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best opener in DCI 2011?

So, more than 95% of those performing in DCI are actual adults and not considered youth in any manner (i.e. they can therefore legally consume alcohol as adults)? Last I checked the average age of a top five corps was still around 19 and the average age of lower OC corps is around 17.

The thread was about the Bluecoats and my comment was in regards to the Bluecoats. i do not have any concrete numbers but I'm pretty sure that 95% of the Bluecoats membership is 18 yrs or older, thus making them adults. Therefore, the adult staff exposing the adult membership to the word Hell is really not that big of an issue.

And as I asked my Bluecoats friends, since when did hell become a swear word?

Also, words are neither good or bad, it is us who put meaning to these words, and I for one see nothing wrong with the word hell. Actually I'll bet if you went to church on sunday there's a pretty good chance that the youth attending that service would be exposed to the same word.

• Like 2

(and you have to be consistent here with what you wrote concerning that there is no difference in sacred between 10 year old language and a 30 year old) it is therefore acceptable in your world for the 10 year olds, if they so choose, to walk around the halls of school saying the F-bomb and the C-word without adult correction.

You took me out of context, and also twisted the connotation of the word "sacred" I was using.

Short answer: The words "idiot," "imbecile," and "moron" were originally incredibly offensive epithets equating someone to a mentally challenged person. In your scenario, the fact that these words have become nothing more than puerile, light-hearted jabs is an unforgivable offense to traditionalist values, while in the real world, it's just the evolution of language. Maybe some day words will become less powerful than you wish they would. It happens, and not due to any one person or thing, just as language changes.

But anyway, the "thread hijack" is a good point; you left your initial point of argument that actually had something to do with the thread four posts ago. I'm going to drop it here, regardless of reply, unless you want to go back to talking about the sample in Bluecoats' 2011 production (which I hear was taken out -- for aesthetics, not censorship. Talk about moot point!).

Edited by Stryfe

The original poster is obviously rooting for the Bluecoats, as am I. He sees obvious design flaws in the program-and he wishes he could fix it. When I have seen the Bluecoats the past few years I have felt the same way. Year after year, their creative package just doesn't work. To me its actually a crying shame to see such a great corps work so hard to perform a show that isn't working. I feel the same way at BOA. How do they get such great bands to perform such clunkers?

How does Radiohead's oldest, most played out song work stylistically with the rest of their show? What does any of it have to do with Aldous Huxley's novel? The show has no stylistic unity. Why do you want to design a show that not only does not jibe w/ your corp's style, it doesn't go together w/ itself?

Why am I such a #####? Why don't I just eat up whatever poop sandwich these show designers serve up, and sit there and applaud like a good fan (for my $50)?

• Like 2

How does Radiohead's oldest, most played out song work stylistically with the rest of their show? What does any of it have to do with Aldous Huxley's novel? The show has no stylistic unity. Why do you want to design a show that not only does not jibe w/ your corp's style, it doesn't go together w/ itself?

Opinions. I accepted long ago that "Brave New World" had nothing to do with Huxley novel, and the show, as they've presented it makes sense to me. If you want to complain about it, feel free. But don't feel like the Bluecoats need you on their design staff to be their savior to fix their problems. I think they've made great strides in the last few years, developing great programs year after year. So they haven't titled -- is that the only important thing?

If you really want to do something, actually write the Bluecoats, find some way to actually affect them. If you can't, then while voicing your complaints on the internet might be source of good catharsis, it won't really affect any change.

Edited by Stryfe

Opinions. I accepted long ago that "Brave New World" had nothing to do with Huxley novel, and the show, as they've presented it makes sense to me. If you want to complain about it, feel free. But don't feel like the Bluecoats need you on their design staff to be their savior to fix their problems. I think they've made great strides in the last few years, developing great programs year after year. So they haven't titled -- is that the only important thing?

If you really want to do something, actually write the Bluecoats, find some way to actually affect them. If you can't, then while voicing your complaints on the internet might be source of good catharsis, it won't really affect any change.

My opinion is that some people have aesthetically developed tastes, and others do not. I wish show designers would show some level of stylistic unity in their productions.

You're right that I can't do anything about it. I could write a letter to the Bluecoats, and I would still be wasting my time. Catharsis was what I was going for.

• Like 1

The original poster is obviously rooting for the Bluecoats, as am I. He sees obvious design flaws in the program-and he wishes he could fix it. When I have seen the Bluecoats the past few years I have felt the same way. Year after year, their creative package just doesn't work. To me its actually a crying shame to see such a great corps work so hard to perform a show that isn't working. I feel the same way at BOA. How do they get such great bands to perform such clunkers?

Why am I such a #####? Why don't I just eat up whatever poop sandwich these show designers serve up, and sit there and applaud like a good fan (for my $50)?

Yes, it is more out of frustration that I see glaring things that could easily be fixed. Will they? That is up to the talented individuals running the Bluecoats.

I do know one thing about any sport or venue: if you listen to the audience, and engage them, the sport grows. If you decide, "hey, we did this for a reason and it makes sense to us, so you just need to understand us" and dis-engage the audience, the sport dies.

It would be a crying shame if they don't re-center the show around "Creep". Give the show a meaning that people understand.

I am kinda bouncing around to all these great threads going on right now. Is that what all you clowns call trolling? I never really got that memo on what that was. This thread is funny, I am a homer I picked THE MADISON SCOUTS! duh!

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

IF a drum corps were to drop the F bomb in a narrative portion of the show, it would only be because that word has become publicly and legally acceptable; that's for society to decide, not drum corps.

til then I can dream of the "You think I'm funny how" rant in a Goodfellas show

• Like 1