NOW THAT YOU HAVE SEEN THE CORPS - What are your PREDICTIONS for DCI?

Well now that I've seen almost all of the top 12 shows, haven't seen BKnights or Boston yet, I'd like to go ahead and predict the Cavaliers will win.

I just think the Cavaliers' show has a little more room to expand artistry-wise than the Cadets' show - albeit by very little - and I really don't think the Cadets can go from 5th one year to 1st the next.

1)Cavs

2)Cadets

3)Blue Devils

4)Crown (their brass is very good, has a very good sound - it will keep them away from Bluecoats)

5)Bluecoats

6-11 in no particular order, Blue Stars, Scouts, SCV, Phantom, BKnights, Crusaders

(Not going to predict these yet, but I do have some good ideas based upon show design.)

12) Spirit - I think this show rocks. I'd love to see them make finals. I think they can.

13)Academy

14)Troopers

15)Glassmen

Not going to comment on the rest for now, but I do think Glassmen will lose their finals spot - I think the Troopers will pass them, but I haven't seen Academy yet, I think they might have a shot at beating both.

So far my favorite shows so far are

Cadets,

Blue Devils (omg, I can't believe I said that - but I love their music this year. Not a fan of the drill.)

SCV - actually am not the biggest fan of this show - yet - just very intrigued by it so far - very interesting concept with minimal music - not necessarily minimalist, but the fact that they are not loud. It is not a typical in-your-face drum corps show. Almost like Star 1993. It is hard to say where this show will top out at. There are so many things they could do with this show. I'd like to see some of the music get re-edited, to make it more fan-friendly, but the drill is neat.

I don't understand the Bluecoats show - just very glad they took out the "What the he%% am I doing here?" voice recording. It just felt wrong that they would use profanity in a show - very distasteful - so I'm glad they took it out. There are young children in the audience that do not need to hear profanities like that.

I like the Cavs show, just haven't fully understood it yet. I don't find the drill all that difficult this year around compared to previous years. I love that sound they make with the tubas in that one section. Music in this show is nice. Loving the Bach.

Phantom - it is pretty and glitzy. They have a good brass sound. That is about all the good things I can say about it at this point. The drill is a bit easy, and half of their show is a ballad. I feel that after last year's show, they might have written a show a little more challenging for their members.

I really hate it when a design team designs a show that is not challenging enough to take their members to that next level in their music education. I don't like it when they play it safe and make something easy so they can get an extra .5 pts from it. Or when they water down a part somewhere mid-season. I say make the kids do it. Or take the time to teach them properly.

Double tonguing should pretty much be a requirement for anyone thinking about auditioning for a top 12 corps. If you can't double tongue, well, then I suggest you learn, it is really not hard to learn to do properly. The music caption heads can teach that stuff too. The kids don't pay $1500-$3500 to learn an 11 minute show. They also pay to get more music education - teach that stuff! Teach how to double tongue, and don't take it out because you think the kids can't do it, and you don't feel like taking an hour to work on it.

Anyways, I'll stop ranting about that.

Well now that I've seen almost all of the top 12 shows, haven't seen BKnights or Boston yet, I'd like to go ahead and predict the Cavaliers will win.

I just think the Cavaliers' show has a little more room to expand artistry-wise than the Cadets' show - albeit by very little - and I really don't think the Cadets can go from 5th one year to 1st the next.

1)Cavs

2)Cadets

3)Blue Devils

4)Crown (their brass is very good, has a very good sound - it will keep them away from Bluecoats)

5)Bluecoats

6-11 in no particular order, Blue Stars, Scouts, SCV, Phantom, BKnights, Crusaders

(Not going to predict these yet, but I do have some good ideas based upon show design.)

12) Spirit - I think this show rocks. I'd love to see them make finals. I think they can.

13)Academy

14)Troopers

15)Glassmen

Not going to comment on the rest for now, but I do think Glassmen will lose their finals spot - I think the Troopers will pass them, but I haven't seen Academy yet, I think they might have a shot at beating both.

Cadets went 5th to 1st 1989-1990, 4th to first 2004-2005. I'm confused by that rationale.

To early to really have an accurate prediction. I have seen most all the shows via Fan Network, but I always get a better read live.

As of now, via the scores out there and my initial read of their shows, I'd say:

1. Cadets

2. Cavaliers

3. Blue Devils

4. Crown

5. Bluecoats/Phantom

7. SCV/Madison

9. Blue Stars

10. Spirit

11. Boston

12. Glassmen

I will say this, from what I have seen of the Scouts...they are the dark horse. No, not for the title, but for top 5. If SCV, Phantom, Bluecoats, and Crown fans think that Madison is not in their sights, they should think again. The Scouts show is a sleeper and may just end up 5th.

• Like 2

I think this is the Cadets' year and we'll see Madison surge. Blue Stars and Bluecoats may have tripped themselves up (though I'm glad to hear Bluecoats took out the voiceover--please everyone leave out any sampled or amplified voice, though I'm happy to hear mass voices from the corps) this year. Also, SCV will surprise.

1. Cadets

2. Cavaliers

3. Blue Devils

4. Madison

5. SCV

6. Crown

7. Phantom

8. Bluecoats

9. Boston

10. Blue Stars

11. Blue Knights

12. Spirit

I think the point groupings will be 1-2, 3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-11, 12.

As for my personal favorites of what I've seen, Cadets and Madison have bowled me over. Amazing shows. I knew I would appreciate SCV because of their approach, but I was surprised at how much I just viscerally enjoyed it. I liked Cavies, and I think I will really enjoy Crown given some more time to grow. It's a great year for drum corps, though. I even like the Blue Devils show this year.

• Like 1

After seeing most of the corps now and the first week of competition down i'd have to put it like this.

1. Cadets

2. Cavs

3. BD

4. Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Phantom

7. Madison

8. SCV

9. Blue Stars

10. Blue Knights

11. Boston

12. Spirit of Atlanta

13. Glassmen

That's as far as I can go with confidence until Colts and Cascades finally show up.

• Like 1

There's almost seven weeks left in the season, but it's still too early to know what could happen. Just a couple of observations. It's very unusual that Blue Devils are scoring this low in the early part of the season; traditionally they have been the most consistent corps in the last couple of decades. Cadets have never started off this well scoring wise. Usually, they don't get their stuff together til around San Antonio.

This should be an interesting season tho. I know it's been said before, but this season could be one of the best in a very long time....This, I Believe ;)

I really don't think the Cadets can go from 5th one year to 1st the next.

The Cadets went from 5th to 1st in '89 to '90 " in one year to win ".

The Madison Scouts went from 6th to 1st in '87 to '88 " in one year to win ".

The Phantom Regiment went from 5th to 1st in '95 to '96 " in one year to win ".

Just sayin'

The Cadets went from 5th to 1st in '89 to '90 " in one year to win ".

The Madison Scouts went from 6th to 1st in '87 to '88 " in one year to win ".

The Phantom Regiment went from 5th to 1st in '95 to '96 " in one year to win ".

Just sayin'

Phantom went from tied for 5th (with us) to tied for 1st from quarters to finals in '96. Truly spectacular.

Question: What is the ruling on if there is a semifinals tie? IF there is no tie-breaker rule, i have a feeling we may be watching more than 12 corps compete on August 13th, and i dont think that is too bold of a statement either. Thoughts?

I've been saying and hoping for this for several years....

A tie for 12th would be fun to see.