Drum Corps Trivia

Pre DCI, Troopers won the VFW in 1966, then the consensus National Championship. Boston was 2nd at VFW in 1970.

• Like 1

You're both wrong...on a technicality. VK used a set of 2V sopranos to field test with special permission in 1976. It was an agreement between DCI and Zig Kanstul to evaluate the horns' performance. These were the prototypes for the American Heritage bugles.

Bonus trivia: What brand name was stamped on the bells of the 1976 2V sopranos that VK played?

Garry in Vegas

I would have to guess Benge too.

1) What year was the first ever drum corps championship? (pre- DCI)

Doesn't matter, REAL drumcorps didn't start until Bb's in 2000! ;-P

2) Who was the first person inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame?

Richard Petty? Oh I'm sorry....that was Nascar

3) During the 1988 Madison Scouts Mello Solo (at the end), what were the cymbals doing while it was played?

They were sizing their championship rings with Jostens over by the 25 yard line

4) What was the highest DCI placement recorded by the 27th Lamcers?

27th?

5) What year had the most Div 1 Corps in Compeition?

It must've been before 1983, because it's been all slotting and no competition since then!

6) When were caption awards started at the DCI World Championships?

I'm gonna guess 1972

7) When were Sabers first used in DCI?

1990 in Buffalo NY. I think they had the hockey team serve as ushers. If you entered the seating area during a performance, they'd cross check you into the tunnel wall.

8) How many different combinations have there been in the top 6 since DCI was established?

I don't understand the question

9) What was the first year the 2 valve Bugle was introduced and used?

I mean really....why couldn't they just have gone ahead and invented the 3 valve bugle right away....why did we have to suffer through a decade of missing the 3rd valve?

10) My wife wants to know know who the sexy BK soprano soloist was in the opener of Ben Hur?

I could lie and tell you it was me.....she hot? haha j/k

Pretty sure Sam is right about 1977 being the first year of the 2-valve bugle. They were introduced a section at a time, with 2-valve sopranos being the only ones legal that first year. I know that Spirit of Atlanta's first set of horns in 1977 had 2-valve sops, but piston/rotors for mid- and low brass.

They could add 2-piston contras at any time as many corps back then only bought a few horns per season due to cost.

Also, I think corps could add only one section/wear - most chose sops, but some may have done baritones first

They could add 2-piston contras at any time as many corps back then only bought a few horns per season due to cost.

Also, I think corps could add only one section/wear - most chose sops, but some may have done baritones first

Found this on this website

Proposal No. 1035 by Santa Clara Vanguard's director Gail Royer and the Madison Scout's director Bill Howard stated:

Each bugle shall be pitched in the key of G and may have two piston valves, or one piston and one rotary, or two rotary valves used freely to play in tow additional keys. Any other variation of these types of instruments and all other types of instruments are illegal.

No two piston soprano bugles may be utilized before the 1977 season. No two piston bass baritones may be utilized before the 1978 season. No two piston mellophones, French horns, flugles, or Contra Bass bugles may be utilized before the 1979 season.(89)

I marched during that time and this is pretty much what happened.

As Artie Johnson would say "Vveerrryy intereshting..." Never knew that.

As for the brand name....Olds or Benge is my guess.

Ding ding ding! Benge is correct!

Garry in Vegas

O.k. - Here's a bit of obscure trivia. What Corps Director

in the 80s could drink all others under the table and still

be able to walk....and is still alive?

1) What year was the first ever drum corps championship? (pre- DCI)

American Legion had their first in 1921 which was what we'd call All-Age. First Jr Champs for AL was 1937. VFW might have had Jr contests before then but have to dig out History of Drum Corps book.

American Legion had their first in 1921 which was what we'd call All-Age. First Jr Champs for AL was 1937. VFW might have had Jr contests before then but have to dig out History of Drum Corps book.

1927 VFW National Drum and Bugle Corps Championship was held in Paris, France.

US Drum and Bugle Corps went there that year for the "national" Championship.

1927 VFW National Drum and Bugle Corps Championship was held in Paris, France.

US Drum and Bugle Corps went there that year for the "national" Championship.

I know you're tired man as ya have a typo.... It was the AL at Paris.... Know this is the Jr side but name the corps that was at Paris and was later at DCA Prelims at few times.

What was the biggest difference between 1962 VFW Champs and 1963 VFW Champs? And I don't mean Seattle doesn't look like Minneapolis. :devil:

Edited by JimF-LowBari