Fred Sanford Percussion Trophy

Here is the list that the majority of DCPers came to a consensus about a few years ago. Remember, some years, the award was based solely off the finals score, and some years it was an average of quarter/semis/finals/prelims/etc... These were the awards that were announced and actually given out:

Percussion

1972 - Kingsmen

1973 - Vanguard

1974 - Vanguard

1975 - Vanguard

1976 - Blue Devils

1977 - Blue Devils

1978 - Vanguard

1979 - Vanguard

1980 - Bridgemen

1981 - Bridgemen

1982 - Bridgemen

1983 - Blue Devils

1984 - Blue Devils

1985 - Blue Devils

1986 - Blue Devils

1987 - Cadets

1988 - Vanguard

1989 - Vanguard

1990 - Cadets

1991 - Vanguard/Star/Cavaliers

1992 - Cavaliers

1993 - Star

1994 - Blue Devils

1995 - Cavaliers

1996 - Blue Devils

1997 - Blue Devils

1998 - Vanguard

1999 - Cavaliers

2000 - Cavaliers

2001 - Cadets

2002 - Cadets

2003 - Cadets

2004 - Vanguard

2005 - Cadets

2006 - Phantom Regiment

2007 - Blue Devils

2008 - Phantom Regiment

2009 - Blue Devils

2010 - Phantom Regiment

..... and while we are at it, let me go ahead and post Colorguard and Brass in case anyone else is interested:

Colorguard

1972 - Kingsmen

1973 - Troopers

1974 - SCV

1975 - 27th

1976 - 27th

1977 - Phantom Regiment

1978 - SCV

1979 - 27th Lancers

1980 - 27th Lancers

1981 - SCV

1982 - Blue Devils

1983 - Madison Scouts

1984 - Blue Devils

1985 - Spirit of Atlanta

1986 - Blue Devils

1987 - Spirit of Atlanta

1988 - Phantom Regiment

1989 - Cadets

1990 - Blue Devils

1991 - Cadets

1992 - Blue Devils

1993 - Cadets

1994 - Cadets

1995 - Blue Devils

1996 - Cadets

1997 - Blue Devils

1998 - Blue Devils

1999 - Blue Devils

2000 - Cavaliers

2001 - Blue Devils

2002 - Cavaliers

2003 - Blue Devils

2004 - Cavaliers

2005 - Cadets

2006 - Blue Devils

2007 - Cavaliers

2008 - Blue Devils

2009 - Blue Devils

2010 - Blue Devils

Brass

1972 - Kingsmen

1973 - Madison Scouts

1974 - Madison Scouts

1975 - Madison Scouts

1976 - Blue Devils

1977 - Blue Devils

1978 - Phantom

1979 - Blue Devils

1980 - Blue Devils

1981 - Blue Devils

1982 - Blue Devils

1983 - Cadets

1984 - Cadets/Blue Devils/SCV

1985 - Cadets/Blue Devils

1986 - Blue Devils

1987 - Cadets/SCV

1988 - Blue Devils

1989 - Phantom

1990 - Star

1991 - Blue Devils/Star

1992 - Star

1993 - Blue Devils/Star

1994 - Blue Devils

1995 - Blue Devils/Cadets/Scouts

1996 - Phantom

1997 - Blue Devils

1998 - Blue Devils

1999 - Blue Devils

2000 - Cadets

2001 - Blue Devils

2002 - Cavaliers

2003 - Blue Devils

2004 - Blue Devils

2005 - Cadets

2006 - Cavaliers

2007 - Blue Devils

2008 - Blue Devils

2009 - Carolina Crown

2010 - Blue Devils

...and the leaders in each caption:

Percussion

Blue Devils - 11

Vanguard - 10

Cadets - 6

Cavaliers - 5

Colorguard

Blue Devils - 15

Cadets - 6

27th Lancers - 4

Cavaliers - 4

Brass

Blue Devils - 23

Cadets - 7

Madison Scouts - 4

Star of Indiana - 4

Edited by Tez
  • Like 5

I thought the Cadets won percussion in 1994?

Also, I believe the BD/PR pattern repeated itself these past two seasons...

2009 Blue Devils

2010 Phantom Regiment

I think TEZ has the more accurate list. You are right that the Cadets took the high percussion score on finals night in 1994...but the scores that year were then averaged over the 3 days, so BD got the trophy. That may have been the only year they did that. I think after that the corps directors decided that who ever won that night should be the winner.

I think TEZ has the more accurate list. You are right that the Cadets took the high percussion score on finals night in 1994...but the scores that year were then averaged over the 3 days, so BD got the trophy. That may have been the only year they did that. I think after that the corps directors decided that who ever won that night should be the winner.

Except they're back to averaging it out now over the three performances, aren't they?

Here is the list that the majority of DCPers came to a consensus about a few years ago. Remember, some years, the award was based solely off the finals score, and some years it was an average of quarter/semis/finals/prelims/etc... These were the awards that were announced and actually given out:

So the only corps to win a percussion title and not have won DCI at some point is the Bridgemen.

Colorguard is 27th, Troopers and Spirit.

Brass is... Crown.

Mike

• Like 1

Why do we have to rehash this at least once a year??

Another thing to consider -- When DCI put out the "Legacy" series of DVDs a few years ago they finally put in print, and the commentators on the 1980 DVD stated that there was a tie in high percussion at finals in 1980 -- Spirit of Atlanta and Bridgemen shared the high percussion score. Here's exactly what happened that night -- Spirit had high execution (one-tenth higher than Bridgemen), 27th Lancers had high Perc. Analysis score, Bridgemen were second in perc. analysis (one-tenth higher than Spirit). Thus, Spirit and Bridgemen were tied at the top. The decision was made that night to break the tie with the percussion general effect score (which was part of the G.E. caption) and the trophy was awarded to the Bridgemen. It is not my intention to try to take anything away from the Bridgemen by posting this explanation -- they were fantastic! But, it is interesting to note, and probably the only time in DCI history, that the drum trophy went to a corps that did not have the high score in either of the percussion sub-captions. A disclaimer is appropriate here: I was a member of the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta line. I noticed earlier in the thread that it was posted about what happened when Tom Float's 1977 Oakland Crusaders line won prelims but didn't get to compete in finals. We felt as though Float got overlooked again in 1980, when the tie was not announced at finals. After that year, DCI started announcing caption ties.

That's right, I had observed that when I read the scores. I would love to see some of that Oakland footage, if any exists. They sound like quite the legendary drumline!

Another thing to consider -- When DCI put out the "Legacy" series of DVDs a few years ago they finally put in print, and the commentators on the 1980 DVD stated that there was a tie in high percussion at finals in 1980 -- Spirit of Atlanta and Bridgemen shared the high percussion score. Here's exactly what happened that night -- Spirit had high execution (one-tenth higher than Bridgemen), 27th Lancers had high Perc. Analysis score, Bridgemen were second in perc. analysis (one-tenth higher than Spirit). Thus, Spirit and Bridgemen were tied at the top. The decision was made that night to break the tie with the percussion general effect score (which was part of the G.E. caption) and the trophy was awarded to the Bridgemen. It is not my intention to try to take anything away from the Bridgemen by posting this explanation -- they were fantastic! But, it is interesting to note, and probably the only time in DCI history, that the drum trophy went to a corps that did not have the high score in either of the percussion sub-captions. A disclaimer is appropriate here: I was a member of the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta line. I noticed earlier in the thread that it was posted about what happened when Tom Float's 1977 Oakland Crusaders line won prelims but didn't get to compete in finals. We felt as though Float got overlooked again in 1980, when the tie was not announced at finals. After that year, DCI started announcing caption ties.

I had always heard stories about that great Oakland Crusaders line that won prelims but never knew that Tom Float was the caption head for them! Amazing...but not surprised after seeing what he did with the Spirit line and then later with BD and their drumline trophies.

Why do we have to rehash this at least once a year??

Probably because not everyone can keep track of the 25,000+ threads available in "DCI World Class Corps Discussions" and even the search box can only narrow it down so far. That is, assuming the 100+ new users DCP gains each week (or even some of the forum vets, for that matter) are savvy enough with the message board software to know how to do searches.

Probably because not everyone can keep track of the 25,000+ threads available in "DCI World Class Corps Discussions" and even the search box can only narrow it down so far. That is, assuming the 100+ new users DCP gains each week (or even some of the forum vets, for that matter) are savvy enough with the message board software to know how to do searches.

Thank you for explaining that. Since I'm a DCP newbie and all, I figured that if I said that, I would have sounded like a whiner.

I know you all like to keep DCP free of whiners :blink: hehe :tongue: