Regiment's new ballad

"A Time for Us" is a weak piece of music to begin with, so it was a given that using it as a ballad might not work out...I doubt even the best arranger in the world could make an epic brass ballad out of it.

Funny, I just commented about this in another discussion. That piece has always been referred to a pure schmaltz. I agree it is definately the weak part of the show and saps the momentum.

From what I've been told, it should be a substantial change.

My daughter and I talked last night. This will show you how one hand doesn't always know what the other is doing!

From what I hear, there are only fixes going in: The pacing and staging of the Lacrymosa to set up the "dance" ala ballad; the dead time (what a momentum killer an d a non-trnsition) from the end of ballad I and beginning of Proko, etc.

Now, this comes from a color guard person, who had the experience enough to say, "The horns and percussion may have drill changes, but we know we don't......We're on seperate fields most of the day." To her, lots of adjustments, with the exception of some rewritten guard work.

As long as there are improvements in the program......Life is good.

I like some of the Carpenters stuff, there is such a sadness hiding behind the sugary-pop melodies, it’s all very tragic. Sonic Youth’s version of “Superstar” flips the structure by putting the haunting alienation up front pushing the pop to the back

I’d love to see a show based upon their version of “Calling occupants of interplanetary Craft”. I see the ballad with the corps standing still, in complete silence for a minute, hats off, glaring like the exorcist-child and having the audience join as we attempt make contact with aliens through telepathy. It seems a natural for the Cadets Hoppy Requiem show with its Barry Manilow Medley, closer would be Telepathic Surgery highlights; Drug machine in heaven / chrome plated suicide / UFO story.

Wiki highligts on 'Calling occupants of interplanetary Craft'

The Carpenters covered the song, using a crew of 160 musicians

The idea for this track was suggested by an actual event that is described in The Flying Saucer Reader, a book by Jay David published in 1967. In March 1953 an organization known as the "International Flying Saucer Bureau" sent a bulletin to all its members urging them to participate in an experiment termed "World Contact Day" whereby, at a predetermined date and time, they would attempt to collectively send out a telepathic message to visitors from outer space. The message began with the words..."Calling occupants of interplanetary craft!"

subject matter similar to Steven Spielberg's film Close Encounters of the Third Kind--in fact, the Carpenters' version predates the release of that film by about a month. The success of their version led to the duo receiving many letters from people asking when World Contact Day would be held. It also led to a Carpenters television special, "The Carpenters...Space Encounters".

the Carpenters' version opens with a radio DJ on a request show. The DJ identifies his caller as "Mike Ledgerwood." As the DJ asks the caller what song he wants to hear, an alien voice converses with the DJ.

link to wiki

• Like 1

First, I'm not knocking anything that anyone is doing at PR. I've been in their shoes and understand all too well the limitations of the drum corps tour world as compared to the "armchair quarterback" world we are in as observers/fans sitting in front of the computer screen.

So "A Time For Us": What can be done to make it stronger, while being sure to continue to amplify the story?

Melodic structure is simple A-B-A.

First A - Leave it alone except for tweaks

B - Is boring and feels like the filler used in a cheap hot dog. So what do we do to a cheap hot dog? Either smother it in condiments to cover up the cheap dog - the core is still a bad filler, or we add a little good filler and lots of spices, etc. and change it into something more than a crappy hot dog.....say, a brat or smoked sausage.

Idea - Take the B section and intertwine the Juliet theme (Eden) AND Elsa's (a little foreshadowing). If you need to trash the original B section, do it.

A section part II (hit)

Use the end of B to make a musical build into the hit. :thumbup:

The A melodic material needs a countermelody added.

Bite the bullet and build a "clap here dummy" moment. Build out of the last minor chord, throw three nice, big chords in progression and resolution at FF, release ('Clap here, dummy') and continue the resolution/transition.

Ahh, the transition to Proko: One of the longest phrases, both musically and visually. Also a momentum killer. Is being addressed, so I'll keep my opinion.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

First, I'm not knocking anything that anyone is doing at PR. I've been in their shoes and understand all too well the limitations of the drum corps tour world as compared to the "armchair quarterback" world we are in as observers/fans sitting in front of the computer screen.

So "A Time For Us": What can be done to make it stronger, while being sure to continue to amplify the story?

Melodic structure is simple A-B-A.

First A - Leave it alone except for tweaks

B - Is boring and feels like the filler used in a cheap hot dog. So what do we do to a cheap hot dog? Either smother it in condiments to cover up the cheap dog - the core is still a bad filler, or we add a little good filler and lots of spices, etc. and change it into something more than a crappy hot dog.....say, a brat or smoked sausage.

Idea - Take the B section and intertwine the Juliet theme (Eden) AND Elsa's (a little foreshadowing). If you need to trash the original B section, do it.

A section part II (hit)

Use the end of B to make a musical build into the hit. :thumbup:

The A melodic material needs a countermelody added.

Bite the bullet and build a "clap here dummy" moment. Build out of the last minor chord, throw three nice, big chords in progression and resolution at FF, release ('Clap here, dummy') and continue the resolution/transition.

Ahh, the transition to Proko: One of the longest phrases, both musically and visually. Also a momentum killer. Is being addressed, so I'll keep my opinion.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

so what you're saying is their replacing juliet with a smoked sausage... :ph34r:

The Regiment are the undisputed world champions of the tweek/rewrite. I have every confidence they will get it right.

I'm just curious, but have you listened to the 74 PR show?

Every single day, for an entire summer, for 5 years.

I even called some phamily members that marched in '74 and they concur. They DID NOT play a time for us.

Just as announced above, they played the Tchaik, but they played the section with the same motif as the Rota piece.

Every single day, for an entire summer, for 5 years.

I even called some phamily members that marched in '74 and they concur. They DID NOT play a time for us.

Then their memories are in need of refreshing. The first 16 bars out of concert are "A Time for Us", as it would have been known to any audience member in 1974 who watched the show.

Those who are running from the title of the piece are sort of like someone claiming that they were humming "The Alphabet Song" instead of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", despite the fact that the two songs are, in fact, the same piece of music.

What can be done to make it stronger, while being sure to continue to amplify the story?

As long as it's not the "Hooked on Largo" approach from '89 with snares on ride cymbals, it's cool...

Edited by mobrien

so what you're saying is their replacing juliet with a smoked sausage... :ph34r:

The Regiment are the undisputed world champions of the tweek/rewrite. I have every confidence they will get it right.

Or a good midwestern bratwurst!!!!! Either way, I'm happy!

I know Regiment will "Get it right". Looking forward to seeing/hearing the work they've done the last few days.

Watch the show without the sound....then watch Crown, Cavies, BD or Cadets....not even in the same league.

Heck, watch it without the video OR the sound....and they are no better than any other corps.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1