What If: Madison Scouts in the Top 8

143 members have voted

1. 1. The Madison Scouts place within the Top 8 at the 2011 DCI World Championships. Assuming 2012 mirrors 2011, do they...

• ...participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...decline participation in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...do something else entirely? (Specify)
  2. 2. The Madison Scouts decide to participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions which mirrors the 2011 season. Are you...

• ...more likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...less likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...equally likely to attend a TOC event?
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself...

• ...a die-hard Scouts fan?
    • ...a general Scouts fan?
    • ...indifferent to the Scouts?
    • ...an individual who dislikes the Scouts?

Interesting, considering 2 all-male corps account for roughly 25% of ALL championships since the formation of DCI. A different way of looking at your stats, but that's pretty remarkable being that (for the majority of that time) they were just 2 of hundreds of corps. So less than 1% of the corps (historically speaking) hold 25% of the hardware. I think that is supportive of my argument.

i mean your right, those are impressive stats, but my point is that if their talent pool is so much better, than the way i look at it, is they should be winning 75% of the time. I am not sure if there is anyway we could every actually no for sure who is for sure right on this point.

but what did you think about the post where i said this

"So be an example! But not a example of how to rebel, be an example, and show other corps that the competition is not over, dont lay down and say hey we didnt make it this year, lets be POed at those who did. Be an example of the corps who fought to get in. Take the TOC competitors and shove it down their face that you can prove to the world that you are better, and you can beat them!"

i mean your right, those are impressive stats, but my point is that if their talent pool is so much better, than the way i look at it, is they should be winning 75% of the time. I am not sure if there is anyway we could every actually no for sure who is for sure right on this point.

but what did you think about the post where i said this

"So be an example! But not a example of how to rebel, be an example, and show other corps that the competition is not over, dont lay down and say hey we didnt make it this year, lets be POed at those who did. Be an example of the corps who fought to get in. Take the TOC competitors and shove it down their face that you can prove to the world that you are better, and you can beat them!"

Well yeah, but who says that is happening? No one is rolling over and playing dead in the middle of the season, so they are well on their way to beating at least one (and possibly more) TOC corps. Still time to go, but the Scouts are definitely in position to upset the TOC apple cart.

• Like 1

Well yeah, but who says that is happening? No one is rolling over and playing dead in the middle of the season, so they are well on their way to beating at least one (and possibly more) TOC corps. Still time to go, but the Scouts are definitely in position to upset the TOC apple cart.

Maybe not, but im sure there are other corps that are saying "Man i wish we could compete at that show, but theres no way that we could ever do that, its gonna be harder than ever to break into the top 8... Oh wait... whos that? The Madison Scouts!? Theyre doing it!" Now if the scouts do finish 8th or higher, whats going to be better for the activity, the scouts make it in, but then destroy the whole idea by not participating, or showing that the best way to shove it to the G7, is by beating them out in a TOC event. My point is, that like it or not, TOC events are selling tickets, the interest in DC hasnt been this high in years, people havent been this excited to see a show in lord knows how long, what point would madison be proving by ruining all of that?

Maybe not, but im sure there are other corps that are saying "Man i wish we could compete at that show, but theres no way that we could ever do that, its gonna be harder than ever to break into the top 8... Oh wait... whos that? The Madison Scouts!? Theyre doing it!" Now if the scouts do finish 8th or higher, whats going to be better for the activity, the scouts make it in, but then destroy the whole idea by not participating, or showing that the best way to shove it to the G7, is by beating them out in a TOC event. My point is, that like it or not, TOC events are selling tickets, the interest in DC hasnt been this high in years, people havent been this excited to see a show in lord knows how long, what point would madison be proving by ruining all of that?

I'd vote for the latter.

A few points:

1. I'd wait for official figures on the TOC shows before singing their praises.

2. People are excited about drum corps on here EVERY year, but is not always a good gauge.

3. Drum corps attendance is waaaay off from years ago and was in a pretty steady decline from the mid 90's until recently (amazingly coincidental with the esoteric, strange shows).

4. The interest in drum corps hasn't been high enough to even keep it on PBS since '93...much less the abysmal attempt on ESPN a few years ago. Let's not forget, finals used to be a live event on PBS every year.

5. Ticket prices are on par right now with attending a major league baseball game at some shows which is ridiculously high.

So let's not get carried away yet. Interest in drum corps may be getting better and it may be getting worse. Don't know for sure. But to act as if the TOC has single-handedly turned things around would be premature at best.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I'd vote for the latter.

A few points:

1. I'd wait for official figures on the TOC shows before singing their praises.

2. People are excited about drum corps on here EVERY year, but is not always a good gauge.

3. Drum corps attendance is waaaay off from years ago and was in a pretty steady decline from the mid 90's until recently (amazingly coincidental with the esoteric, strange shows).

4. The interest in drum corps hasn't been high enough to even keep it on PBS since '93...much less the abysmal attempt on ESPN a few years ago. Let's not forget, finals used to be a live event on PBS every year.

5. Ticket prices are on par right now with attending a major league baseball game at some shows which is ridiculously high.

So let's not get carried away yet. Interest in drum corps may be getting better and it may be getting worse. Don't know for sure. But to act as if the TOC has single-handedly turned thugs around would be premature at best.

I guess the best we can do is wait and see. :satisfied:

I guess the best we can do is wait and see. :satisfied:

Also ironic that it's a Tournament of "Champions" when only 5 of the 8 are actual former champions. Should have just named it "The Chosen Few" and at least had a title that was more fitting. :cool:

• Like 1

Also ironic that it's a Tournament of "Champions" when only 5 of the 8 are actual former champions. Should have just named it "The Chosen Few" and at least had a title that was more fitting. :cool:

Eh details lol If you wanna get technical others have won in other divisions :tongue:

Eh details lol If you wanna get technical others have won in other divisions :tongue:

Ok, 7 of 8 still doesn't qualify. :tongue:

Ok, 7 of 8 still doesn't qualify. :tongue:

Dangit! you win :wink:

Maybe we just can't accept the fact that we're all crazy. :tongue: