What If: Madison Scouts in the Top 8

143 members have voted

1. 1. The Madison Scouts place within the Top 8 at the 2011 DCI World Championships. Assuming 2012 mirrors 2011, do they...

• ...participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...decline participation in the 2012 Tour of Champions?
    • ...do something else entirely? (Specify)
  2. 2. The Madison Scouts decide to participate in the 2012 Tour of Champions which mirrors the 2011 season. Are you...

• ...more likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...less likely to attend a TOC event?
    • ...equally likely to attend a TOC event?
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself...

• ...a die-hard Scouts fan?
    • ...a general Scouts fan?
    • ...indifferent to the Scouts?
    • ...an individual who dislikes the Scouts?

Totally agree.

Having said that, IF the TOC exists next year and Madison "qualifies", I think they'll join.

I believe they would also.....But as far as being behind the 8 ball as he says I get what hes saying BUT why would that be true? Scouts proved that wrong this year seems..hmmmmmmm blows that theory I think :tongue: Personally I dont think its because of some grandeous fabo show either..they are just good. enough said :smile:

I believe they would also.....But as far as being behind the 8 ball as he says I get what hes saying BUT why would that be true? Scouts proved that wrong this year seems..hmmmmmmm blows that theory I think :tongue: Personally I dont think its because of some grandeous fabo show either..they are just good. enough said :smile:

And you would have to figure that they are going to get much, Much, MUCH... Better!

perhaps you do not remember, but killing off the smaller corps (removing DCI support for open class, taking away non G7 votes regarding DCI decision making) is EXACTLY what the G7 was trying to do.

I said nothing about what the G7 was trying to do, i am only talking about what DCI actually did. So no, the TOC events are not killing off smaller groups, because DCI didnt approve it.

ding ding ding

ding ding ding

Non sequitur point he made. By virtue of being one of 2 all-male corps, you can't lump the Scouts in with every other non-G7 corps except just on the surface fact that they are a drum and bugle corps. The makeup of the membership is indeed different. If a guy wants to march an all-male corps, he has 2 options.

So they do draw great talent which has allowed them to make some substantial placement leaps. I wouldn't expect that to be the same for every corps, so the Scouts and the Cavaliers tend to be an anomaly in those respects. If the Scouts were to place as high as 6th this season, that's 9 placements in 2 years! How often does that happen in the modern drum corps era. It's my opinion that the uniqueness of the Scouts (and, thusly, the Cavaliers) that is a contributing factor.

So like I said before, the Scouts are but an example. My position is more about standing in the gap for ALL the non-G7 corps. The Scouts are seemingly in a position to do that.

Non sequitur point he made. By virtue of being one of 2 all-male corps, you can't lump the Scouts in with every other non-G7 corps except just on the surface fact that they are a drum and bugle corps. The makeup of the membership is indeed different. If a guy wants to march an all-male corps, he has 2 options.

I personally do not hold either corps to a higher or lower level because they are the last 2 all male corps in world class. They ARE a drum and bugle corps just like all the others, rich in their own traditions, one of their traditions is being all male, and its nothing other than a tradition, just like SUTA, or FCO or any other tradition a corps has.

So they do draw great talent which has allowed them to make some substantial placement leaps. I wouldn't expect that to be the same for every corps, so the Scouts and the Cavaliers tend to be an anomaly in those respects.

There is actually just as much talent if not more talent that co-ed corps, not all talented males want to go march an all male corps, plus all the great female talent out there. If anything, being all male inhibits their talent pool.

If the Scouts were to place as high as 6th this season, that's 9 placements in 2 years! How often does that happen in the modern drum corps era. It's my opinion that the uniqueness of the Scouts (and, thusly, the Cavaliers) that is a contributing factor.

You are preaching to the Blue Stars choir about making leaps and bounds in positioning. Not to mention the Troopers 09 reserection.

So like I said before, the Scouts are but an example. My position is more about standing in the gap for ALL the non-G7 corps. The Scouts are seemingly in a position to do that.

So be an example! But not a example of how to rebel, be an example, and show other corps that the competition is not over, dont lay down and say hey we didnt make it this year, lets be POed at those who did. Be an example of the corps who fought to get in. Take the TOC competitors and shove it down their face that you can prove to the world that you are better, and you can beat them!

• Like 1

I said nothing about what the G7 was trying to do, i am only talking about what DCI actually did. So no, the TOC events are not killing off smaller groups, because DCI didnt approve it.

sure... for now.

just like DCI didn't approve of amps... until they did.

just like DCI didn't approve of mics for brass instruments... until they did.

There is actually just as much talent if not more talent that co-ed corps, not all talented males want to go march an all male corps, plus all the great female talent out there. If anything, being all male inhibits their talent pool.

You'd be wrong about that. But let's look at those numbers. 270 spots in the Cavaliers and Scouts vs. 1,350 spots in the other 10 finalist corps alone. That's not counting all the semifinalist, quarterfinalist and open class corps additionally. Look at my sig. I've marched both coed and all-male, so I can speak with some experience on the topic.

You are preaching to the Blue Stars choir about making leaps and bounds in positioning. Not to mention the Troopers 09 reserection.

Those are not comparable examples. Look at 02-03, 09-10, potentially this year as well. They have made big moves in bunches. I'm not going to dismiss your point of view out of hand, but let's be sincere. The 2 aren't comparable just looking at the numbers. This isn't a "my corps is better than your corps" discussion, it's an examination of known variables.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Those are not comparable examples. Look at 02-03, 09-10, potentially this year as well. They have made big moves in bunches. I'm not going to dismiss your point of view out of hand, but let's be sincere. The 2 aren't comparable just looking at the numbers. This isn't a "my corps is better than your corps" discussion, it's an examination of known variables.

Trust me im not arguing just for the sake of arguing. and i dont want to open up a can of worms, but then why do they only have 11 rings between the two of them (i say that like 1 isnt a big deal :rolleyes: ) But it seems to me co-ed corps are overwhelmingly claming top prize. Whats the reason for the other 33 titles not belonging to them, is it the talent, or are all of them because of design issues? Im not trying to kick dirt in your face, but im just trying to figure out your logic here.

• Like 1

Trust me im not arguing just for the sake of arguing. and i dont want to open up a can of worms, but then why do they only have 11 rings between the two of them (i say that like 1 isnt a big deal :rolleyes: ) But it seems to me co-ed corps are overwhelmingly claming top prize. Whats the reason for the other 33 titles not belonging to them, is it the talent, or are all of them because of design issues? Im not trying to kick dirt in your face, but im just trying to figure out your logic here.

Interesting, considering 2 all-male corps account for roughly 25% of ALL championships since the formation of DCI. A different way of looking at your stats, but that's pretty remarkable being that (for the majority of that time) they were just 2 of hundreds of corps. So less than 1% of the corps (historically speaking) hold 25% of the hardware. I think that is supportive of my argument.