I beleive Blue Stars have a very difficult guard book. The hand work is difficult. They have sone very talented individuals. If they can clean what they have it could get very intersting late season where they shake out with guard scoring. Michael Shapiro has always written challenging guard work which sometimes keeps the guard scores down for them early season. Will have to wait and see.

• Like 3

No one watches the guard :rolleyes:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The guard is what makes this activity so beautiful and amazing!worthy.gifGUARD

Cadets & SCV look really good this year & Phantom.

Blue Devils are slow to jell this year. I think their show is still developing and has so many difficult elements.

Cavies on stilts? Don't think so

• Like 2

However - although they look beautiful, Phantom's guard easily has one of the easiest books I have seen in a top 12 drum corps in an extremely long time - possibly ever. I am also bothered that they don't use any rifles in their show - it seems to add to the reduced complexity, in my opinion.

Or it could be because Rifles would make no sense in a Shakespearean context.

This show isn't "easy" it just has difficulty in other areas than we are used to seeing from PR.

AKA, the dance book is easily the hardest in the last 10+ years. The last guard book with dance this difficult AND good was 2001 Blue Devils.

• Like 4

^ good point. They could also toss swords (not sabres), maybe some garlands of hemlock, etc.

Still have not seen all of the guards, so I will wait until I do before commenting...

However - although they look beautiful, Phantom's guard easily has one of the easiest books I have seen in a top 12 drum corps in an extremely long time - possibly ever. I am also bothered that they don't use any rifles in their show - it seems to add to the reduced complexity, in my opinion.

How they are scoring close to other guards is a mystery. I think this will hurt them in the long term.

Ya it bothers me too, just like when hornlines dont use euphs and only march baris. it seems to add to the reduced whatever, cuz euphs are defintily heavier, baris are for pansies....

<sarcasm off>

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 1

Personally, I love Phantom's Guard. It may not be as demanding as others but it is very effective. It is also definitely the cleanest. I kind of wish they would have rifles. I love that they are all female. It was a big deal when a color guard used to go "coed" now it is a big deal if they are the same sex. Interesting.

Weakest guard I have seen has to be Academy. The book is not too good in my view.

Best I would say is Cadets, Cavies, Crown and SCV.

I'll have to agree with you on Academy. They really need to do some serious cleaning and some of the work is not as effective as it could be. The overall show has potential though!

Later,

Mike

Or it could be because Rifles would make no sense in a Shakespearean context.

This show isn't "easy" it just has difficulty in other areas than we are used to seeing from PR.

AKA, the dance book is easily the hardest in the last 10+ years. The last guard book with dance this difficult AND good was 2001 Blue Devils.

They had rifles in Faust, didn't they have rifles in Spartacus? Weren't there guns in the Baz Luhrmann version of "Romeo and Juliet"? Including rifle in a show never has to be literal, and sometimes it can be awesome.

Also, the dance book is not at all the hardest in the last 10 years. It is effective! There is a difference. They are doing chasses and soutes with body shaping... it's not that hard at all.

• Like 3

It's July 5th. No guard is clean. You might see some clean guards this time in August. But even the ones at the top still have some serious dirt.

• Like 1

Back on topic:

Most difficult books: Cavies, Crown, Vanguard and Blue Stars

Cleanest as of today: Cavies, Phantom

Who could win: Cavies - I think their book is ridiculously difficult & so musical and they are already controlling it really well

Most surprised by: Phantom - the all female approach works extremely well. It might not be the most difficult book - but they are graceful, clean and really help to sell the show (and I love the whole dance intro!!!!) Madison's rifle line is also quite a surprise - very strong line this year!!!

Needs alot of work: Troopers will really need to get the color guard alot cleaner if they want to make a run at top 12 again.

Later,

Mike

Wow....Cadets not even mentioned?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2