Bristol show thread

The thing I find most hard to understand is the 3 point spread between Crown and Scouts. Madison is once again marching a junior high school level of demand barely worthy of top 12. I suppose a name is more important than achievement. Scatter drills as an excuse for visual not very demanding.

uh oh, Look out. The storm is on it's way!!!!!

...and may God have mercy on your soul.

No need for God. I have been involved in this activity for over 25 years and I know what I am talking about. Madison is getting some points for reputation just like Blue Devils. Wondering around the field until you find a place to park and blow is just not that demanding. If you have further insight about strolling to position please feel free to enlighten me.

• Like 6

...and may God have mercy on your soul.

Oh no... did I just open up a sore spot. Maybe they should just do a standstill and play Malaguena. Surely that would be worthy of a Championship to some of the people who post on this site?

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 2

It's won two championships in as many years...

Unfortunately you are so right. Why do the other corps even bother challenging their members. Last year another spectator remarked after the Blue Devils, "That's 12 minutes of my life I will never get back". I asked him why he said something some outrageous and he told me he had marched 2 years with them in the '80's.

• Like 2

Oh no... did I just open up a sore spot. Maybe they should just do a standstill and play Malaguena. Surely that would be worthy of a Championship to some of the people who post on this site?

I'm not a Madison fan, not even a little bit. I have been a Crown fan for a long time. After watching them on Friday I had the opposite reaction as you. I wondered how they weren't right on Crown's heels. Difficulty and execution seemed all there. I DO think Crown has the more challenging show, but to claim Madison is performing a junior high quality show.... Really??

• Like 4

I'm not a Madison fan, not even a little bit. I have been a Crown fan for a long time. After watching them on Friday I had the opposite reaction as you. I wondered how they weren't right on Crown's heels. Difficulty and execution seemed all there. I DO think Crown has the more challenging show, but to claim Madison is performing a junior high quality show.... Really??

I wouldn't go so far as to say as a junior high show, but it is significantly less demanding than the shows around their level. Does that bother me, though? Not really, it's always been that way with them. They got their thing, which is fine.

• Like 1

Just got back from the show. Plus/minus a few tenths the judges got it right. I was in the cheap seats, but I enjoyed taking some newbies to their first show. I can't post a reveiw because I'm not that familiar with the shows but I'll leave a few impressions for those that care.

7th Regiment is a great little corps. Playing some Radiohead and Brubeck, it's cool. I love to see the Open Class corps making it happen. Stands were full when the show started so these guys got to enjoy full bleachers. Drizzled on them but the show must go on.

Surf, first World Class of the night. Still drizzling. Drumline has some tasty parts. Playing a few pop songs that the crowd liked. Being mostly weekends Surf usually needs the summer to build the stamina and get the muscle memory happening. They will do it I'm sure, looking forward to another great season. Surf is traveling back to their home turf for some local parades. Goes to show the class of this organization that they are driving all night for the Philly/Jersey parades when they could just stay local and do 4 parades with the other corps at the show.

Crossmen are solid. I need to see this show head on for the full effect. Jazz is back! Still drizzling. Lights were on, but the sun peaked out of the clouds minutes before sunset just in time for the last chords of Hallelujah....one of those cool drumcorps moments. Kids are first class, I got to talk to a few at the souvie booth. Oh yea....LOVED seeing and hearing some ride cymbal from the field. No one is doing that anymore. I almost forgot what an 8 man snare line riding sounds like. That is one thing you can not duplicate in the pit. Plenty of women in the battery, that is awsome. Keep up the good work and breat back into finals!

Spirit is good. On after intermission, rain stopped. This is definately a show that remimds me of the old Spirit. I'm only familiar with Harlem Noctune, hopefully be they next time I see Spirit I'll be more familiar with what they are doing, but they earned the point spread they have over Bones, I might have put them farther ahead of Crossmen than the judges did.

Madison is great! Crowd favorite. First time ever in Bristol according to Pail Cain (Announcer). Paul is awesome by the way. I loved the power of that horn line. Guard wears suits, I get it. I wonder what it is like to wear a suit as your uniform all summer? There was a lot of locals around me, and they loved it when Empire State of Mind was played. The Scouts were great in encore. I love it when you can tell the spectators don't follow the activity as closely as we do on DCP and are stunned when corps scores high or low. This crowd seemed stunned that Madison didn't win. I love that stuff. Madsion is playing for the corps nuts AND the guy on the street.

Crown has the well put together package. A little cheezy for me, but the Crowd loves them. It is fun when corps plays music you know and can relate to. These guys are clean, perform well and have a great package. I don't think its a DCI championship vehicle, but who knows, it's only July 3.

The highlight of this show was that the crowd respected the performers by showing up for the first corps and staying till the scores. Time for bed, Bristol parade in the am.

• Like 5

The thing I find most hard to understand is the 3 point spread between Crown and Scouts. Madison is once again marching a junior high school level of demand barely worthy of top 12. I suppose a name is more important than achievement. Scatter drills as an excuse for visual not very demanding.

Apparently you haven't seen BD....like, ever.

• Like 4

wow not only clueless but a jerk.

check corpsreps my friend and youll see the top 5 is just as likely to repeat classic selections. Rocky Point, Appalachian Spring West Side Story, Conquest, anyone? Last time Malaguena was done was 1996 genius. More likely from your tone that you are the one with something up his butt about Madison.

• Like 2

And I would wager your favorite movie is "Clueless"? Wow!!!!!!!

• Like 2