Motivation, I Need Some

Point is, start today. For you, today is the first day of the 2012 season. If you start now, your have more time to make the transition. If you wait until 2 weeks from auditions to get it in gear, you'll likely become depressed at the overwhelming hill you have to climb and will be much more likely to not follow through.

Just for some background...the first weekend in October in 1993 (my senior year), and the day before our first high school marching contest, me and 2 friends were in a head-on car crash with a tree. I spent 6 hours of the next day in emergency surgery to repair a crushed vertebrae in my neck and remove bone fragments from my spinal cord. I suffered a large head laceration, a crushed vertebrae, 3 fractured vertebrae and a snapped left femur. I spent a week in the hospital and the next 3 months with a halo brace screwed into my head. I had a rod and 3 pins in my leg and was walking (gingerly) with the assistance of crutches.

3 months later (and 2 weeks after the halo came off), I was in Dubuque for Colts auditions. Most looked at me funny when I told them what I had just been through, but I wasn't going to even let a broken leg and NECK keep me from realizing my dream. 3 months after sustaining life-threatening injuries in a car accident, I left Colts audition camp with a contract, lead sop spot and a solo.

If I can do that, what's your excuse going to be?? :cool:

• Like 1

Point is, start today. For you, today is the first day of the 2012 season. If you start now, your have more time to make the transition. If you wait until 2 weeks from auditions to get it in gear, you'll likely become depressed at the overwhelming hill you have to climb and will be much more likely to not follow through.

Just for some background...the first weekend in October in 1993 (my senior year), and the day before our first high school marching contest, me and 2 friends were in a head-on car crash with a tree. I spent 6 hours of the next day in emergency surgery to repair a crushed vertebrae in my neck and remove bone fragments from my spinal cord. I suffered a large head laceration, a crushed vertebrae, 3 fractured vertebrae and a snapped left femur. I spent a week in the hospital and the next 3 months with a halo brace screwed into my head. I had a rod and 3 pins in my leg and was walking (gingerly) with the assistance of crutches.

3 months later (and 2 weeks after the halo came off), I was in Dubuque for Colts auditions. Most looked at me funny when I told them what I had just been through, but I wasn't going to even let a broken leg and NECK keep me from realizing my dream. 3 months after sustaining life-threatening injuries in a car accident, I left Colts audition camp with a contract, lead sop spot and a solo.

If I can do that, what's your excuse going to be?? :cool:

:blink: ####. Staring now. And thanks everyone, I just want this like nothing else, and I'm letting stupid things get in the way. Not anymore, no not from me, and if not with BK, I'm marching 2012, no doubt about that. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The one and only regret that I have in my life is that I never marched drum corps. I was good enough to do it, but finances, lack of communication (ie no Internet), and being focused on going to college were all contributing factors. I started watching finals on tv in 1991. My age-out year would have been 1999. In time I have been able to experience a few different aspects of DCI tour but it isn't the same as actually being a marching member.

Don't live with the regret like I do! Go march somewhere anywhere!

:blink: ####. Staring now. And thanks everyone, I just want this like nothing else, and I'm letting stupid things get in the way. Not anymore, no not from me, and if not with BK, I'm marching 2012, no doubt about that. :thumbup:

If you get a contract at BK, great. If you don't, immediately pursue ANY other corps. It doesn't matter where you march so much as that DO march.

Well, here are some things to think about regarding your body and fitness, and I base this all on direct personal experience of having lost 80 lbs and getting much more fit recently:

NOTHING THAT IS REALLY WORTH DOING IS EASY. Remember that.

You might realize now that the way America feeds itself is just nasty. High fat, high carb foods with little or no nutritional value are the order of the day, every day. Those things are fine in moderation, but you need some serious protein, good carbs (whole grain), and the nutrients in fresh fruits and vegetables to feed the body for the kind of activity you want to participate in. Those foods taste GOOD. The reason most people think they don't like them is because we've been trained by the food industry to want that other stuff, constantly. Go cold turkey for a while if you think you can handle it. Your taste buds (and brain) will adjust much more quickly if you do. But it's not easy.

2. Exercise is a matter of mental toughness. So is drum corps. It's not easy. You have to be strong enough to put aside things that take up a lot of your time, and you may have to tell people who give you grief to lay off. People may not understand why you're suddenly wanting this change. You don't have to justify anything to those people. They are saboteurs. Do NOT let them win, because....

3. People don't like others to change. They don't like it at all. It challenges their own beliefs about themselves. It forces them into a different relationship with you, and that's tough for people. But the upshot is that there some of those people will eventually step up and support you. Foster those relationships in particular. And, in the mean time, find new people who can help you make the choices and plans that you need to make to achieve your dream.

NOTHING THAT IS REALLY WORTH DOING IS EASY.

GO DRUMMANTX!

This is a great response to your post, but I'd like to add: What you are going to gain from participating with a drum corps is discipline. Every person needs discipline, not everyone knows it. At first, we typically respond negatively to discipline, but later we come to love it and really appreciate the people who gave it to us.

So, yes its going to be hard. You should do what you can to toughen up your feet, or else the blisters will be severe. But more than the physical aspect, there is the musical aspect of discipline. Probably the most important thing you can do to prepare for your camp, and the best thing you can do to make your corps better is to become a better horn player. The world really needs good horn players. If you dedicate yourself to being a fine musician, your body will get used to the physical challenge very quickly.

This is a great response to your post, but I'd like to add: What you are going to gain from participating with a drum corps is discipline. Every person needs discipline, not everyone knows it. At first, we typically respond negatively to discipline, but later we come to love it and really appreciate the people who gave it to us.

So, yes its going to be hard. You should do what you can to toughen up your feet, or else the blisters will be severe. But more than the physical aspect, there is the musical aspect of discipline. Probably the most important thing you can do to prepare for your camp, and the best thing you can do to make your corps better is to become a better horn player. The world really needs good horn players. If you dedicate yourself to being a fine musician, your body will get used to the physical challenge very quickly.

Agreed, except I play the boom booms. ;) (Hence my username. :tongue:) But I totally get what you're saying. Started today.

I've been following DCI since about Winter 09, and have absolutely fallen in love with it, it's all I want to be involved in. But I'm really having a lack of motivation in getting myself prepared for the physical part of it as far as eating better and getting in shape goes, as well as preparing myself that I'm definitely not going to be the best of the best like I am in the region I'm located and being the rookie "new guy". I watch videos, I've read two VERY influential books, and what not, but I just can't seem to change to prepare myself for what is sure to be a very rough first audition.

So why do I need to dedicate a whole summer, a few thousand dollars, and relentless rehearsals to be a part of a corps?

What do I need to do to prepare myself for auditions and the summer physically and mentally?

What will I get out of it?

I kinda know the answers to these questions, but not really I guess since I've not marched. I know veterans of this site and such probably see these kinda threads all the time and get annoyed and such, but I REALLY want to be apart of something special. Bring out the niceness in this site and help me out. I guess I am part of the future of the activity. Please! :smile:

(corps probably going to is BK on Bass 4-5 to audition for)

You may not know it, but you've already taken the first productive step to motivation needed. You WANT to succeed, and are seeking advice and are willing to learn what it will take. The best thing to prepare yourself probably won't be a surprise to you, but needs to be said : eat healthy foods, get proper rest, and exercise regularly. Do some endurance training that'll build up your stamina. If you couple this with music practice, go with a positive attitude then you'll find you'll be more than ready....... Also, don't be afraid to try. Take it from an old dog like me : its a lot harder to live with yourself by not trying than to live with yourself where you tried but failed. Life's best lessons can be found in the tried and failed, than in the never did a thing mode. You will NEVER know your full potential until you test your limits. And if you are young, there are no limits to what you can accomplish with your full effort, as your limits have not been tested yet.The sky's the limit. So just go and find out how high your sky is and challenge yourself. You'll be amazed what you can accomplish when you give it your all to something you love... one final thought, if you make a Corps, you will become motivated in a team environment. You will find that your self concerns will wash away, as you will want to help make your Corps better... and in return, YOU will be made better in the process. So just say to yourself over and over again, every day if needed : " I CAN and I WILL, do this ". Good luck to you.

Edited by BRASSO

That's my attitude too. Have faith in yourself bro. It's not about being the best talent-wise, it's about being the best worker and contributor to the corps. I've seen kids who were immensely more talented than others that didn't do squat and ended up getting beat. It's all about pushing yourself, doing all you can do, and letting the cards fall as they may. Just keep preparing yourself physically, musically, and mentally, and you'll be just fine. Hopefully we'll be able to catch each other on tour next year. :thumbup:

And on a side note, at least you know where you wanna go. Some of us are still on the fence. :tongue:

You may not know it, but you've already taken the first productive step to motivation needed. You WANT to succeed, and are seeking advice and are willing to learn what it will take. The best thing to prepare yourself probably won't be a surprise to you, but needs to be said : eat healthy foods, get proper rest, and exercise regularly. Do some endurance training that'll build up your stamina. If you couple this with music practice, go with a positive attitude then you'll find you'll be more than ready. Good luck. You'll love doing Drum Corps, imo.... ps... don't be afraid to try. Take it from an old dog like me : its a lot harder to live with yourself by not trying than to live with yourself where you tried but failed. Life's best lessons can be found in the tried and failed, than in the never did a thing mode. You will NEVER know your full potential until you test your limits. And if you are young, there are no limits to what you can accomplish with your full effort, as your limits have not been tested yet.The sky's the limit. So just go and find out how high your sky is and challenge yourself. You'll be amazed what you can accomplish when you give it your all to something you love.

I'm 17, I've got some time left. :smile: