Motivation, I Need Some

I've been following DCI since about Winter 09, and have absolutely fallen in love with it, it's all I want to be involved in. But I'm really having a lack of motivation in getting myself prepared for the physical part of it as far as eating better and getting in shape goes, as well as preparing myself that I'm definitely not going to be the best of the best like I am in the region I'm located and being the rookie "new guy". I watch videos, I've read two VERY influential books, and what not, but I just can't seem to change to prepare myself for what is sure to be a very rough first audition.

So why do I need to dedicate a whole summer, a few thousand dollars, and relentless rehearsals to be a part of a corps?

What do I need to do to prepare myself for auditions and the summer physically and mentally?

What will I get out of it?

I kinda know the answers to these questions, but not really I guess since I've not marched. I know veterans of this site and such probably see these kinda threads all the time and get annoyed and such, but I REALLY want to be apart of something special. Bring out the niceness in this site and help me out. I guess I am part of the future of the activity. Please! :smile:

(corps probably going to is BK on Bass 4-5 to audition for)

Edited by DrumManTx

I have never had the chance to audition and thankfully i'm 20 and there is still time for me... but I have weak knees (but working on building my thighs so it takes pressure off) DCI in many ways has changed the lives of many. Its something AMAZING! Trust me I understand the "getting in shape part" because i'm a lazy person and like to just chill but for DCI to be honest I would just drop everything and do what I can for the program! I am an extreme fan for The Cavaliers no doubt, but in general I love DCI no matter what the politics are like, DCI will always be a major part of my music life.

Also I came from a high school that didn't exactly have the cleanest drill, but our music was stunning! If I didn't rediscover DCI at the end of my 10th grade year I wouldn't have become the marcher I am today! To be very honest I had no idea how to do basic things... More or less I had no idea what an 8 to 5 step was. When I rediscovered DCI, by watching it so much I have learned how to guide and I learned step sizes better. Hopefully this summer I will become a visual tech. for my high school, because I want to show the kids there how to do these things that I wasn't taught till really the summer of 08.

If anything even if your not marching this summer, use these amazing drum corps to motivate you! Trust me... I would do anything to be apart of these programs... I hope this "little" story has helped you. :thumbup:

I've been following DCI since about Winter 09, and have absolutely fallen in love with it, it's all I want to be involved in. But I'm really having a lack of motivation in getting myself prepared for the physical part of it as far as eating better and getting in shape goes, as well as preparing myself that I'm definitely not going to be the best of the best like I am in the region I'm located and being the rookie "new guy". I watch videos, I've read two VERY influential books, and what not, but I just can't seem to change to prepare myself for what is sure to be a very rough first audition.

So why do I need to dedicate a whole summer, a few thousand dollars, and relentless rehearsals to be a part of a corps?

What do I need to do to prepare myself for auditions and the summer physically and mentally?

What will I get out of it?

I kinda know the answers to these questions, but not really I guess since I've not marched. I know veterans of this site and such probably see these kinda threads all the time and get annoyed and such, but I REALLY want to be apart of something special. Bring out the niceness in this site and help me out. I guess I am part of the future of the activity. Please! :smile:

(corps probably going to is BK on Bass 4-5 to audition for)

I don't know what motivates you in general, but if the overwhelming desire to be a part of the activity isn't enough motivation then I'm not sure what motivation we can provide. That's the reason I did it. It wasn't easy and tour life got hard, but I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. PLUS, you only have so long to be able to march junior corps and the threat of living with "what if" for the rest of my life was absolutely unacceptable. I could accept trying and failing, but I couldn't accept never trying.

• Like 1

Well, here are some things to think about regarding your body and fitness, and I base this all on direct personal experience of having lost 80 lbs and getting much more fit recently:

NOTHING THAT IS REALLY WORTH DOING IS EASY. Remember that.

You might realize now that the way America feeds itself is just nasty. High fat, high carb foods with little or no nutritional value are the order of the day, every day. Those things are fine in moderation, but you need some serious protein, good carbs (whole grain), and the nutrients in fresh fruits and vegetables to feed the body for the kind of activity you want to participate in. Those foods taste GOOD. The reason most people think they don't like them is because we've been trained by the food industry to want that other stuff, constantly. Go cold turkey for a while if you think you can handle it. Your taste buds (and brain) will adjust much more quickly if you do. But it's not easy.

2. Exercise is a matter of mental toughness. So is drum corps. It's not easy. You have to be strong enough to put aside things that take up a lot of your time, and you may have to tell people who give you grief to lay off. People may not understand why you're suddenly wanting this change. You don't have to justify anything to those people. They are saboteurs. Do NOT let them win, because....

3. People don't like others to change. They don't like it at all. It challenges their own beliefs about themselves. It forces them into a different relationship with you, and that's tough for people. But the upshot is that there some of those people will eventually step up and support you. Foster those relationships in particular. And, in the mean time, find new people who can help you make the choices and plans that you need to make to achieve your dream.

NOTHING THAT IS REALLY WORTH DOING IS EASY.

GO DRUMMANTX!

• Like 2

I think about doing things, but they never get done. I guess that's my problem. I dunno, lately I've gotten sick of just watching, I had the opportunity to go audition this last summer, but didn't. I just want to make sure the 4th of the last 4 I have a chance to be a part of don't turn out the same way.

I think about doing things, but they never get done. I guess that's my problem. I dunno, lately I've gotten sick of just watching, I had the opportunity to go audition this last summer, but didn't. I just want to make sure the 4th of the last 4 I have a chance to be a part of don't turn out the same way.

ah I get ya that means you need to DO IT instead of watching. I think your at that point! Just tell yourself... no i'm gonna audition! or make one of your friends push you to doing it. lol my friend is going to make my audition at least once.

It sounds like you're afraid of failing. A lot of people will pass up the opportunity to audition not because they don't care to do it, but because they don't want to risk rejection. Can't let that become a defeatist attitude. Living with the regret is way worse than failing. And if you aren't being pushed, you aren't getting better. Some of that is external, but the majority of it is internal. YOU have to want it. YOU have to work for it. And YOU have to put it on the line and take that risk. Somebody is going to fill that spot. There's no reason it can't be you, unless YOU take yourself out of consideration.

My mother-in-law had a homily on her kitchen wall that read "The best way to finish a job is to start it." I've always found that to be good advice and I quote it to myself a lot.

Somebody is going to fill that spot. There's no reason it can't be you, unless YOU take yourself out of consideration.

More good advice. Force the staff make the decision. Don't do it for them by not trying.

Edited by sdstar