Would you consider Drum Corps to be a sport?

And if steroids are what it takes to be a sport, may we never make it there.

Absolutely agreed!

Nope. Not a sport.

What we have is better than a sport.

Exactly. Sports are played by (mostly) overpaid idiots. Drum corps is done by kids who want to work their butts off for fun.

Athletic- yes, Sport- no

Drum corps combines physical strength and breathing elements with running and other athletic traits. Yet, drum corps also uses ballet, music, interpretive design, theatre and other artistic elements that make it different than sports! You get the best if both worlds- Athletisicm and Grace/Beauty! Plus would you really want to call your Corps Directo- COACH?? haha

Wes P

Just to clairify then....so based off of the criteria you listed above, in gymnastics the floor exercise is not a sport and neither is figure skating.....just checking

Athletic, musical, visual, entertainment, recreational, educational....there's many ways to describe it. I guess that's why it's just generally referred to as an "activity".

This is a great question and should be discussed in accordance with rules and the basic motivations for the activity. From the scoring and placement of corps, Drum Corps competition will always be flawed and unfair due to the very nature of SUBJECTIVE scoring from human beings with biases and life experiences. Just look at the Olympics and sports that require judging. Those should be dropped from the whole concept of SPORT. 2 opponents facing one another in a ring, court or field, with minimal refereeing, now that's SPORT! I love sports, and DCI in NO WAY is a sport. I wish it was because most sports in my opinion are fair and based upon pure competition. The activity needs to get away from judging so biased that the winners of any DCI competition are complained about in every way and every time. A radical overhaul of the DCI and other organizations, including high school band competitions, need to take place. This is the real discussion. The activity is now based on bizarre ballet type marching, and in no way resembles the raw masculine military precision moves and historical honor that once was. Most corps I see these days resemble a ballet or dance troupe with ode-like-shows-to-Aphrodite on the field. Many of you will no doubt argue with this assessment, but the activity is definitely not a sport and not on the right road to fairness and true competition like the Greek Olympians born in the hills of Olympia. Let's call it what is really is.... a ballet of musicians without "tutus".

a lot of people marching in dci are in better shape than a lot of "athletes." i'm thinking about the defensive bulldozers/man hybrids in the nfl who run 10 feet, and then have to go to the oxygen mask. or some golfers. or some baseball players.

but no, i don't consider dci a sport.