The Top 12 Battle

Who Makes Finals?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which Corps Do You Think Is In At This Point?

• The Academy
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Colts
    • Troopers
    • Crossmen
    • Glassmen
    • Other World Class Corps
    • An Open Class Corps

I've seen Boston and Spirit 3 times this year live. Spirit has a good chance to make Finals, but Boston is a step up in performance talent in percussion, guard, and brass than Spirit is, imo. The current score spreads reflect this too.

I wouldn't state that a Corps " will easily make Finals" unless I've seen not only that Corps, but its competitor's Corps from across the Country, both midwest, and west coast and live in head to head matchups. Nothings " easy " when we are in early July as to who will or will not make Finals, imo.

Boston is building there show in phase IMO. Boston has as good of a shown as the rest. There show is different with so many different this going on IMO. I guess the way I look at it is the history of revolution which started before 1812 and continues today ( Peace, death, war etc), and the trials, tribulation that a composer writing this score in the 1800's went threw. Have a great day. join the Crusade.

Just watched Spirit of Atlanta on the not-to-be-referenced site....oh my!! They sound and look great! Huge change from last year IMO. The music, sound and volume are great and I love the fast paced drill. I could do without some of the sound effects but I think they are done fairly well and don't cover up what is coming from the corps proper as is the case with some other corps.

A biased opinion yes, but I truly think they could be scoring a tad bit higher than they currently are and nipping closer to a couple corps (BAC, BK :ph34r:) ahead of them. I will be curious to check out some of the changes they are reporting having made the past couple days.

A good discussion here with regard to Boston. If someone could find a video of BAC during the first week of July in 2009, they would be amazed to find how little it bore resemblence to the final product that year. Brian Murphy and Jay Kennedy were the designers back then, just as they are now. In addition, the other caption heads at BAC are quite determined, as are the kids.

Speaking of 2009, Boston lost to Phantom Regiment by over 6 points on June 26th.

By August Finals however, Boston had turned it around and convincingly beat Phantom Regiment in both the Semi's and Finals.

By contrast, Boston beat the Blue Stars 3 in a row in mid July last year, only to be topped by Blue Stars at Finals.

Like was said, every year is different... its a marathon, not a sprint. For ALL Corps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Thankyou for clearing that up for me. Pioneer might be better off competing Open Class anyway...

I don't see how you can put Crossmen as a solid 17th. Of the 5 corps 13-17, Crossmen look to have a very good chance of being the best of the lot (13th at semis) and almost no chance of being the worst. If any of them have a lock on 17th this year its the Colts. I'll be absolutely shocked if Crossmmen don't finish ahead of the Colts, and surprised if they don't finish above the Glassmen as well. I haven't seen Academy or the Troopers yet, but judging by the scores I'd say its likely to be a toss-up on the final placement between Crossmen/Academy/Troopers with bones probably on top or in the middle of this group.

Their drum line is hugely improved since last year, hornline much improved as well and the show design is much better. Also, the problem they had last year of not improving at the same rate as their close competitors is likely not to be repeated - they cleaned house on staff, the new crew is much more experienced and capable.

to each his own............I saw the Bones last night, and at this point, the brass issues they have are significant compared to all others in the grouping, and I don't see any significant edge in another caption to counterbalance that. I agree the drumline has improved. But I also didn't get much visual impact in the show. I don't believe they will be far behind the 4 in front of them. However, they have yet to beat anyone in that 13-16 group this season, so I think it is a stretch to say that there is no chance of 17th. Yes, they could finish higher, but I think 17th is far more likely than 13th. Time will tell.

GB

I thought I would bump this poll back up to see if any opinions have changed after last nights match up between Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen. Tonights match up with Colts, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta and Glassmen ought to be quite interesting!

I thought I would bump this poll back up to see if any opinions have changed after last nights match up between Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen. Tonights match up with Colts, Crossmen, Spirit of Atlanta and Glassmen ought to be quite interesting!

I had thought Spirit was more around the high 73-74 range instead of 75. That said I still think that in the head to head with them colts and Gmen Spirit will be about 1-1.5 ahead of the pack!! Fun night, I'll be anxious to see how it goes!

Wes P

Good reminder.. this will be a good head to head matchup test among these Corps tonite. Some of them for the first time this season too.

Edited by BRASSO

Colts are my corps but from what I've seen, Spirit of Atlanta has the best chance of finals right now..with Gmen very close in 13th. BUT scores are all over the place right now. I can't wait to see them match up tonight, then we'll know where they stand!

Regarding Boston... Their show is "fine", but it doesn't compare to Cadets '89 Les Mis, nor the multiple times Phantom has played 1812.

It's not the performance, it's the design for me. I'm not sure how to explain it, it's not boring, it doesn't suck, but something is missing...

ANWAY.... Glassmen have a better sounding hornline this year.

This. Exactly my feelings right now. I hope their design staff is changing something big before August, but I do like the show, it just seems to be missing that "something"