What happened to pleasing the crowd?

Well, you could argue, that it used to be about 'the community'. Corps were vigorously loyal to the communities that supported them.

Now we have corps listed as being from Madison, but technically are from Indiana. Or a corps from Rockford, Illinois---that one year had NO ONE from Illinois in it.

When the loyalty switched from the community to the arts, the programming changed drastically. Your support (monetarily) is coming from a completely different group of people.

Going back to strictly community-based would be a major set back in terms of quality. No thanks.

• Like 2

yawwwwwwwwwwwwn. same old rant post. lol. "i know more, i did it better, the poor kids, its not good unless i like it.. " Blah blah blah. Thanks for the refreshing post.

Completely agree...and to think, I was actually expecting something original when I clicked on the topic link...

• Like 1

Well, you could argue, that it used to be about 'the community'. Corps were vigorously loyal to the communities that supported them.

Now we have corps listed as being from Madison, but technically are from Indiana. Or a corps from Rockford, Illinois---that one year had NO ONE from Illinois in it.

When the loyalty switched from the community to the arts, the programming changed drastically. Your support (monetarily) is coming from a completely different group of people.

Well said.

• Like 1

Hello to all!

Whatever happened to pleasing the crowd?

Sounds to me like your trying to just relive your past. I've also been to shows in the early 80's, but I have not marched since 91. The crowd now is much more sophisticated IMO and probably also a different demographic altogether.

• Like 2

Completely agree...and to think, I was actually expecting something original when I clicked on the topic link...

Obviously you and the other person didn't read it. Or see that this is like my 10th post or less. (not my first internet forum's) If this post truly is "the same old thing" then, versus saying "it's the same old blah blah blah thing" why don't you add something to it. I see lots of people complaining about the thing we all love and what's wrong with it. DCI does too. You don't think this isn't read by them or other important people, it is. I'm sure this type of post is common on these forums and people get sick of reading them, but complaining about what was written isn't going to fix anything.

So instead of mini flaming, try to add to an important subject that everyone will agree needs to be fixed somehow. Maybe you will have just the idea they are looking for, maybe you'll say something they didn't think of, you never know.

• Like 3

Keep the faith. Change is in the air. Its economically driven too. DCI can not afford to lose fans and not replace them with new fans. Thats a blueprint for insolvency. DCI is committed to making the shows more fan friendly and growing the activity and making it strong and vibrant.

You want "Change" ? Its coming. At least thats what we're being told.

And yes, we are seeing some small glimpes of show designers beginning to get the new message.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like your trying to just relive your past. I've also been to shows in the early 80's, but I have not marched since 91. The crowd now is much more sophisticated IMO and probably also a different demographic altogether.

Sigh...I'm totally not. At all.

• Like 1

Keep the faith. Change is in the air. Its economically driven too. DCI can not afford to lose fans and not replace them with new fans. Thats a blueprint for insolvency. DCI is committed to making the shows more fan friendly and growing the activity and making it strong and vibrant.

You want "Change" ? Its coming. At least thats what we're being told.

And yes, we are seeing some small glimpes of show designers beginning to get the new message.

dont believe everything youre told.....lol