Best Closer Ever?

88 Madison still gives me goosebumps.

89 SCV closer has so much passionate that I still get a moved to this day when I hear it (and I've listened to it over 100 times).

89 SCV Closer still waters up my eyes!

• Like 1

Not for nothing, but if you are truly offended that one person's OPINION that a genre of music is not art, then you must be pretty easily offended. Thicken up that skin! :) Seriously, and I know that I am pissing into the wind on this, but we (the collective we that is DCP) seem all too eager to let other's opinions rent space in our minds, for free! Disagree all you want, try to explain your reasoning, sure. But to call this "incredibly offensive" is a bit of hyperbole.

It didn't hurt my feelings or anything. But I think it is surprising that musicians and music fans would dismiss a particular genre they dislike and are apparently unfamiliar with as incapable of producing art.

Is it "incredible" to me that some hardcore drum corps fans might feel this way about hip-hop? I suppose not really. So if it was just the rhetorical hyperbole of "incredibly" that really set you off, then I apologize for my stylistic choices.

If one wants to argue that no popular music can be "art", well, then including hip-hop in that category is no longer offensive, but I'm assuming that's not what was meant. Regardless, to single out hip-hop as non-artistic is offensive. I stand by that.

A lot of folks here claim that drum corps is a sport. I would agree, especially in today's DCI corps. However, MOST of the outside world would disagree, and many would say flat out that drum corps is not a sport. Is that statement also incredibly offensive?

I don't think so. The answer to whether drum corps is a sport or not does not carry with it a judgment on the worth of the culture it represents. "Sport" does not carry the implications of cultural value, beauty, and importance that "art" does.

Edited by skywhopper

Mariano Rivera

• Like 4

89 SCV Closer still waters up my eyes!

I'm glad I'm not the only one still moved by 20 years later by 89 SCV. Steve Rondinero says in the commentary of Legacy DVD that some corp members were crying on the field. Is that true?

• Like 1

I aged out in 09.

and that would make sense because i only aged out 2 years ago, eh? :music:

I thought it was pretty clear, good closers have to be heard in person to be appreciated. Because of your age you can not comment on music that was performed before your time. We are not in an age of the traditional closer, havent been there for about 15 or more years. This is why I agree with the OP that it is a throwback and very good. And you really have to see it live to appreciate it. This is like the Power Ballad closers of the 90's and before. Corps are simply not going for that kind of effect any more, where the emotion of something is the primary outcome. As good as for example Scouts 99 closer from JC Superstar was (and the insane crowd reaction for it) it is not in the same category (throwback)

Mariano Rivera

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Great Gate of Kiev? there must have been some corps that did that. I know my hometown corps did (Enfield Centurions), but a corps more well-known?

Junior Kilties 1972, though not as a closer.

Mariano Rivera

haha, yes.. excellent choice for " best closer ever " ( lol! )

Edited by BRASSO

For those of us that were actually there for the great closers, all I can say is that the Madison we are seeing today is the madison that used to exist years ago. I expect them to make a change to the closer that brings the house down. This is were old school becomes New school.

Back in the day when the gun sounded it was time to throw down! I'm hoping we get back to that and let the kids release the hounds for their last minute of the year. That goes for all the corps!

Remember when all the corps got standing O's at finals...I do.

Edited by Phantombari1