Best Closer Ever?

This is pretty silly. Keys' version is just a derivative knock-off of the original.

While I really like what the Scouts have done with it, it would have been really interesting/edgy to see where they could have taken it with JayZ's version instead. Granted that might have been *really* hard to pull off without the right vocalist. But...it could have been cool. And there's no doubt his version is more "authentic".

I'm confused. Wikipedia says that the Jay-Z version and the Alicia Keys version are one and the same -- and originally created by two other songwriters, anyway, before Jay-Z rewrote many of the lyrics.

I'm confused. Wikipedia says that the Jay-Z version and the Alicia Keys version are one and the same -- and originally created by two other songwriters, anyway, before Jay-Z rewrote many of the lyrics.

Yep. There's the original (written by someone who grew up in the same building as JayZ). Then JayZ eventually heard that-- rewrote the rapped portion *and* brought in AK to sing the chorus. Then AK released a somewhat vanilla version (and then Glee covered that version). Quite frankly AK's version is pretty sleepy. I really like the edge in the JayZ version.

1975 27 Danny Boy. Granted it was kind of dirty, but if a peice like that could be cleaned it would bring the house down.

IMO, 1971 or 72 "Danny Boy" was better, but thanks for the endorsement -

No offense, but if you aged out in 2010, MOST of the realy good closers were done before you were born.

(Yeah....that's me....dinosaur!)

Let It Be Me

Ice Castles

The Way We Were

It Was Almost Like a Song

Danny Boy

Greensleeves

Russian Christmas Music

Conquest

Appalachian Spring

Bottle Dance

Ole'

Dindi

Even Now

We Are the Reason

Come in from the Rain

Send in the Clowns

...and the list goes on

New Englanders of the 60's would include "Now & Forever" by the Majestic Knights of Charlestown - Legendary.

Yep. There's the original (written by someone who grew up in the same building as JayZ). Then JayZ eventually heard that-- rewrote the rapped portion *and* brought in AK to sing the chorus. Then AK released a somewhat vanilla version (and then Glee covered that version). Quite frankly AK's version is pretty sleepy. I really like the edge in the JayZ version.

OK, just so I'm clear: there is no record (or at least none released as a single) featuring Jay-Z without Alicia Keys, but there is a later version featuring Alicia Keys without Jay-Z, is that right?

**checks "Alicia Keys Discography" entry on Wikipedia** -- no luck.

**searches videos for "Alicia Keys", "Empire State"** -- A-ha! Well, now. Hmm.

And that's the version that Madison has adapted. OK. Now I understand. I only knew the "Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys" version, which is all I ever heard on the radio. And I don't follow Glee, so this is completely new to me. Thank you for clarifying!

But given what I've said previously in this thread, about how the Jay-Z / Alicia Keys version consists largely of his navel-gazing and preening, I can see why they chose Keys' more selfless paean to the city.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

OK, just so I'm clear: there is no record (or at least none released as a single) featuring Jay-Z without Alicia Keys, but there is a later version featuring Alicia Keys without Jay-Z, is that right?

**checks "Alicia Keys Discography" entry on Wikipedia** -- no luck.

**searches videos for "Alicia Keys", "Empire State"** -- A-ha! Well, now. Hmm.

And that's the version that Madison has adapted. OK. Now I understand. I only knew the "Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys" version, which is all I ever heard on the radio. And I don't follow Glee, so this is completely new to me. Thank you for clarifying!

But given what I've said previously in this thread, about how the Jay-Z / Alicia Keys version consists largely of his navel-gazing and preening, I can see why they chose Keys' more selfless paean to the city.

Just the feel for me -- I don't get too wrapped up in JayZ's lyrics but I love the *feel* in his vid.

If you can find the version "somewhere online" of Alicia Keys performing it, listen to the words, especially the chorus. To me, it just fills me up with hope of what is possible. "New York: concrete jungle where dreams are made, there's nothing you can't do."

... and I think THAT'S why people love this closer. (but you have to know the words)

If it's hip-hop, no thanks. I can't STAND hip-hop or rap. So I will continue in ignorance, if you want to look at it that way. :smile:

• Like 1

^ Not really sure about Star 1993. The final few sets were just curve-linear drill, moving around randomly, and then they made a giant triangle, and then morphed it into an identical triangle but pointed the opposite direction. Not bad, but nothing compared to what they did two years before that, in 1991, the Cross to Cross. Those last few sets, starting with the first cross, should be etched into Zingali's tombstone, page for page, dot for dot. Or, they can just put a tv screen with a DVD player perpetually playing those last few sets. They should also put a Z-pull onto his tombstone as well.

Cadets 2000 closer was really good also, you can start with the drum feature, or you can start with the company front. Not sure where the "closer" started, that may be a subjective observation. That closer makes me cry almost every time I watch it.

Of course, you have SCV 89, where they made the Phantom disappear...that was epic, still not sure to this day how they did that. In the videos, it doesn't really look like he was scrunching down under the chair into the box from under the fabric, but that may have well been what he did.

And I can't forget Crown's "Horsie" show. Was that 08?

I also liked the closer from Cavs 2001, 4 corners. Those last few sets fit in with the rest of the thematic material so well, it was genius.

Someone's been doing some homework! :tongue:

Care to take a stab at who the corps director was in '93?? :cool:

• Like 1