Drum Corps Fees

Also, be sure to reach out to your old & existing band instructors for sponsorship. Every one of my students who has ever asked me for a donation to their summer dues was given something to help them along their way. I'm sure they'd be glad to help if they have the means.

Also, be sure to reach out to your old & existing band instructors for sponsorship. Every one of my students who has ever asked me for a donation to their summer dues was given something to help them along their way. I'm sure they'd be glad to help if they have the means.

I never thought of going to old band directors! I did a lot of school hopping in junior high.

I want the time commitments. I want to sweat my heart out and spend countless hours living my dream.

On that statement alone I'll give you a $6,000 scolarship to my high school to be in my band.

Want to move to New Orleans ? :thumbup:

• Like 1

On that statement alone I'll give you a $6,000 scolarship to my high school to be in my band.

Want to move to New Orleans ? :thumbup:

Haha even if you were serious I would decline! I have brothers and sisters in my highschool band and have made bonds that will last for eternity!!

While there are a lot of opportunities to raise money via scholarships and sponsorship, you can't always rely on those sources coming through. I've watched one too many kids drop out at the last minute because they weren't able to meet the financial commitments necessary to march because a sponsor didn't come through. You have to develop a plan on your own to raise the money, and getting a part time job is one way to do it.

When applying for jobs, be up front about your plans to march drum corps. As an HR person myself that hires dozens of kids your age each year, I look for kids who are involved in extra-curricular activites and have some goals/drive in life. Kids who display these characteristics are generally much better employees than those who list their hobbies as "playing video games". When it comes time for an interview, be clear about your desires. A good HR person will recognize that you're a good hire and will hopefully be willing to work with you and your schedule.

Once you have a job, decide how much you you need to save from each paycheck. Assuming that you can only work 38 weeks in a year because the other 14 will be spent on tour/rehearsing, come up with a dollar amount you need to save per week to meet your goal ($50/wk = $1900). If your employer offers direct deposit, automatically have a certain amount deposted into a savings account that you won't touch until it comes time to pay your dues. You don't have to work a ton of hours to be able to reach your goal. In fact, state and federal laws will limit the number of hours that you can work during the school year quite a bit. Regardless of that, if you can work two nights during the week and a day on the weekend, you will be able to do it and reach your goal.

Also, looking past drum corps a bit, having a positive work experience as a teenager can help you in the long run. Not to say that it affects things greatly, but it doesn't hurt when it comes time to look for a job after drum corps/college.

Lastly, look at scholarships and sponsorships as a way to supplement what you're raising... but I'm reluctant to tell you to put all of your eggs into that basket. With economic times being rough, some local businesses and residents are not able to contribute what they used to. We discovered that in recent weeks trying to get items donated for Pioneer's silent auction. A lot of places said that they would love to help, but simply couldn't because of the rough going that they're having. A lot of people are hurting now days and may not be willing to spend money on what they see as a luxury activity.

Good luck! You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders and should do well in life!

I want the time commitments. I want to sweat my heart out and spend countless hours living my dream.

You will definitely have the time commitment, sweat, and hard work at Gold or any DCA, DCI World, or DCI Open corps. I applaud you for having a dream and I wish you all the best in achieving that goal, but don't pass up a golden (no pun intended) opportunity to march close to home if you are able.

When you're taking about money, don't forget travel expenses-getting to and from camps. If you want to march Madison, you'll be flying to & from Chicago upwards of 7 times. Assuming a $200 round trip (if you're lucky), that's over $1400 in addition to tour fees. So, start saving, find sponsorships, get a job, and keep working! Good luck!

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

Actually if you are making a donation to a corps then it is a tax write off, if you are donating money to pay for an individuals dues I believe that is not a tax write off.

Make the donation to the corps on a person's behalf.

(lawyer hat on)

This is absolutely UNTRUE!

When a company pays your fees, it is *not* deductible, because the funds are earmarked for a specific purpose. The only way a contribution to a 501©(3) is deductible is if the money comes with no strings attached. For example, a check to the general fund.

Please, all prospective marchers, DO NOT use this strategy with potential sponsors. The tax implications can be quite severe.

(lawyer hat off)

Oh is it illegal? Then I have never done this with any corps in any capacity. :shutup:

Edited by GlassmenBtone

Sounds like you could the master of the metronome, the keeper of Dr Beat

Usually, corps offer that gig at a reduced rate, the 2K from mom should cover it

Why ruin your youth working, take the easy way, always

(Just offering other options)

Cow:

I would offer that drum corps is not the easy way, but I know from where you're coming.

My stock line has always been this: You've got the rest of your life to work. You're only young once.