Inspirational Instructor Moments

If I ever meet you last three in person, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

Just when I start to think we have been bandoed, you guys saved some of my faith. :-)

There are still some of us around who realize that part of being a musician is having a thick skin.

• Like 3

There are still some of us around who realize that part of being a musician is having a thick skin.

Heck, being a human.

Amazing how a lot of us (if not all) who "got it" while in drum corps, teach the same way as our instructors..

If I ever meet you last three in person, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

Just when I start to think we have been bandoed, you guys saved some of my faith. :-)

What many people miss out on is the fact that these are pretty intense relationships between instructors and members. In my school I actually have the possibility of teaching a kid for 13 years ( preK through 12th) Rude or smart ### remarks are never given to new kids until a relationship has been founded. When I taught corps it was the same way. If a teacher or instructor doesn't have the ability to build these relationships then they will never be a mentor, just an instructor.

When I tell my students that I love them, they know it's from the heart

Wax on, wax off............

Day of finals, Tyler Dempsey was to be pink bellied. He pulled a knife on us though, and chased us away, like a feral chihuahua. It was rather awesome. Fight to the end. HFL.

Y'all sound like a bunch of frat boys from my days in school. "Hell yeah I poured lighter fluid on him and crapped in his hands. THEY DID IT TO ME WHEN I WAS A PLEDGE!!!"

There's nothing inherently wrong with rough language, criticism, etc. People respond to a multitude of techniques, and a good teacher will probably use as many tools as is necessary to get the job done. That said, it's possible to discuss inspirational teaching moments -- some of which might not include salacious language and/or laps or pushups -- even if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Nobody here is suggesting that such a discussion could not, or should not take place. We are commenting on the original posters initial statement of the purpose of the thread, which is in response to a thread of amusing staff anecdotes which he terms as "awful". That attitude is the only one in this thread that suggests that one way or the other is wrong, or that a particular discussion should or should not happen.

• Like 2

A Corps Director of average means with a wife and 2 teenage children took out a home mortgage line of credit on their own home and used the funds to keep the Corps afloat financially.

If that is not love, sacrifice, and committment, then I don't know what the definition of these terms are.

To follow on what you're saying...

Having a good corps director is extremely important. You want a corps director who is going to care about each member enough to learn their name and know them as a person. Some corps directors don't even know some of the kids names and some know each member quite well.

It goes along with being passionate about your job. Not even caring how much money you make or lose, it's just they people you're around and the experiences you give them and you experience yourself.