Inspirational Instructor Moments

I don't understand why we need to be so spiteful in the drum corps community. When I marched some years were better than others but I was lucky that I had a great group of instructors who never tore me down. There were at times funny comments that could of been taken the wrong way. In the opposing thread to this people were writing about instructors being flat out insulting.

I'm not suggesting that we become all rainbows and unicorns as drum corps is a difficult activity which takes a special calibre of people to participate. That's what makes it special is not everyone can do it. The drum corps community is spiteful in general and I feel we need to realize this and make a change.

I marched the Bluecoats. Doug Thrower had a life lasting impact on me. I'm sure there were moments when he wasn't totally trilled to be instructing but when I picture him he's happy, smiling, proud of the membership and you felt he had a vested interested in you. Let's talk about these great people and moments more and be less spiteful.

So Ashy!

• Like 1

A Corps Director of average means with a wife and 2 teenage children took out a home mortgage line of credit on their own home and used the funds to keep the Corps afloat financially.

If that is not love, sacrifice, and committment, then I don't know what the definition of these terms are.

This is not inspirational. This is bad business and worse finance.

• Like 1

This is not inspirational. This is bad business and worse finance.

Of all the things people use their home mortgage line of credit funds for ( new kitchen, bathroom, wide screen TV, vacation, gambling, give to an overcharged, overblown tony college, boats, cars, other " toys " etc), giving it to a Drum Corps seems no worse a choice to me. I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't do it. Its not a wise business or finance decision,I agree. But he did it for love. Not for business. Yet, he got his " investment " back 10 fold with this selfless act of commitment and sacrifice too. His Wake brought out hundreds and hundreds of former marchers that stretched for a mile whose lives were " inspired " by him and remember how he used the money he had. I'd say his " personal financial investment " got back one hell of a good " return " in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

When I marched we had an instructor who used to tell us a story about a friend of his who was looking for a fourth to play competitive bridge that evening at his house. This instructor told him he could play competitive bridge and would be glad to be their fourth player. Then he asked when everyone was showing up. When the guy gave him the time he asked if he could come an hour earlier so the guy could teach him the rules to competitve bridge. Surprised, the guy said I thought you said you can play competitive bridge. and the instructor replied, I can, but noone has shown me how yet.

The moral to the story was that just cause he didn't know how to do something yet didn't mean he couldn't, he just needed to learn how to do it.

People are more motivated and pushed past their personal limits by the R Lee Ermys types than the mamby pampby types IMHO. I lOve the staff quotes thread. Marc Sylvester is hilarious. His results are his excuse albeit a bit crazy

• Like 2

People are more motivated and pushed past their personal limits by the R Lee Ermys types than the mamby pampby types IMHO. I lOve the staff quotes thread. Marc Sylvester is hilarious. His results are his excuse albeit a bit crazy

Yes, sir! Thanks for standing in this field, alone, with me, on this subject.

Yes, sir! Thanks for standing in this field, alone, with me, on this subject.

You're not alone.

A good instructor/director finds the quickest way to get a point across/ teach a lesson. Seldom do we have the time to sit around and teach the lessons they should have learned from watching Mister Rogers Neighborhood as a 4 year old.

My kids love/hate being zinged Rodney Dangerfield style and it keeps everyone interested in not being the next target.

• Like 2

Wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 2

The other thing that is hard to realize about the other thread, is the context of the comment. I marched under some instructors who would say some of the most outlandish and insulting things on the planet, but they weren't said in a way that was spiteful, or insulting, or mean. They used hyperbole and outrageous commentary because they knew that we would never forget those comments, and that those comments were tied to information, thus we would never forget the information. The comments, on paper sound completely awful, but that doesn't mean that they actually were being insulting.

That's not to say that every instructor had that mentality, but not every comment means what it says on paper.

• Like 2