Best corps names

And their uniform combination when they became The Thing perfectly matched their name.

A perfect blend of green and purple???

The green came from the St. Patrick's Imperials, while the purple came from the Thunderbolts half of the merger.

LOL....Pioneer should have kept that name..."The Thing"...I love it... :tongue:

Yup, Wisconsin.

Imperials of St. Patrick's (Milwaukee) and Mercury Thunderbolts (Cedarburg) merged to make "The Thing". We competed against them several times, and if I remember correctly, the hornline wore the Imperials green/white unis and the guard and drums wore the silver/red of the Thunderbolts. I do remember they were massive on the field - so many bodies!

Between the colors and the size, nothing but "The Thing" could describe them!

edit: JUst read NT's post - I don't remember purple but, there are plenty of things I don't remember correctly :tongue:

Edited by Tin Guardian

Blue Devils Bell and Drum Corps

And their uniform combination when they became The Thing perfectly matched their name.

A perfect blend of green and purple???

The green came from the St. Patrick's Imperials, while the purple came from the Thunderbolts half of the merger.

Yes. I remember seeing them for the first time at The World Open competition. Wow, the uniform sure was an eye opener re. the colors and whatnot, just like you said. When they were ready to step off and the announcer of the show said " Ladies and Gentlemen, taking the field for competition, The Thing !"... It sure was an interesting name I thought to myself.

Edited by BRASSO

Pioneer technically has a corporate based name. The Pioneer Container Company sponsored the new corps after it was formed from the Imperials of St. Patrick and The Mercury Thunderbolts. There is absolutely no connection between the company and the corps today, I don't know if the company even still exists.

Also, I think Minnesota Brass had a "corporate" name back during its early days, Grain Belt Diamonds, I believe was their name.

Also the Railmen were sponsored by the Rail company in Omaha NE which is why they are the Railmen, or were the railmen since they no longer exist

Yes. I remember seeing them for the first time at The World Open competition. Wow, the uniform sure was an eye opener re. the colors and whatnot, just like you said. When they were ready to step off and the announcer of the show said " Ladies and Gentlemen, taking the field for competition, The Thing !"... It sure was an interesting name I thought to myself.

I have a recording of the show in Minneapolis in 1973 (Blue Stars topped Madison) which was the first time that I saw The Thing. As soon as a guy sitting in front of me

heard the announcer give their unusual name, you can hear him remark, "Why don't they just call them the No Name Drum Corps?"

A few I like...

Annunciators from Cambridge/Somerville, MA

Apollo from Vancouver, WA

Ascension Boys from Minnesota

Bath Cadets from Bath, Maine

Blue Wanderers from Blue Point, NY

Brass Regiment from Park Falls, WI

Buddhist Scouts from Seattle, WA

Flashing Lassies from Monterey Park, CA

General Butler Vagabonds from Lyndora, PA

Hotshots from Norwalk, CT (my home town)

Little Flower from Baltimore, MD

Corpsreps.com has a very large searchable database of historic corps, many of which even a lot of us dinosaurs weren't around to see. For you young'ns it's a great resource for historic show repertoires and scores as well.

Some of these I knew before and some I did not:

84th Bucktail Regiment

Ajax Sea Cadet Bugle Band

Alamo Rangers

Appleknockers

Belleville Bellettes

Bengal Lancers

Black Barons

Black Shields of Sparta

Blue Wanderers

Bordentown Little Devils

Bluffton Pirates

That's not even all the way through Letter B - I won't bore you with the rest of the list but go take a look.

I have a recording of the show in Minneapolis in 1973 (Blue Stars topped Madison) which was the first time that I saw The Thing. As soon as a guy sitting in front of me

heard the announcer give their unusual name, you can hear him remark, "Why don't they just call them the No Name Drum Corps?"

You should've replied... " maybe you should shut up and join the thing " (haha)

Edited by BRASSO

LOL....Pioneer should have kept that name..."The Thing"...I love it... :tongue:

I think they should ditch everything having to do with "Pioneer" and the faux Irish elements of their uniform and persona, and yes, become "The Thing" again, with a programming philosophy that says 'conventions? what conventions?"

I suspect they might find a few more kids in the area willing to spend a summer having fun with a corps that kind of attitude.

Edited by mobrien