Alumni show finale

You gotta admit no matter what side of this post your on that Hawthorne looks great coming onto the field with all their flags flying! :thumbup:

Holding on to tradition. The Corps was formed in 1946 by WWII veterans returning home. I don't think that they're going to give up this tradition any time soon. Just ask George Hayek!!!

Edited by Vanguard Rich

There may be a VK Alumni Corps uniform or two on that field Sunday morning!

There may be a VK Alumni Corps uniform or two on that field Sunday morning!

And I just got confirmation that Charlie Groh needs a contra, so that is at least two now!

I'm from the boomer years. My dad served in Europe in WWII.

I was staunchly against the war in Viet Nam. Two of my drum corps buddies went over there and didn't make it back.

Even when I was a li'l squirt in Our Lady of the Single Valve Cadets, I didn't like the obligatory color pre. Before you draw and quarter me, my opinion is based solely on musical value.

I remember some thrilling cp's back in the day. I probably saw many of the posters on this board march. But I also saw some programs where the cp was wedged into the mix and didn't make sense in the overall show.

In my early teens, I was full of heretical questions for my instructors. Some examples:

"Why do we have to start and finish at the goal lines?"

"Why can't we march at a different tempo than 128 bpm?"

"What if the drums didn't play during the first part of a song?"

"Can't we do without 'four for nothing' and the roll-off?"

Of course, these posits were met with icy stares. I might as well have tried to join Audubon.

Even when I was a stripling, dc had gotten away from its military roots. The Hurcs doing "Maria"; Gabby reaching for the sky with "Caravan"; Sac exiting with "Laura." The cp had to go eventually.

This activity had to progress. I'm glad it did. How many people today would pay to see khaki-clad judges with guns and bass drummers with one stick? I was a member of a corps that a black person couldn't join. I knew of others, too, some of them national-caliber corps.

I had goosebumps when BAC came out with Tony Smith playing the horizontal, one-headed bass drums. Ditto, the ensuing timps, mallet instruments and the grounded pit. I like Bb horns, amplification and synthesizers. Note that none of these innovations is mandatory.

I like to see DCA corps with honor guards. Rich Tardie and his crew with The Wind do it up proud. I equally enjoy a well-sorted cp from an alumni corps. My good friends with Park City Pride do a swell job with "America the Beautiful" led by the venerable Jack Sullivan and his guard.

I have never disrespected our flag, our country or its vets. I admit I do have intermittent problems with people who think that the more hidebound rules, the better.

Bring it on. I'm old enough to take it.

Best,

Ace

Ace, I would like to have a conversation...we see eye to eye on *almost* everything you've stated (the one notable exception is the 'Nam war; I didn't have the moral character to see how wrong it really was, until I GOT THERE!)...but I constantly tweak my corps brothers and sisters when they start going off on "modern" drumcorps, and I really never had much use for CP (especially after we lost a championship due to a stupid flag code penalty...heh) and, well, I will search you out this coming weekend...count on it, partner...

cg

Ace, I would like to have a conversation...we see eye to eye on *almost* everything you've stated (the one notable exception is the 'Nam war; I didn't have the moral character to see how wrong it really was, until I GOT THERE!)...but I constantly tweak my corps brothers and sisters when they start going off on "modern" drumcorps, and I really never had much use for CP (especially after we lost a championship due to a stupid flag code penalty...heh) and, well, I will search you out this coming weekend...count on it, partner...

cg

I hope I'm wrong, but I remember Ace saying somewhere that he wasn't coming to Rochester this year.

Has the schedule been posted for the Alumni Spectacular as far as the order of performance and times?

Has the schedule been posted for the Alumni Spectacular as far as the order of performance and times?

Starts at 10:00 AM Sunday morning. The latest on the order can be found at:

http://www.dcacorps.org/?page_id=21&event_id=84

Starts at 10:00 AM Sunday morning. The latest on the order can be found at:

http://www.dcacorps.org/?page_id=21&event_id=84

Last I heard Reilly Raiders switched with us, so Raiders on 3rd, Bridgemen 4h.