DCI Minnesota 16 July 2011

Cadets were flat out robbed tonight. Their draw did not help, but these judges are supposed to be better than that. I'm not knocking anyone. BD is probably my favorite, but Cadets were way under where they should have been.

The only way Cadets might've been robbed is that they're not used to going on that early and maybe had a flat show. I really like their show, but they seemed a little flat tonight. I also think that their show has a great concept, but is missing at least one really great "wow" moment. I'm confident that this will be a bit different of a show in August, and I think that their show is almost great & with a few minor tweaks this will be a great show.

I wish I understood Cavies show, but I guess I'm not smart enougjh to get it.

I don't know if there's a ton to get: they march great. The play great. They spin great. I guess if anything think of it like the last 2 minutes of Cadets 2000, only it's an entire show of extraordinary things. The only bummer is that I won't get to see the show live, but each time I watch it on Fan Network I notice new things.

why is it bashing troopers?..just curious

Because of many many many of his previous posts over the last few years.

Some of my thoughts on the top groups after an extremely exciting evening viewing the webcast.

Cavaliers - So many truly "XtraordinarY" things going on out there. As, I have said many times, I liked their show last year less and less as the season went on because they added so much clutter, there was no clarity (and I even knew the show well enough to "know where to look"). I think at this point, their 2011 show has just the right amount of "GE stuff" going on to be extremely exciting, but still have some sense of focus.... I just hope they don't heap on quite a bit more from now to the end of the season. I see why they won, although I enjoyed a few other musical programs much better tonight. There are places in which I can hear great musical subtlety from them which I really enjoy... and other places where it seems like they just play a little too robotic-ally.

Carolina Crown - This has by far been my favorite show of the year... and one of my favorites ever, ever since I saw a crappy YouTube video of them before the Texas shows. And it just keeps getting better. All of the changes they have made are outstanding. As for the encore ending... just fantastic. For those who say there is not enough fast drill..... did you watch the intersecting FTL move at like a 4 to 5 step size just before the last Brass entrance?..... Yes, they are not playing, but neither does any other corps (except for the Cadets) when they are executing their most difficult drill moves. That move has so much velocity, and also looks really dangerous with the "figure 8" type pass-throughs. Musicality wise, I still believe Crown is on a different level from any other corps. They do so much subtle rubato in their slow playing which I can't imagine how they get that together on a football field that well.

Blue Devils - In my opinion, they have some of the most appropriate music ever performed by a drum corps. And what a brass sound. I agree that the show maybe could use a little more subtlety.... more medium level playing and less ffff... but I'm sure one can hear many more dynamic levels live. It's amazing how different their show is from last year.... yet so many people still trash them. For the record, I truly love both shows. Let's just face it..... many just do not like their musical arranger's and visual designer's style.

Cadets - My favorite drill this year by far..... I still think there are too many electronic sounds for their show concept and source material, but it did sound much better from the box. I can easily see this show staying in fourth place (or even being passed by Bluecoats) if they can't find that extra gear and/or find that some of the writing in unclean-able.... I can just as easily see this show winning. Exciting to see what happens.

Bluecoats - They were probably my surprise corps of the evening. I thoroughly enjoyed their performance and was quite surprised when they scored so low. I think they are the only other corps approaching Crown's league in musicality. I can't believe they can play with such blend in their slow piece spread out that far. I'll be kind of shocked if they don't end up at least 5th.

I really enjoyed each of the other corps' performances as well... just too tired to write anymore tonight. :sleeping:

• Like 4

Explain how it's clear that it'll be Crown when they only beat BD by .5 and Cadets by .40? That's not exactly clear to me. It maybe clear that CAVIES will take it, but certainly not Crown. There's still time left in the season.

I'm assuming that there was just a typo here, but I had it that Crown was ahead of BD by only .05 not .5?

At this point, I wouldn't be ready to declare Crown the clear 2nd place leader hot on the Cavies back. I think there is still a great deal of DC to go this season, with lots of possible outcomes

And before we forget, we should give a shout out to the Colts tonite. They got a late start to their season. But they topped Crossmen tonite, and are only 1.2 points in back of Spirit and less than a point and half in back of 12th place Troopers tonite. We might not have mentioned them as Corps with a shot at finals. But I was pleasantly surprised by their performance wtonite and they have a shot at Finals now too, imo.

Agreed....they are definitely in the hunt for that last finals spot.