DCI Minnesota 16 July 2011

And my moms a Retired English teacher and I've written a book.. Guess no one learned me how to spoke!!

Annoying pedant weighing in: "Drug" (when used as a verb) refers to administering a medicinal substance. It is not a past participle for "drag" (that would be "dragged").

Back to our regular drum corps discussion!

No offense taken...Honestly I think your reading to much into my reply. I really have no problem with constructive criticism per se. I have criticized "my corps" more than once about something I didn't care for over these years and even this week. While I do try to be balanced...I will admit it can be hard at times to be objective. I'm sure many people feel the same for their respective corps...

lol sorry, i guess im so use to the unbalanced posters on here :tongue: but for the record, i love bostons show, its just that one portion i was like, MOVE! but i just think the spreads should be even tighter between madison, boston, stars, and BK. I definitely think that stars should be closer than a point to madison, if boston fits in between thats fine, but i think it should be no more than a half a point separating stars and madison. maybe a full point between madison and BK? but these groups should be much closer.

Props to Madison and Boston! Congrats Craiga!!!

Thanks Bozzly, but really it should be congrats to all 6 corps who are pretty much even right now. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but when you have 5 or 6 corps so tight (and btw, so good) the results will be interesting. I have no idea what the final outcome will be, but having been a drum corps fan since 1977, I can say that this competitiveness is FAR superior to the years past when we could all stand in the lot before the show and predict the top 12.

It also should be noted that these 6 corps are far closer to the leader than ever this time of the season. Maybe we're actually seeing some parity? In any event, I have no doubt that we haven't seen the last surpise of 2011.

Blue Devils' last two National Championships would suggest that there is no judge whose job it is to count the number of sets a drill has. If the number of sets were judgeable, Cavies and Cadets would tie for first each year four or five points of the next corps.

As I said a couple days ago on the Minn prediction thread(and was mocked by a few folks), when you have 6 corps withtin a point and a half of each othet, the results will be interesting. I was proven right.

Minneapolis was the first really big show of the season where almost all the World Class Corps went head to head in the same competition. There were some surprises. The scores and placements with partial panels, and comparing scores and placements from different shows, with Corps where the show design is a work in progress, etc is now almost a distant memory. I expect we'll see more surprises along the way within groupings of Corps. If people don't like the scores and placements, I 'd tell them to relax. When it comes to the judging results, this is an equal opportunity frustration and happiness creator. You are just bound as a fan to be both piissed and happy with the judges at different stages within a summer season before it's all said and done.

Edited by BRASSO

lol sorry, i guess im so use to the unbalanced posters on here :tongue: but for the record, i love bostons show, its just that one portion i was like, MOVE! but i just think the spreads should be even tighter between madison, boston, stars, and BK. I definitely think that stars should be closer than a point to madison, if boston fits in between thats fine, but i think it should be no more than a half a point separating stars and madison. maybe a full point between madison and BK? but these groups should be much closer.

I think its still anyone's game for the 7-11 spots right now...2 points or less spreads can change in a heartbeat IMO. Just add a tenth or two across the board...and BAM...lol

-although i am alright with cavies winning, they were dirtier than they have been, and should not have been that far ahead of 2nd.

The judges don't decide what the overall spread between corps should be beforehand, then score to meet the overall spread. Arguing score totals without breaking down the numbers into captions is a pretty meaningless debate. For ex, if I look at Crown's numbers, the Guard score seems curiously low, but then again, their visual GE numbers and percussion numbers seem a little high, given what they're up against from the other top corps' perc and visual programs. That being the case, the overall spread is probably about right.

Though I'd agree Cavaliers had a dirty (for them) visual performance. That should be making everyone else at the top a little nervous. :cool:

Edited by mobrien

I honestly think its a myth that lightning will affect the computer like that as long as your properly grounded and have good surge protection. On the other hand, it is your asset to protect how you see fit.

Everything is grounded except for the cable coming in, unfortunately (we live in an old house that's been converted into apartments). And the area in which we live is notorious for power surges.

The judges don't decide what the overall spread between corps should be beforehand, then score to meet the overall spread. Arguing score totals without breaking down the numbers into captions is a pretty meaningless debate. For ex, if I look at Crown's numbers, the Guard score seems curiously low, but then again, their visual GE numbers and percussion numbers are higher than they should be, given what they're up against from the other top corps' perc and visual programs. That being the case, the overall spread is probably about right.

Though I'd agree Cavaliers had a dirty (for them) performance. That should be making everyone else at the top a little nervous. :cool:

The Cavs won with a spread of 1.4 points last night. The scores here are in the mid to high 80's right now. We can all be assured of 2 things :

1) the scores come Quarterfinals in Indy will be in the mid to high 90's for the 1st, 2nd place Corps.

2) The chances that the Cavs will have 1.4 point lead over all the other contenders come quaterfinals is equal to the chances that Phil Jackson will decide to announce in August he will be coaching the Bulls next season. That 1.4 point Cavies spread will be closed by the Quarterfinals by one of the Corps imo.

Edited by BRASSO

The judges don't decide what the overall spread between corps should be beforehand, then score to meet the overall spread. Arguing score totals without breaking down the numbers into captions is a pretty meaningless debate. For ex, if I look at Crown's numbers, the Guard score seems curiously low, but then again, their visual GE numbers and percussion numbers are higher than they should be, given what they're up against from the other top corps' perc and visual programs. That being the case, the overall spread is probably about right.

Though I'd agree Cavaliers had a dirty (for them) visual performance. That should be making everyone else at the top a little nervous. :cool:

you stop it with being logical, that is not belong here!:tongue:

Everything is grounded except for the cable coming in, unfortunately (we live in an old house that's been converted into apartments). And the area in which we live is notorious for power surges.

You can buy surge suppressors that have a line-in line-out for cable, but most cable connections are grounded by the cable company at the outside just as it comes to your house.

If you have power surges, then a Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) costs a hundred bucks and would be a good buy for you. The one thing that will kill computers faster than anything isn't a power outage, but the power going off-on-off-on. A "brown out" (not enough power) is also a PC killer.

When I was a kid my mom was so afraid of lighting us kids had to unplug EVERYTHING in the house, lamps, toasters, everything, then we all huddled in the hallway where there was no windows so the lightning couldn't come around the corner and get us!

Good or bad, you are shaped by your experiences growing up. :cool: