This is the Most Exciting Recap I Have Ever Seen

This recap: Minneapolis, is fantastic. What an amazingly non-slotted, tell it like it is vision of numbers. Beyond the obvious Crown overall in 2nd with Guard/Drumline in 6th,

Highlights:

Phantom: 5th Overall, 11th in Visual Enesmble Composition

Vanguard: 7th Overall, 11th in Music Effect

Madison: 8th Overall, 10th in Visual Effect, 12th in Percussion

What else did you see? This is EXCITING!

• Like 2

I agree, but you will have people that will say "how did so and so get this as a full corps, but this in X caption!! The judges are stupid!!!!".... even though it is possible for a corps to have a great percussion and brass section and a bad guard OR a high ensemble score and a low field score or vice versa. The sheets are wrote specifically to be different.

Crossmen: 16th Overall, 12th in Visual Effect

Glassmen: 14th Overall, 11th in Percussion

and...

Phantom and Bluecoats are both out-performing their visual books? doh.gif

Thank you for pointing out the positives as well : )! I had meant to do that, I just got excited (in case you couldn't tell)!

In regards to Phantom and Bluecoats outperforming, actually I have been really excited about what I feel is the better use of the composition box so far this season. I remember seeing Vanguard's visual composition numbers up over Phantom and BD out on the West Coast, but their performance numbers were well behind those groups!

I have always thought that the numbers are seperate (though I don't know that the judges do, and perhaps that is not the way the sheets are written either). Lets say Corps XYZ PERFORMS with the best darn, most consistent technique you have ever seen, but COMPOSITIONALLY only does the equivalent of 8's and 8's forward and backward at an 8 to 5 step size at 120 bpm with no slides over 45 degrees. Perhaps that group could get a rather high number in the Performance box like 9.8 (maybe not), but would get a deservedly low number in the Composition box like 1.1. That would only give them a total of 10.9, still a HORRIBLE Visual Performance number!

I suppose that you could look at this as "outperforming" the visual book, but I like to think of it a little more like risk v. reward: The higher the compositional demand, the greater the risk to the performance number, but the greater the reward if the members can pull it off!!!

I know it was just discussed in another thread about the sheets, but does anyone know how the philosophy actually works in this area?

Crossmen: 16th Overall, 12th in Visual Effect

Glassmen: 14th Overall, 11th in Percussion

and...

Phantom and Bluecoats are both out-performing their visual books? doh.gif

1. I personally think that Visual Ensemble scores were a little bit...odd...tonight, and I'm curious to see how that caption in particular compares to the rest of the season's regional scores

2. I think Phantom has some major visual design issues. They have some interesting (in a good way) moments, but overall it really seems lacking to me, especially compared to the rest of the Top 6. I think it's possible that visual design can cost them at least a placement at Finals without some fairly hefty rewrites.

3. I really like Bluecoats visual design; they seem to be doing quite a bit of complex stuff this year. They have some lagging moments in their show at times, but IMO their 'cool' stuff makes up for it. BUT, it's pretty dirty right now. I suspect once there is more clarity their design numbers will be higher and even out in relation to their performance sub-caption.

4. :offtopic:

The look on George Clooney's face when he realizes that his pseudo-girlfriend has a family in "Up in the Air" is just incredible acting! The way his facial expression very subtly goes from excitement (to be 'surprising' her at her front door), to shock, to betrayal, to heartbreak is the epitome of perfect expression.

I guess to tie this in to drum corps, many corps designers can take a cue from Clooney in regards to designing w/effective subtlety.

I don't understand.

If they are giving out a score based upon the drillbook, then that number shouldn't change at all from show to show, unless they change the drill. Same with music.

So can someone please explain to me what the difference between Visual Ensemble and Visual Performance is? And what is Music Ensemble, when they already have brass and percussion judged separately?

And then the sub-subcaptions (Rep, Prfm) (Vocab, Excl) (Cont, Achv) (Mus, Tech)

I'd like to know exactly what all this means.

Judges are judging their sheets and not the names. This is great

• Like 1