Rockin Rockford

PR 2 points over Bloo...???

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

God, I hope not. I think Cavies should win the fan voting, just about every show. Cavies or Cadets.

I DO not think PR should be winning any of the fan voting. So I'm not bitter... simply clarifying that the fan voting isn't exactly locked up and tight.

And why shouldn't PR win any of the FAN voting?? Your opinion is your opinion, but if the FANS like PR, then it is what it is.

Reading the reviews on this topic and others has got me really excited about seeing this year's shows. I will not get a chance until I hit port (Thailand, YES!), but reading reviews such as Mobrien's makes me feel as if I have seen the shows already.

Good idea for limiting the fan voting to those in attendance: OR codes on ticket stubs.

You have be savvy enough to :

a) send a text

b) have smartphone with internet access

c) have to fill out an online form with multiple fields to vote

Believe it or not -- there's still a large portion of cell phone users who don't bother with net access. There's also a (smaller) portion who pretty much don't text.

They're not getting a large % of the crowd in attendance. It's too complex.

Why is it so hard to believe that some of us don't have internet on our phones? You don't NEED internet access on your phone. I have never had it, and will never have it. I use my phone for one thing: making phone calls (imagine that!) Texting plans are a waste of money, in my opinion. If I want to give you a message, I will call you and say it to you. Anyway, my situation is probably a pretty common one.

Edited by Cardman

Just to compare.....

July 16 ................................... July 17

The Cavaliers 87.350 ............ The Cavaliers 87.90 + .55

Carolina Crown 85.950 .......... The Cadets 86.75 + 1.2

Blue Devils 85.900 ............... Blue Devils 86.45 + .55

The Cadets 85.550 .............. Carolina Crown 86.00 +.05

Phantom 83.100 ................. Phantom 84.85 + 1.75

Bluecoats 82.900 ................ Bluecoats 82.55 - .35

Santa Clara 80.850 .............. Santa Clara 81.95 + 1.1

Blue Stars 78.850 ............... Blue Stars 78.75 - .1

Is this true??? Anyone know why the scores haven't been posted on DCI.org?

Oh and by the way, I want to make sure those people who had the audacity to count Cadets and BD out see these scores.

Is this true??? Anyone know why the scores haven't been posted on DCI.org?

Oh and by the way, I want to make sure those people who had the audacity to count Cadets and BD out see these scores.

Based on corps' FB updates, the scores are accurate. No clue what's taking so long to get them up on DCI.

Stand packed (via Crown FB)

268440_10150273881407641_21330342640_7351940_2110716_n.jpg

I remember this place. It looks like the exact same stadium I marched in back in 1978:

rescan1978oaklandrockford12.jpg

Did they really buy tickets to sit on the ground? :blink:

Nothing against it, I just hope they at least got a discount.

Then again to think about it... it really is EPIC to see so many people at a show! :thumbup:

When my parents attended this show in '78, the front stands were completely sold out, so they had to sit in the back stands. Hence, all Dad's pictures were taken from the back. As far as I know, they paid the same ticket price as those lucky folks in front.

Edited by byline

Yeah, i know i didnt see them live. However, ive seen recent vids, and are not better than Bloo. PR maybe had an awesome showing? Yeah most likely. But +1.75 at a home show is fishy in regards to an entertainment caption.

I think show order has something to do with Phantom's margin over Bluecoats. Bluecoats went on second after Blue Stars, and were followed by two top three corps. Then INT, then 7th place SCV, and Phantom comes on and seems very impressive, with less room needing to be left at the top. I think Phantom also benefits visually at this stadium with the low press box, because their show is WAY more impressive low down than high up this year, IMO. I'm sure it didn't help that Bloo was performing when the sun was still in everyone's eyes, and Phantom was well past sunset.

Edited by skywhopper

I remember this place. It looks like the exact same stadium I marched in back in 1978:

When my parents attended this show in '78, the front stands were completely sold out, so they had to sit in the back stands. Hence, all Dad's pictures were taken from the back. As far as I know, they paid the same ticket price as those lucky folks in front.

Nice pics! Pretty much the same nowadays. It was just about exactly like my high school stadium--spaces in the floor to drop bottles and valuables through to the open weedy ground below and just a few, small entrances, and not nearly enough room between the very very long rows, rusty steel beams holding the place up--except they've clearly replaced the bleachers and flooring with aluminum (I assume they were originally wooden) in the past 10-15 years.

There were probably 100 people on the back stands, and those 20-30 people on the south end zone were, yes, paying customers. They had their roving reporter interview one of them over the PA system during a break in the show. There were quite a few folks in the beer garden who I assume had SRO tickets, as well.

The stadium had about 30 rows of seats. The middle section that we were in must have had 48-50 seats per row, minus some lower down where the entrances were, so average of 40 per row? So that'd be 1200 folks in the middle section, and there would be at least three times that total for the stadium, maybe four, so Phantom's 5000 number may actually be right. Incredible. Assuming everyone bought a ticket at an average price of, what $25? That's $125k in revenue right there. Nice start. I bet concessions and merch sales were really really slow after the show started, though.

FWIW, they had porta potties set up, but there *were* real, large bathrooms in the concession stand building. I assume with 2000 additional corps members and staff etc, they wanted to be sure there were plenty of places to go. We got there early and didn't have to wait in line at the gate, but getting into the stadium was tough. The people waiting under stands probably realized once they got up that the delay was because there was no room to get to your seat if it wasn't on the aisle, as the rows are so packed that everyone had their knees in everyone else's backs. So very few people even tried to leave. No one between corps, and very few people at INT.

I'll try to write up more later. Lots to say about this show.

Edited by skywhopper