Rockin Rockford

And why shouldn't PR win any of the FAN voting?? Your opinion is your opinion, but if the FANS like PR, then it is what it is.

When did I say fans don't like PR? When did I say I don't like PR? You are reaching Ella.

I said that I thought Cavies or Cadets should be winning fan voting. I said PR shouldn't be winning fan voting.

That means that I think the Cavies show, this year, appeals to more people than Regiment's. That doesn't include my preference at all, that is a differentiated observation.

The only booze is at the Alumni tent (and even then I'm surmising). I actually concur with the poster who said that Northern Illinois University would be a better venue. It's about 45 mins away or so and has much better facilities.

While I love the history of Boylan, if they continue to bring TOC to Rockford, I don't think this stadium is the place. Let the alumni set up shop in a local bar then they can stagger up the steps to their seats.

I agree that it isn't the best stadium.

However, the "beer tent" is of legend in the PR Alumni Association. The "beer tent" is one of the biggest events of the year for that organization and it also serves as the anniversary event for the 10 year groups.

Rickie V. has a close relationship with NIU bands, so maybe we'll see the change---since he isn't as "in" on the PR Alumni Association.

I agree that it isn't the best stadium.

However, the "beer tent" is of legend in the PR Alumni Association. The "beer tent" is one of the biggest events of the year for that organization and it also serves as the anniversary event for the 10 year groups.

Rickie V. has a close relationship with NIU bands, so maybe we'll see the change---since he isn't as "in" on the PR Alumni Association.

I think Show of Shows should go on as it used to be: a Phantom home show with some other corps from across the spectrum. What doesn't make sense is to paste a TOC label and lineup on a show and venue not really suited to it.

Those numbers incude people using APPS. Not sending a text to get a url to fill out form to vote.

My suspicion is that the VAST majority of votes were from those not in attendance. As I said earlier, the process is much simpler on a larger device and it does nothing to prevent invalid votes.

If I'm wrong I'll be glad to admit it publicly AND I'll be happy about it. I *want* the audience vote thing to work. But if the audience feels it's a sham it will have just the OPPOSITE effect they intend.

As for me assuming the "worst", I disagree. The worst would be a FMM in a CS program taking 30 mins to write a script automate it. I'm assuming that it was all done manually.

Conversely the "best" (for DCI at least) would be maybe 20% of the live audience actually voted from the show site and there was no off-site vote. Not very confident in this kind of result.

Why do you not agree with the accuracy of these votes?

I'm really not trying to be rude, but from what i recall, cavaliers have been on top of the "fan vote" since the beginning. Do you feel like they shouldn't be? Because idk why else everyone would complain.

I know everyone was complaining at the beginning how the green team posted it on their facebook so that's why they won. Well, it happens again and people STILL think there's outside voting being done.

Not saying that there isn't, but does it really matter? Are the rankings really that important?

I remember this place. It looks like the exact same stadium I marched in back in 1978:

rescan1978oaklandrockford12.jpg

When my parents attended this show in '78, the front stands were completely sold out, so they had to sit in the back stands. Hence, all Dad's pictures were taken from the back. As far as I know, they paid the same ticket price as those lucky folks in front.

These pics are wonderful! I was out of corps by 1978, but these pics are wonderful reminders of the history, and depth, of this activity.

Thanks!

When did I say fans don't like PR? When did I say I don't like PR? You are reaching Ella.

I said that I thought Cavies or Cadets should be winning fan voting. I said PR shouldn't be winning fan voting.

That means that I think the Cavies show, this year,

appeals to more people than Regiment's. That doesn't include my preference at all, that is a differentiated observation.

I think you may have misunderstood my statement. I'm saying that you are most certainly entitled to your opinion. In no way am I calling your like or dislike for PR into question by any means. I'm saying that you don't feel that PR should win fan voting, and there may be others that feel they should. That's the beauty of this monster, baby, it's fan voting.

I think Show of Shows should go on as it used to be: a Phantom home show with some other corps from across the spectrum. What doesn't make sense is to paste a TOC label and lineup on a show and venue not really suited to it.

I just don't see it that way. Would you rather have a sellout or a facility too big for those in attendance?

The Texas shows looked like a joke... the stands were mostly empty. When I'm at a sellout, big or small, there is a LOT more energy than when there are empty seats abound.

I don't think it has anything to do with a home show other than Phantom may have really put on an excellent show for the home crowd. And to be honest, many of us have seen vids of both corps and I would take issue that Regiment isn't better than Bloo. Not last year, but they are this year. You can't clean up boring......

Sorry, I just disagree with the premise that PR can't be better than Coats. Yes they can and by the scores from last night and tonight the judges obviously think so also. I'm not PR slappy and have been really critical of PR in the last 2 years, but this year they have a much better book and the scores are starting to prove that out.

Agreed...I would be the first person to cheer on my Bluecoats, but this year they have not written a good book. There are great pieces, but not a complete show. I have written extensively on this topic.

Until Denver, my favorite show was Blue Stars' Rebourne. At Denver, Phantom blew me away. PR is now my favorite show (along with Crown, but that is another love story), even though they recently put in 2 changes (ballad ending and transition into elsa) that I absolutely hate. I actually am very glad that DCI is moving towards rewarding the entertaining shows over just technically incredible books. Back when I marched at Bluecoats in 93 and 94, we were known as the corps that was not technically perfect, but put on a very entertaining show. Crowds loved us. Corps like Madison, SCV, and Phantom have always geared their shows to the audience, which should ALWAYS be the focus of every corps (this is a sport that performs for an audience!).

Why do you not agree with the accuracy of these votes?

I'm really not trying to be rude, but from what i recall, cavaliers have been on top of the "fan vote" since the beginning. Do you feel like they shouldn't be? Because idk why else everyone would complain.

I know everyone was complaining at the beginning how the green team posted it on their facebook so that's why they won. Well, it happens again and people STILL think there's outside voting being done.

Not saying that there isn't, but does it really matter? Are the rankings really that important?

You're missing the entire point. The voting mechanism is flawed. It has nothing to do with the results -- as you rightly point out the results are meaningless.

My posts here are pointing that the *idea* of fan voting (which I support BTW) is torpedoed by the terrible implementation. The *moment* there's a whiff of irregularity (pun intended) the vote goes from a net positive (involving the audience in the activity) to a negative.

Maybe they'll fix it.

But somehow I doubt it -- plenty of time between TX and Show of Shows to make some changes.