Wichita, KS

govsstuff Mike Haden

Troopers percussion bells & xylophone have an amazing sound. Almost synthetic.

Not sure what to make of that description.

Not sure what to make of that description.

me either..it is was it is I guess...lol

They play the chime part through a synth but have a chime in the pit.

When I saw them I heard the chimes, but it sounded like a sample (there was also wind noise, IIRC) and I didn't see a synth player doing anything. And yes, their own chimes, which would have sounded just the same, except real, were sitting idle. Definitely weird.

As for what the twitter bit about "synthetic" sound meant, my take is: One of my favorite parts of live acoustic music is that moment when you hear something performed so well that it sounds unreal. Maybe that's what the tweeter meant?

Edited by skywhopper

When I saw them I heard the chimes, but it sounded like a sample (there was also wind noise, IIRC) and I didn't see a synth player doing anything. And yes, their own chimes, which would have sounded just the same, except real, were sitting idle. Definitely weird.

As for what the twitter bit about "synthetic" sound meant, my take is: One of my favorite parts of live acoustic music is that moment when you hear something performed so well that it sounds unreal. Maybe that's what the tweeter meant?

I like your explanation as that makes a lot of sense...I definitely appreciate someone taking the time to tweet at a show in the first place....

Don't put percussionist out of a job with sampled percussion sounds! :cry: We're people too! :bigsmile: