** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

I didn't say that, you said that.

I said, "The east coast powers that be held off for as long as they could from expansion hoping new corps in the NE would spring up to help counter the growth of corps taking place outside of the NE".

Proof:

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before NE corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Doesn't sound to me like the NE corps are too interested in helping the expansion of DCA on a nation scale.

Rice

let's see...GA has been having them, MN has been havin some, I think MCL had one, Florida had some this year, the NC fiasco...I mean dude, this isn't gonna happen overnight. Even the corps agree on this. Trustme, if this power play was as insidious as you say, we would have heardfrom more than people tied to one corps claiming it.

If the east coast corps were truly interested in the expansion of DCA as they claim they are, they would do it willingly. They shouldn't have to be "paid off" to assist in helping the development of an organization they claim to care so much about.

Your comments only further my beliefs that I'm correct about who truly wants to see DCA expand nationwide.

Rice

Didn't Empire and Gades have a deal going til the economy tanked? So it looks like someone tried. it just didnt happen.

Anyone?

How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years?

How many of those shows had NE corps performing in them?

How many more years will it take before east coast corps make an effort to travel to a show outside of their region in an effort to help the expansion of DCA?

Rice

I'll answer your question with a question.

While you claim the NE corps should travel to prove they want growth, I'll ask you why they should travel? I mean...gasp...is a name really going to draw more fans in in an area where DCA in general is unkown?

Look at the NC show. CVand Gold were there, as was Heatwave. Hurcs, Bucs and Bush came down.

You had 3 major players from the NE there. You were not going to draw a lot of walkup interest in an area where there is no corps at $40 a ticket. They were charging less for the monster truck rally across the street that sold out.

so, by having those 3 corps, in an area DCA and really DCI isn't a hot bed in, how would they draw?

Fans in the upper midwest know MBI, Govies, Kilties etc. Are they drawing 5000 fans to their shows yet?

no. it takes time.

No one forced MBI to come in. Theywanted to, Lewisburg gladly took them in. Same with Scranton in the past. my first year I traveled to Chicago along with Steel City. we had more people on the field than there were in the stands.

Now tell me, playing to 100 people, how does thatmake DCA look? Not good. Think on that

1. How many shows has DCA sponsored - period - in the past 10 years?

You seem to be under the impression that DCA sponsors all the NE shows during the season.

That's... not factual...

2. NE shows usually have NE corps in them.

SE shows usually have SE corps, same with Midwest shows, California shows, etc.

What's your point?

3. NE corps would LOVE to go to more shows (more paydays), but they simply can't afford the travel costs.

Do you really think NE corps are better off financially than corps in other areas?

Why do *you* think the NE recently lost so many?

And what's so all-fired important about having a NE corps at a show anyway?

Do you think they're going to bring busloads of paying fans with them?

Heck, most NE fans won't travel a hundred miles for a show - and then it better be a big one...

IMO, local corps need to promote themselves locally - and get so good that people flock to see 'em.

Having a corps like the Bucs perform at a Texas show is not going to help Texas corps be any more successful.

It's like, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

Heh...

:worthy: :worthy:

The Kilties have been putting together TWO shows every season the last 4 years, always sponsoring one (or two) DCA shows themselves and developing a venue with various other organizations (like band booster clubs) for another.

let's see...GA has been having them, MN has been havin some, I think MCL had one, Florida had some this year, the NC fiasco...I mean dude, this isn't gonna happen overnight. Even the corps agree on this. Trustme, if this power play was as insidious as you say, we would have heardfrom more than people tied to one corps claiming it.

:ph34r:

OK boys, let's play nice. PLEASE ??

To all of you on both sides of the questions, Jeff has been closest to correctly bringing the right issues to bear.

Since I've started marching, the last time there were "DCA Name Corps" in my part of the world was the '75 Legion show here in Minneapolis..The closest any of the top level DCA corps have come since then was the show in Madison in '99 that was held in conjunction with DCI..The Renegades coming to DeKalb in 04 was the only other time.

Doing anything like what has been suggested is like any other 'investment', a business operation and would need to be planned and marketed like one. But IT WILL TAKE CREATIVITY AND COMPROMISE from ALL corps helping to fund the circuit and it's future..in order to pull it off.

I can only give you MY SINGULAR OPINION as to a possible plan..we here in the Upper Midwest have tried any number of times to put on an upscale show..The closest we ever got was the 1, 2 or even 3 "Drum Beauty" shows that packed virtually every venue in which they were held. Bigger shows became a near impossibility after the idiots running the city decided to raze the grandstands at Parade Stadiumm in addition to other 'artsy' additions to that part of Downtown.

Sure we had the Humpty-dome, but even the locals who wanted drum corps wouldn't support a show indoors.

NOW - that has been altered forever by the presence of the new facility at the U of M.

Those 2 shows have shown that our area can put together a pretty good show..BUT it will still be a big undertaking to draw even the old school fans to a show to see corps they may have only heard about from the locals who have been there or heard on a record or the even more rare video..

DCA has made GIANT strides in branding and marketing its product in the last few years, and this forums is another method of doing so..but it's only part of the project. Regardless of who has the title, it behooves one or more of the established "name" DCA corps that remain to give consideration to a trip to a show outside the NE on some kind of basis that will help to SELL the product in those new markets. I'm not saying that anyone should put themselves in any amount of financial staits or risks in order to do it, just that put some heads together to see about having a show in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida or one of any number of venues in the Midwest.

If corps are working to market themselves as new and upcoming DCA corps, it can't hurt to have help from everyone. Gil Silva and the DCA board have come a long way in helping..it needs a kick in the butt to keep it going.

To Jeff and those victims of that Chicago snafu: As big as Chi-town is - "Sr." Corps has had a dicey existence at best. That show was doomed from the outset..sorry folks..just giving MY OPINION. And the world has changed since then..

Time for some teleconferencing and brainstorming.. the idea of 1 show outside the regular area needs to be hashed out..I'm SURE there are enough intelligent business minds in the community that even one or 2 ideas can be tried w/o breaking the bank or member corps..Folks may have to help fundraise in numerous ways to put something together.

OK - off my rant.

Running and hiding now :innocent:

Pat

The Kilties have been putting together TWO shows every season the last 4 years, always sponsoring one (or two) DCA shows themselves and developing a venue with various other organizations (like band booster clubs) for another.

that's right...didn't mean to forget you guys, was just thinking quick while the preapprovals processed

:ph34r:

OK boys, let's play nice. PLEASE ??

Pat

Yeah, what he said!

Hey old guys - I think the only reason this thread hasn't been pruned and prettied up is that it needed to go where it did. But please, argue passionately but smartly, no personal stuff, etc, etc,...you know the drill, m'kay?

1. How many shows has DCA sponsored - period - in the past 10 years?

You seem to be under the impression that DCA sponsors all the NE shows during the season.

That's... not factual...

The question was, "How many DCA sponsored shows have taken place outside of the NE in the last ten years"?

The answer is none. Doesn't sound very proactive to me for an organization that wants to grow on a national scale.

2. NE shows usually have NE corps in them.

SE shows usually have SE corps, same with Midwest shows, California shows, etc.

What's your point?

If the NE corps are interested in seeing DCA grow as they say they are, why can't they travel, Diceman? The other corps do. It makes their words sound kind of like lip service to me.

3. NE corps would LOVE to go to more shows (more paydays), but they simply can't afford the travel costs.

Do you really think NE corps are better off financially than corps in other areas?

That's what most people from back there would like me to believe. LOL

Why do *you* think the NE recently lost so many?

Poor managment decisions would be my first guess.

And what's so all-fired important about having a NE corps at a show anyway?

Absolutely nothing. Other than they would be putting their money where their mouths are for a change. Want to grow DCA? Try being a part of the effort.

Do you think they're going to bring busloads of paying fans with them?

No, the idea is that expend a little effort to help grow the organization through participation outside of their region. I don't see why this is such a big hurdle for the NE corps when all the other corps can do it.

Heck, most NE fans won't travel a hundred miles for a show - and then it better be a big one...

There. See. You agree with me!!! LOL Not much to rely on there for organizational support is there?

IMO, local corps need to promote themselves locally - and get so good that people flock to see 'em.

Having a corps like the Bucs perform at a Texas show is not going to help Texas corps be any more successful.

No, but it would build up the line up for a show and help to attact locals who would like to see more than three corps perform. It could also eventually help to build up a circuit in that area.

It's like, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

Heh...

It all comes down to what Kamarag spewed: "The onus here isn't on the Northeast corps, it's on the rest. You want them at your show? Make it happen. Money talks, and bullcrap walks. Make the NE corps WANT to come to your show."

Yeah, real nice attitude towards those poeple you are trying so hard to help, Kamarag!

Rice

Would it not make more sense to have a DCA East, South, Midwest and West as opposed to trying to copy what DCI does? For a weekend activity, especially in this economy, one major trip a year is more than enough, and way more than some corps can afford. So regionalize it. Build the 4 circuits, with the winners (top 3, whatever) getting prize money/subsidies to travel to a championships.

Looking at the audiences that attend the shows, especially the average age and direct corps association, however, I think DCA has a bigger problem than "XXX corps travels and XXX corps does not". Taking this last show as an example, who wants to take their family to a 100 degree stadium, paying $25+ a ticket, to see 5 competing corps and a few exhibitions? What's the marketing scheme and who's the target audience? THOSE questions are more important to the health of DCA, not who can or should travel where... Bucs can go on a nationwide tour every year, and the fundamnetal problems will still exist. Fix those problems, grow a true fan base for the activity instead of parents and vets, and the rest will handle itself.