Odessa Tumbleweed Extravaganza

Hockeydad I think the word should be adversity

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I meant "adversity"...and btw, my degree is in English! That's what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee in the morning. I was just so thrilled with the week that Boston has had, despite the weather(which everyone had to contend with) plus the truck debacle, no equipment for a whole day, etc.

The kids are getting it done.

• Like 3

Congrats to BAC tonight on their win. Things sure are interesting this year. Scouts rebounded well. Tomorrow will be fun! :thumbup:

Yes. Tonite's another night to perform and before yet another judging panel. Anything can and will probably happen, imo.

Last night SCV topped Bluecoats in another show. Frankly, I'd have not predicted that before the evening started.

Glassmen percussion second. Pretty Much the .only reason they beat troop. 2 pt spread. Guard holding them back still.

Their percussion is better than Troop, but, not 2 points. You will see a quick correction in the next show and Troop will again pass them and increase the spread against Academy, etc...

Hi all, long time lurker that finally came out of lurkdom to post! I would just like to say that this season, I was really concerned (as many were) about the TOC and how it would affect the activity and possibly disadvantage those corps that are not historically in the top 8. It pleases me so to see that from a fan standpoint, this has apparently not been the case. Two shows were held in Tx last night- one TOC, and one that had corps who are competing for the 8-12 slots and semi spots-- and stuck out in the middle of West Texas to boot! This thread discusses the latter group, and it is JUST as long as the TOC Houston thread. As a matter of fact, from what I've been reading on here it seems that the battle over the 8th spot and lower is getting a lot more press than the top 8!

Excellent job to ALL of our kids- no matter your corps or your ranking, this drum corps mom of three seasons now knows how hard you work. If any member is reading this, you are doing an excellent job of entertaining us this season and we say THANKS!

And now, I'm off to San Antonio! Good luck to all the corps today and have safe travels PLEASE!

• Like 4

AMEN AND WELL SAID!!!

Their percussion is better than Troop, but, not 2 points. You will see a quick correction in the next show and Troop will again pass them and increase the spread against Academy, etc...

If Glassmen's percussion was better than Madison (the corps between Troop and Glass in performance order) last night then the judge had to give them that score. Glassmen have the advantage at all non-Regional shows this summer because they were in FInals and Troop was in 15th. (Spirit has a further disadvantage because they are in the 16-18 pool.)

Tonight Glassmen will go on before the break, so those advantages go away. I'm not going to try and predict what the results will be tonight, but if Troop can take 12th again then they're in great position for Quarterfinals.

Glassmen have the advantage at all non-Regional shows this summer because they were in FInals and Troop was in 15th. (Spirit has a further disadvantage because they are in the 16-18 pool.)

I fail to see why last year's placements would have anything at all to do with the judging on a show performance this year. The marchers were not the same... some of the staff are not the same.... nor are the shows and levels of execution the same. I certainly HOPE that this is not the case. Should we give the Green Bay Packers 7 points in all their football games this before the kick off in all their scheduled games because they won the Super Bowl last year ? ( if you are a Packers fan, don't answer this..haha)

Edited by BRASSO

I fail to see why last year's placements would have anything at all to do with the judging on a show performance this year. The marchers were not the same... some of the staff are not the same.... nor are the shows and levels of execution the same. I certainly HOPE that this is not the case. Should we give the Green Bay Packers 7 points in all their football games this before the kick off in all their scheduled games because they won the Super Bowl last year ? ( if you are a Packers fan, don't answer this..haha)

See my example above:

- Troop takes the field, gets a 15 in drums.

- Madison goes next, gets 16.6.

- Glassmen take the field, do better in drums than Madison according to the judge.

That's how they got a 17. I don't know what they would have scored without the Madison buffer, but at their last show they had a 15.4. I have no doubt that Glassmen played their ### off last night, but anything below a 16.3 in drums last night would have given Troop the victory. If they had performed better than Madison and the judge gave Glassmen a 16, that would have been slotting.

And that's how the activity operates. It's not a conspiracy, it's the effect of luck on the schedule. Glassmen, Madison, and BK are in the same pool all summer at non-Regionals and if Glassmen gets the later draw and can beat either Madison or BK in a caption then they're going to get a huge boost because of it unless Madison/BK's caption is in the same range as Troop/Spirit.

adversity?

I would definitely SAY it was a day of "adversity" for Boston (BAC) to beat beat Scouts in Denton...BAC's equipment truck broke down...the corps actually rehearsed without equipment...so they had no music rehearsal...no ensemble rehearsal...and no run-through to speak of....the pit spent the entire day at the stadium where the Cavies fed them...and the whole corps wasn't together until warm-ups at Denton when Teal Sound pulled in with their equipment...what a day that was for them....

So was it a day of adversity?...YES!!!!...And BAC persevered :thumbup:

See my example above:

- Troop takes the field, gets a 15 in drums.

- Madison goes next, gets 16.6.

- Glassmen take the field, do better in drums than Madison according to the judge.

That's how they got a 17. I don't know what they would have scored without the Madison buffer, but at their last show they had a 15.4. I have no doubt that Glassmen played their ### off last night, but anything below a 16.3 in drums last night would have given Troop the victory. If they had performed better than Madison and the judge gave Glassmen a 16, that would have been slotting.

And that's how the activity operates. It's not a conspiracy, it's the effect of luck on the schedule. Glassmen, Madison, and BK are in the same pool all summer at non-Regionals and if Glassmen gets the later draw and can beat either Madison or BK in a caption then they're going to get a huge boost because of it unless Madison/BK's caption is in the same range as Troop/Spirit.

2 simple questions requiring a simple " yes " or " no " answer :

1) are you a percussionist that marched a percussive instrument in DCI ?.... and...

2) were you at the show in which you are making a comment on the percussion performance and percussion scores re. the Glassmen, Madison, and Troopers ? Just asking, mind you. " Yes ? " .. or... " no ? "

Edited by BRASSO