Odessa Tumbleweed Extravaganza

I would definitely SAY it was a day of "adversity" for Boston (BAC) to beat beat Scouts in Denton...BAC's equipment truck broke down...the corps actually rehearsed without equipment...so they had no music rehearsal...no ensemble rehearsal...and no run-through to speak of....the pit spent the entire day at the stadium where the Cavies fed them...and the whole corps wasn't together until warm-ups at Denton when Teal Sound pulled in with their equipment...what a day that was for them....

So was it a day of adversity?...YES!!!!...And BAC persevered :thumbup:

Liahona... the poster " timestamp " here I believe is referring to "Craiga" poster

s comments above where he inadvertently used the term " diversity " when he acknowledged later on this thread that he meant to type in " adversity ". Timestamp may have been asking if Craiga meant to type in " adversity ? " with his comment here. Craiga came on later and said he was caffeine deficient ( haha ) when he mistyped the word that he meant to type in. I think thats it anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Liahona... the poster " timestamp " here I believe is referring to "Craiga" poster

s comments above where he inadvertently used the term " diversity " when he acknowledged later on this thread that he meant to type in " adversity ". Timestamp may have been asking if Craiga meant to type in " adversity ? " with his comment here. Craiga came on later and said he was caffeine deficient ( haha ) when he mistyped the word that he meant to type in. I think thats it anyway.

Ok...thanks for all the clarification...I guess I took everything out of "context"...my bad...oh well

Hi all, long time lurker that finally came out of lurkdom to post! I would just like to say that this season, I was really concerned (as many were) about the TOC and how it would affect the activity and possibly disadvantage those corps that are not historically in the top 8. It pleases me so to see that from a fan standpoint, this has apparently not been the case. Two shows were held in Tx last night- one TOC, and one that had corps who are competing for the 8-12 slots and semi spots-- and stuck out in the middle of West Texas to boot! This thread discusses the latter group, and it is JUST as long as the TOC Houston thread. As a matter of fact, from what I've been reading on here it seems that the battle over the 8th spot and lower is getting a lot more press than the top 8!

Excellent job to ALL of our kids- no matter your corps or your ranking, this drum corps mom of three seasons now knows how hard you work. If any member is reading this, you are doing an excellent job of entertaining us this season and we say THANKS!

And now, I'm off to San Antonio! Good luck to all the corps today and have safe travels PLEASE!

I take exception to one comment you made here where you say there were two shows in TX, "one TOC, and one that had corps who are competing for the 8-12 spots and semi-spots". Really? The corps performing in Odessa are shooting for no better than 8th? Tell that to those kids. I would believe there are at least a couple of corps that are trying for better than that! and maybe a couple would say they aren't shooting for any particular spot but to say they are trying for no better than 8th is relgating them to being underachievers. I believe a coupled of these corps will be bumping out a couple of TOC corps by seasons end.

• Like 3

That is absolutely not what I meant to say at all. I can assure you that I do not believe that ANY kid who marches corps is an "underachiever", lol, but thank you for pointing it out so that I can clarify. My son is one of those kids and I can promise you that he is not an underachiever. Actually, it is funny because he is not really that worried about rankings- he always talks about if it was a good show and what they can do better and that is what really counts :-)

And now, back to lurkdom!!

That is absolutely not what I meant to say at all. I can assure you that I do not believe that ANY kid who marches corps is an "underachiever", lol, but thank you for pointing it out so that I can clarify. My son is one of those kids and I can promise you that he is not an underachiever. Actually, it is funny because he is not really that worried about rankings- he always talks about if it was a good show and what they can do better and that is what really counts :-)

The kids all want to excel, and win Nationals, win the lottery, and get the hot guy or girl.... :tongue: I can't speak regarding the other corps, but I do know with BAC at least, the staff keeps the kids focused on improving their show night after night, since that is what the members are most in control of. If the emphasis stays on the show, the expectation is the numbers will take care of themselves. If your son marches in Boston, that is reflective of how he is being taught.

I don't want to speak for 7567BC, but I share his view that these kids (including the teams from Wisconsin and Colorado) do not view themselves as a warmup act....which you probably know. :smile:

Edited by craiga
  • Like 2

Not a problem. When I marched there wasn't much concern about placement. Sure we wanted to win, we are all somewhat comeptitive in this drum corps life, but it was never the be all end all. I know for certain that the same philosophy holds true to this day with my former corps. My only point was that we shouldn't shortchange any of this group as they are all quite capable Please don't lurk, join in all this posting fun!!!