BD 2010

While I could completely understand the loathing and deep hatred for this show in 2010, the parallels the show draws to Star '93 are unmistakable - a show that at the time was not necessarily understood or enjoyed, but after time and some "eddication," reveals a rich show that was not quite so mainstream or expected.

Edited by Measton

Man, I really wish I could echo the original poster's thoughts on this show, but I have watched it many, many times over and over and I still very strongly dislike it. That being said, I don't think they shouldn't have won. They were nearly flawless in their execution. This music will probably never "grow" on me. It's just how it is. There have been other shows in the past that were like this (SCV 2003 comes to mind) where I tried really hard to enjoy the music but just couldn't because it just doesn't "float my boat" for whatever reason. I still appreciate the excellence of the shows, but I never watch them anymore (I've only seen them about a bazillion times.)

BD2010: Quite possibly my favorite show ever... Amazing music, in spite of the not playing tunes that are easily recognized. visually stunning, almost painfully clean, mirrors: unbelievable addition to the theme, etc... No way was another corp close. In spite of those that complain about how easy the show is, it is very demanding.

BD2011: trailing, but I think that they are surprising a lot of people with their show. The music is fun, not dark like the last few shows. Perc line is pretty darn good, and they still have a lot of room to improve...

Some of the other shows are so simple to get that it is kind of like watching or reading a mystery. Good once, but not so good after that. BD shows for the past few years have challenged the audience to watch them multiple times to really appreciate them.

Of course detractors will never like them, but they are not really the target. BD remains on top of their game, and the other corps this year are on top of theirs as well.

Best to all,

A BD FAN, unashamedly, unabashedly and proud

• Like 4

I love this thread.

• Like 1

BD2010: Quite possibly my favorite show ever... Amazing music, in spite of the not playing tunes that are easily recognized. visually stunning, almost painfully clean, mirrors: unbelievable addition to the theme, etc... No way was another corp close. In spite of those that complain about how easy the show is, it is very demanding.

BD2011: trailing, but I think that they are surprising a lot of people with their show. The music is fun, not dark like the last few shows. Perc line is pretty darn good, and they still have a lot of room to improve...

Some of the other shows are so simple to get that it is kind of like watching or reading a mystery. Good once, but not so good after that. BD shows for the past few years have challenged the audience to watch them multiple times to really appreciate them.

Of course detractors will never like them, but they are not really the target. BD remains on top of their game, and the other corps this year are on top of theirs as well.

Best to all,

A BD FAN, unashamedly, unabashedly and proud

BD 2010 is definitely my favorite show ever, by a landslide. I live for that kind of in-your-face creativity. Interesting all the references to '93 Star as that used to be my favorite show until BD 2010 blew it out of the water.

The thing that impresses me about 2011 BD is that they have managed to take pop music and give it some depth. It's not easy to do that kind of music and not be cheesy (think the Cavies' Billy Joel show for example).

Edited by BDUFLS

The thing that impresses me about 2011 BD is that they have managed to take pop music and give it some depth. It's not easy to do that kind of music and not be cheesy (think the Cavies' Billy Joel show for example).

I wouldn't call the Billy Joel one cheesy, but I still applaud what BD is doing with the music this year. They've really given Burt Bacarach some great new depth.

I guess I'm different from everyone else about last year, I loved the music, but still to this day can't stand the visual. But they did put on a very, very clean show, no matter the difficulty level. And this year is very good. Will it win, I don't really think so, but it will be a great show no matter where they end up! :thumbup:

Good luck Devs!

BD deserved to win last year. Doesnt change my thoughts on the actual show one bit

• Like 1

My favorite shot in the multi-cam recording of the finals performance is of the *beautiful* jazz-running during the tire treads.

Superhuman. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

On another note, people seem sort of defensive about the fact that they still don't like the show... It's okay, guys. Not liking it is okay. Really. Really.

Edited by saxfreq1128

My favorite shot in the multi-cam recording of the finals performance is of the *beautiful* jazz-running during the tire treads.

Superhuman. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

On another note, people seem sort of defensive about the fact that they still don't like the show... It's okay, guys. Not liking it is okay. Really. Really.

It's good to know now. last season, we were all told we weren't smart enough to get the show, or were just jealous cause we weren't in BD.... so it got old fast, so defending not liking the show became a habit.

That gazelle running did look really good, that's some consistent technique right there. :thumbup:

LOL! Hey, I didn't say it was suddenly the lust of my life! :tongue: But I do appreciate it more, and the multi-cam video certainly enhances it.

My wife is still not convinced. And I think it's an important question as to whether you want a show with instant appeal or one that requires lots of viewings to appreciate. How many potential drum corps fans walked out of the only show they went to last year thinking, "If that's what wins, others are going to copy it, so I might go to Six Flags instead next year."

I really do applaud the new direction that seems to me to have already started this year. If my kid had not resumed marching, I certainly wouldn't have paid for a Fan Network subscription and might not have learned that DCI was trying to steer things in a direction with somewhat more mass appeal. (OK, music majors -- you can shudder now! :devil:)