Can someone explain to me how blue devils win all visual captions when they mostly sit or stand?

They sit and stand with perfect horn carriage? :w00t:

But seriously, this is a big fat falsehood. They do lots of very difficult movement. Maybe it's less than other corps, but it's not a standstill concert. I would prefer fewer park and blow moments, but it's not fair to say they "mostly sit or stand".

I'm sick of all this crap about BD standing around d all the time. If you take the hate goggles off you will notice that almost all those corps have A LOT of stand still. Also they have the cleanest execution of their technique. I watched a SA video and was in awe at how good it was. They win because they deserved the caption. I don't see anyone complaining about crown when they win brass by saying cavies cadets or BD play harder stuff.

• Like 5

Can someone explain to me how blue devils win all visual captions when they mostly sit or stand?

They do it with mirrors. Oh, wait, that was last year. :tongue:

Could it possibly be, that you are exaggerating slightly about their "mostly" sitting or standing?

Hey Brandon... I get where you are coming from... I really do. But does it REALLY matter? If you LOVE a lot of shows this year (even if you are not a fan of BD); if this year becomes a year where you have tons of corps getting many plays on your iPod; if the shows just really do it for you; does it REALLY matter who won? Really?

Sounds like the fans are going to win this year, and isn't that what it's all really about?

Minor correction:

I do not hate BD.

I love everything about BD's sound. Their ensemble playing is fantastic. I absolutely adore the richness of their brass playing. It's amazing. Those kids are amazing. So much talent all in one place.

What frustrates me is when talent like that is spent on a design that just does absolutely nothing for me. I want, desperately, to love a BD *show*. I've loved BD shows in the past, and I will continue to be a big fan of their sound...but the past few years the design has just been the definition of "meh" to me...and that's really what frustrates me. I worry that if those kinds of shows win too much, that everyone else will want to emulate it, and I'll sadly lose interest in an activity I've loved for years.

Electronics, mic'd pits...none of that will ever make me leave. It's all about design for me. Always.

• Like 1

Hey Brandon... I get where you are coming from... I really do. But does it REALLY matter? If you LOVE a lot of shows this year (even if you are not a fan of BD); if this year becomes a year where you have tons of corps getting many plays on your iPod; if the shows just really do it for you; does it REALLY matter who won? Really?

Sounds like the fans are going to win this year, and isn't that what it's all really about?

If it didn't matter who won, then this wouldn't be a competition. I know when I was out on that field, I wanted to beat everyone else but knowing that the fans loved what we were doing helped losing a lot. But still, everyone out there is competing for that top spot and the fans are right there with them fighting for their corps.

Where are you guys finding the recap? I keep refreshing DCI scores, but I don't even see scores yet...?

I was about to ask the same #### question.

If BD beats cavaliers or cadets with their easier-than-pie show I will be severely disappointed. I have always been in the understanding that the Judges should reward whoever ACCOMPLISHES the most. BD yes, they are extremely squeaky clean, but its because their show is EASY. They dont play and move hardly at all and they only really get loud when they just stand there and park and blow (cough cough.. half their show, cough). I hate being a hater (lol irony) but I cannot stand it when this happens in any marching music competition, whether its BoA with the top schools always winning because they have a relatively short show that is squeaky clean and easy, but musically stunning.

Same with DCI right now... Im sorry but both Cadets AND cavaliers are accomplishing ridiculously amazing things on the field and just because they arent as clean as BD doesnt mean that BD should automatically win. It is ridiculous to think that BD will win with another ######## easy show that is fantabulously amazing musically but a snoozefest visually. Sorry that just doesnt do anything for me in my book.

• Like 6

Looked like the Cadets were a bit sloppier than the Cavies tonight, but the show is really coming together. The hi-res production is really bringing out the show design factor tonight. Just a incredibly hard show, probably the hardest of the year (besides cavies). But I think I have to give it to Cavies tonight. By a hair.