TOC: A Few Thoughts

And along those lines, the 8th place could have been offered as a turnstyle place for corps competing for the 8th spot (this year Boston, Scouts, BK, and BS). There is a nice little gap between that 7th and 8th place right now. I could see TOC becoming the same top 7 with a rotating 8th place corps every year to keep the conspiracy theorists at bay.

This is true.....but I know we both hope you are wrong.... :smile:

• Like 1

OK, I'll take the bait!

YOU believe ALL of us that support one of the current TOC corps are some elitist group of snobs? Perhaps some are, but you are not going to pin that crap on me. So far this year I have attended 4 Scouts, 3 BAC shows, and 3 hows that had no top 8 finishers from last year at all, and seen my Phantom Regiment only twice.

IF the TOC had started in 2010, WHY would I be upset? YOU THINK it's because my favorite and home corps WOULD NOT be included. YOU believe I would be upset and crying like I hear so many of you doing this season. I WOULD NOT BE. In 2009 my home corps finished 9th and would not have qualified for the new TOC program. Its a very simple and straight forward process. Still, I would still be attending the TOC show - even if it DID NOT include Phantom. You can take that to the bank. Would I be mad at the Phantom staff as I was at the end of the 'Red Violin' season? You bet ya! But, unlike a lot of posters here, I make sure I do everything I can to help the staff of my favorite corps - so they get better the next year, and the year after that.

I don't need to bash the corps that finish above my favorite; I just volunteer more, donate more money and do whatever I can to make my favorite better.

....and this year, who knows - my corps might not finish 8th or above and YOUR corps might be replacing it. I can accept that IF IT HAPPENS. I know I will work harder to get the corps back up to where it has traditionally been. I know the corps will work harder too.

By the way, what do you do, craiga, for your corps. I forgot........

Wow. I really didn't mean to offend you. Just a couple points....first, if you look into my posting history, you'll see that I don't bash other corps, yours included. Further, I don't whine about placements, judges, conspiracies, etc. In fact, when alot of folks here were suggesting that BAC was in 11th (or lower) in the early season, I took it in stride. No bashing...no whining...no drama.

I just feel like sometimes, SOME of the folks involved with the "top 7" feel entitled based on their history, and I feel that every season should be a new season.

Finally, you seemed to have some questions about what I "do for my corps". I frankly don't know what to say, other than like MANY people on here, my history with BAC goes back more than 30 years, as a marching member, visual instructor, recruiting coordinator, housing coordinator, food crew volunteer, driver, and a sponsor of nearly a dozen members over the years.

But, if I was nothing more than a casual fan, I believe my opinions would still have merit.

• Like 6

It's called "Tournament of Champions Grand Finale"...and YES... VIP Seats are $125

...which compared to my other tickets which were also the best seats in the house is a lot to pay (I usually buy two tickets and invite a friend to come along)...the price is in line with a front row seat at Radio City Music Hall or Broadway, but for a drum corps show? ...I'll get more value just going to Allentown for two days...

In Houston we paid $50 to sit on the 45 yard line about 30 rows up, lower section. At finals we'll pay $125 to sit on the 4th level at about the 35. TOC seems like a pretty good deal to me in that light.

Wow. I really didn't mean to offend you. Just a couple points....first, if you look into my posting history, you'll see that I don't bash other corps, yours included. Further, I don't whine about placements, judges, conspiracies, etc. In fact, when alot of folks here were suggesting that BAC was in 11th (or lower) in the early season, I took it in stride. No bashing...no whining...no drama.

I just feel like sometimes, SOME of the folks involved with the "top 7" feel entitled based on their history, and I feel that every season should be a new season.

Finally, you seemed to have some questions about what I "do for my corps". I frankly don't know what to say, other than like MANY people on here, my history with BAC goes back more than 30 years, as a marching member, visual instructor, recruiting coordinator, housing coordinator, food crew volunteer, driver, and a sponsor of nearly a dozen members over the years.

But, if I was nothing more than a casual fan, I believe my opinions would still have merit.

I agree with you Craiga and you are right about the trends and this is no surprise. Right now you have 2 corps from the west, three corp from the midwest and three corps from the east in the top 8. The last 4 to round off the top 12 (1 from the west and 3 from the midwest). Bottom line top 12, ( 3 west, 3 east, and 6 midwest). Have a great day.

They are the 8 best from the prior year according to the rules currently governing the activity. No more than that. But thats not the point.

Maybe it wasn't the absolute 8 best, but it was certainly 8 of the best and therein lies the positive experience. I will forever defend the effort put forth by students of that corps who placed 32nd the prior year, and there's a place for that, and I'll pay mony to see it. But having 8 of the best at a show thats not a regional or finals is a great experience.

Good take.

....and I feel that every season should be a new season.

This!

Oooooh.....take it easy, man! I fully understand how the TOC 8 corps are determined, but that was not my point. The OP stated that these were the best 8, and frankly, that is simply not the case as we speak. PERIOD! :thumbup:

I know that corps like Madison, BAC, and BK to some are unwelcome dinner guests, but the rest will just have to get over themselves. I wonder, rkfdPRphan, what your point of view would have been exactly one year ago, when Phantom's 9TH PLACE FINISH in 2009 would have kept them out of the TOC for 2010 had that been in place.....?

This is precisely why the original proposal took a three year average and was retrospective to determine which corps were in.

This is precisely why the original proposal took a three year average and was retrospective to determine which corps were in.

and the original said they could vote in and out who they wanted. luckily the shows we have now are all that survived, but it seems that attendance hasn't been spectacular and show venues have had issues

Can anyone explain to me how the locations for the TOC were chosen?

Its been around 48 hours since I asked this question. I bet Jack Bauer could have answered it in 24 hours!!!

DCI holds 3 One Day Regional Competition. They are in Minneapolis, July 16; San Antonio, July 23; and Atlanta July 30. Allentown, Aug 5 - 6 is a Two Day Competition. The five TOC shows are either a day before the Regional, Houston, July 22; Murfreesboro, July 26; or a day after the Regional, Rockford, July 17; Rock Hill, July 31; and East Rutherford, August 7. (With Allentown being a two day event, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment will have an extra day rest between Allentown and the TOC Grand Finale.)

So as anybody can see, TOC Shows are scheduled either a day before or a day after a show where all of the participants will be in attendance. This makes the logistics of getting all 8 corps together much easier.

This also limits where a TOC show can be located. They need to be within a comfortable (?) driving distance of a Regional. This year, the two possibilities surrounding Minneapolis was either a day before at La Crosse, or a day after at Rockford and since the La Crosse show was rained out, its a good thing DCI picked Rockford.

Now as far as NIU is concerned, I would have loved to have seen the show there, but it was a pretty big haul from Minneapolis to Rockford, that extra distance to DeKalb might have been more than the corps wanted to travel. Plus, if they took TOC away from Rockford, Phantom would have probably still expected to have a home show in Rockford.

On the bright side, next year, DCI might have a choice between Rockford and Madison for the show surrounding Minneapolis!!!

As for as the Houston show is concerned for next year, unless DCI moves away from San Antonio theres a good bet that TOC will be back in Houston unless someone, skajerk, can talk DCI to head to one of the other Texas sites. But if Houston is the closest site to San Antonio, I doubt that the corps will want to move TOC farther away.

I also believe that going from Allentown to Boston, emc2, will be out of the question!!! Sorry!!!

Edited by LyleF7