Prototype judging system explained

Could the following statement from the article be explained more fully?

"It is felt by many that what we currently have is the most effective system for judging corps from the past. Corps performance levels have advanced so far that the corps have outgrown the systems created to reward their efforts."

It is believed by many that the current system has gone about as far as it can go in adequately rewarding corps for what they are accomplishing as they head in the directions the activity is heading, whatever that may be. This prototype system is better set up to change with the times.

Thanks, Boo!

Given the TOC numbers and rankings, I feel like this is mostly just about putting new labels on the existing system. However, given that the existing system is completely opaque, then:

Comprehensive materials will be developed and distributed, providing direction on how to properly use the sheets, fully explaining each caption in “plain English” terms. These materials will be published in digital form, making it easier to share with the community of drum corps fans who wish to dig deeper into the system.

If this actually happens, :thumbup:.

It will happen. I've asked to be involved with the process. Being available digitally will make the process much easier, from reading the sheets to digesting the content.

• Like 1

"It is felt by many that what we currently have is the most effective system for judging corps from the past. Corps performance levels have advanced so far that the corps have outgrown the systems created to reward their efforts."

It is believed by many that the current system has gone about as far as it can go in adequately rewarding corps for what they are accomplishing as they head in the directions the activity is heading, whatever that may be. This prototype system is better set up to change with the times.

Have you considered a job in politics? :tongue:

I was wondering if even one example might be available of how the sheets are currently unable, or on the verge of being unable, to rate an aspect of drum corps. For example, is every corps marching so fast nowadays that the sheets as currently written ought to call for all of them to achieve top scores in that aspect? Is it felt that the Cavaliers were not adequately rewarded for jumping over each other in "Samurai", because the sheets don't treat that differently from other marching techniques? And so forth. Is that the kind of limitation this particular change is meant to address?

• Like 2

It's hard to reconcile the article with the fact that the TOC sheets seem to produce almost identical scores/placements to the old sheets. How much could they really have changed?

Mr. Boo - did you get any idea of how much training the TOC judges have undergone on new vs. old sheets? Perhaps the current DCI sheets are bleeding into the TOC judging despite the new caption names?

• Like 2

I don't understand this. Could you provide an example?

As I posted in another thread, it appears to me that after reading this part, DCI isn't even sure what the "Design" captions are:

To the seasoned observer, one thing that will likely jump out in the eight-judge recaps are two new “Design” captions that replace the current two ”Ensemble” captions under the “Visual” and “Music” headings. On first glimpse, these captions seem to evaluate the creative results of the designers, but they are intended to go far beyond that, and don’t really bleed over into what the General Effect captions accomplish. Also, under the “Visual” heading, the word “Performance” has been replaced by “Proficiency.”
  • Like 1

New sheets will go to Box 6 and 110 points :thumbup:

What I actually HOPE this means is the new sheets will find a way to REWARD performance levels that "advance" to the point of causing the FANS to go WOW instead of just the JUDGES going WOW. :worthy:

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

I don't understand this. Could you provide an example?

I admit that I'm just blowing this out of my ***, but a cursory reading sounds like there would be more emphasis on the design and instruction, and less emphasis on the performance. That is, "design" replaces "ensemble", and "proficiency" replaces "performance". Since corps shows have evolved towards more designer emphasis and control, it follows that the sheets would evolve and start recognizing and rewarding that more. Was I interpreting correctly?

The sheets weren't explained because what we have now may or may not be what will be presented in January at the DCI Annual Meeting. The system is the important thing here.

But that would imply that they will (possibly) present sheets that had not been tested in 2011 competitions. What good would that do?

That would be like me installing software I had never tested.

The more I read about this proposed, so called, new judging system, and/or hear Michael Cesario talk about it, the more two things come to mind.

1. I can’t think of anyone who is able to talk so much without actually communicating ANY concrete or useful information than Mr. Cesario.

2. This whole effort over the past year—isn’t it a perfect example of the inmates running the asylum?

The same people most of us take to be the problem are crafting the whole enterprise totally from the inside. Classically, this is not how innovation happens. Where is the new blood? I can’t help but be pessimistic about the results, especially, as others have mentioned, given the results of the 1st 2 TOC shows.