Prototype judging system explained

Maybe the current sheets don't adequately judge the type of Movement that Crown does in their shows.

Maybe the type of Movement that BD does...

Maybe they don't address the synths' balance in the ensemble?

Just a few ideas.

Yes, I agree - judges should be assessing all the content in the show. So to the extent the TOC sheets do so, I think that's great.

Fan friendly, to me, doesn’t imply having to research shows or source music in order to enjoy them so I don’t know why judges would have to research source music on a fan friendly sheet

To me, fan friendly is the reaction of a cold read for an average Joe off the street...yay or nay... if the goal is to grow this thing

can't really get bent on what might be but that just stikes me as a bad idea or a designer looking for credit for their style

keeping close to the source music is not always better, there is a lot of music that I like the D/C version but not the source

• Like 1

Too much emphasis on the design of the show already. In my opinion, this is where DCI has suffered the most with regard to entertaining shows the fans love.

I think it is a rule violation also - I mean, how do you judge someone who is older than the rules allow? :ph34r:

• Like 2

I do get a chuckle at the thought of all these DCI judges passing around a copy of Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Freebrid' in order to judge Crown's show

somehow I really doubt that happened

I suspect that the majority of today's judges were listening to "Freebird" on their reel-to-reel iPods of the day.

They probably said "Hey, Great! Something I've heard before!"

I don't mind so much whatever criteria they choose, as long as it's something they can actually show, explain and support to us. As it is right now, I truly believe they've (intentionally or not) left wiggle room due to conflicting and nebulous definitions that lets judges do pretty much whatever they like. Tighten the loopholes, show me how the scores really are arrived at and I'll be happy.

Mike

To me, fan friendly is the reaction of a cold read for an average Joe off the street...yay or nay... if the goal is to grow this thing

You know, I've disagreed with Cowtown a lot here on DCP, but right here he absolutely hit the nail on the head. Frankly, this should be part of the mandate that goes with any new system DCI adopts.

You know, I've disagreed with Cowtown a lot here on DCP, but right here he absolutely hit the nail on the head. Frankly, this should be part of the mandate that goes with any new system DCI adopts.

Hear, hear.

BTW, in the quote in your sig, does the "it" refer to A&E?

To me, "fan friendly" is the reaction of a cold read for an average Joe off the street--yay or nay--if the goal is to grow this thing.

I agree, as long as this doesn't mean that the corps have to play only music that the average Joe already knows. For one thing, how could that be determined? I don't know half the modern pop music I've seen you mention, which you may think of as well-known. For another, a large percentage of past drum corps selections, even those of very popular shows in days Jurassic, are unknown to many people. I'd never heard of "The Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" or "La Suerte de los Tontos" before listening to the Blue Devils recordings thereof.

• Like 1