I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

I think most people just want BD to be more entertaining. Obviously they are super talented, and I don't think many people would argue that they don't have the best staff in DCI.

personally, I like BD's show this year better than last year.

gladiator+pic.jpg

"Are you not entertained?!?!?!"

I preface this by saying I am a die hard Devils fan and I always cheer for them. That being said, just like with anything that you feel most passionate about, you can be the most critical of as well. I would have agreed with your comment last year and certain years in the last decade. I not only like this year's show better than last year, I think this is the most entertaining I have seen BD since 1993, with the possible exception of 1997 and 2003. I really LOVE this show. Sure, I would lose the props, the recordings, the ugly uniforms, etc. but I am an old school purist and I don't apologize for that. But I do really love this show. I was in Murfreesboro and Atlanta and went to rehearsal yesterday. The last few years, I had to wait for the "good parts" of BD's show and be satisfied with those. This year I don't find myself waiting because I get into the entire musical production.

Naturally, I am glad they have moved to first place and I hope they can hold on these next two weeks. But I am doubly glad because I was afraid that if they did do well the staff would get the message that accessible and entertaining was not the path to victory and we would see more of the weird stuff of last year and other years.

GO DEVS!! 15!!

I don't hate BD for winning a lot. It's a little annoying, but it doesn't bother me that much. There are certain years where I feel their championship is a bit undeserved, but life certainly goes on.

Everybody wants their favorite corps to win at Finals, but when you get right down to it, does it really matter that much? As long as they put on a good show, and we were entertained, what do we really have to complain about?

Lot of good insight here. As with any competitive activity, you want to win. But unlike football, for example, there is a side product of DCI from just the winning. There is a entertainment product that lives on and brings enjoyment through recorded media for years and years. My favorite BD shows are years in which they did not win and I can listen to them over and over.

just because BD's show might be easier (which I think you can only say that as far as drill goes) doesn't mean that they're not as talented as the rest.

I haven't seen Devils in years so I don't have a dog in this fight beyond the fact that I'm a long time SCV fan.

I have to challenge you on this statement though. If the corps is talented (and they're always talented) they have to show it each and every year. You don't (or should not) get credit for past glories or the name on the back of your corps jacket.

Not everyone's gonna like the show, but you don't have to go hate on it with a passion. They deserved the win tonight based on how well they're executing that show right now.

(I really enjoy it personally)

Precisely. I got met with incredulity on Twitter that I found Cavies boring. Sorry, but that show doesn't do much for me. Wow. They can do drum playing gimmicks. Been there, done that with BD in 08 (and I will note, despite loving the Devs, that show was so-so to me). I am not philosophically opposed to Cavies like I was last year when their overbearing audio clips and electronics, it just does not excite me. Most of their shows don't. That's fine. I don't boo them or even hate them, even last year when I had serious disagreements with the basic components of their show. For me Carolina Crown is where I had Cavies last year philosophically. I hate the components of the show and think it has no place in DCI. I can appreciate Crown's talent and, were it not in DCI, could even enjoy the show. I refuse to applaud or stand at the end of the show, but I do not boo them and I keep my criticism in public forums to those of a philisophical nature that is necessary to support the activity and its future.

Mature kids don't play with Tinker Toys.

See, it's comments like these that I hate. This isn't criticism, it's just (at least sounds like) hating.

So essentially, if you don't have anything nice to say, shut up.

Can't criticize the design. That's hating.

Can't "sandwich" things in we actually DO like. That's disingenuous.

Either fawn over BD or just don't post anything about the corps that has dominated the activity for the better part of this decade DCI's existence.

Got it.

You're misunderstanding. You can criticize if you want to (technically you can do anything you want to, but certain things will make me lose respect and get annoyed), but the first thing I quoted in this post is what I'm talking about. And there's all of a sudden just more of it.

Actually, people had pointed this out well prior to last night. Just sayin'....

A lot of people aren't on here reading every topic, because they have lives. Just sayin'....

I have to challenge you on this statement though. If the corps is talented (and they're always talented) they have to show it each and every year. You don't (or should not) get credit for past glories or the name on the back of your corps jacket.

I'm not saying they should. But they do their book much better than say Phantom's (or others) book is hard. There's a balance between difficulty and execution, but when execution is extremely high, it can win out over difficulty (and often does).

Edited by Noname

I'm not saying they should. But they do their book much better than say Phantom's (or others) book is hard. There's a balance between difficulty and execution, but when execution is extremely high, it can win out over difficulty (and often does).

I agree that within the same general echelon of excellence, clean beats demand. Perhaps I misunderstood you then, because reading your post it looked as if you were implying the judges should just know they are talented and credit them for it in some way. It seems this was not what you intended. My mistake.

Gotta ask you Chatty... nothing entertaining about BD08,09,10??? Worse still.....the least in DCI history? Prolly the Bud Light speaking! Right? :tongue:

I see what you did there.... shutup.gif

I have a quick question? Because I hear a lot of people on DCP talking about how the only reason BD is in first is because of poloticis. So if it's politics for BD winning so much these past couple years, what was it when the Cav's were winning so much between 2000 and 2006?

• Like 1

Mature kids don't play with Tinker Toys.

I don't get bothered much by all of the posts that go on endlessly about design being too easy, no, it's more difficult than you will admit, most of the audience is bored, no, they just don't get it, too much park-n-bark, etc, etc. More often than not, these are just VERY passionate fans, discussing the corps they are passionate about.

But this type of comment really sticks in my craw. It's wording and tone make it clear that it's sole purpose is to be insulting. Classless, simply classless.

(I wonder if the poster would tolerate a comment of this tone if it were directed at LSU?)

• Like 3

I don't get bothered much by all of the posts that go on endlessly about design being too easy, no, it's more difficult than you will admit, most of the audience is bored, no, they just don't get it, too much park-n-bark, etc, etc. More often than not, these are just VERY passionate fans, discussing the corps they are passionate about.

But this type of comment really sticks in my craw. It's wording and tone make it clear that it's sole purpose is to be insulting. Classless, simply classless.

(I wonder if the poster would tolerate a comment of this tone if it were directed at LSU?)

I thought it was kind of amusing - are you saying their props DONT remind you of tinkertoys?? (Took me a while to get it actually, but i havent seen the show since the TOC broadcast...)