I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

I answered you in Post #68 of this thread, here it is again:

Well...I will try. Simply stated....it's a show about "nothing"!

Seriously, it's more about nothing than about something.

so it's a Seinfeld show. :tongue:

still doesnt explain the props

I would say that BD has been dominate over the last 4 years, but if you consider they have won 14 times over the past 35 years and have never been out of the tope 5 during that span, they have clearly been the most successful competitive corps. I would disagree with your statement that "most fans" find BD's shows to be boring. Many fans on the west coast love BD's style and give them much love. There was very little BD bashing going on on DCP this year when the corps was sitting in 4th place. In fact, there was more love than I had seen in a long time for BD's show, but as soon as they start beating the Cavies and Cadets all hell breaks loose. I watched all 4 top corps in Atlanta and I have to say Cadets and Cavies have a lot of park and blow in their shows. When they are running around they are usually not playing. I enjoy BD's more laid back style. I find Cadets drill in general to look sloppy an un-original, that is just my personal taste.

All this BD bashing just seems to me like sour grapes. It will bring me much joy watching BD win their 15th title with a show I frankly think is close to brilliance.

In my opinion, I believe that people didn't bash BD when they got 4th place because that is the spot where most fans felt was the right place for them. The reason people are frustrated or disagree with the 1st place that BD got at Atlanta is because they believe that Cadets and the Cavaliers put out a show that was better in terms of design and music. I wouldn't say that "all hell" broke loose, it's just that people became frustrated when a subpar show(still pretty good in my opinion) got placed higher than the brilliant shows put forth by both Cadets and Cavaliers.

And I do not know how you find the Cadet's drill to be "unoriginal". I believe that they have the best, original drill out of all the corps. Most of my friends that are fans of BD tend to be elitists at times and try to bash other corps by coming up with absurd criticisms. But please don't take this out of context, I am not calling you an elitist

Edited by neonpeanuts
  • Like 3

That's what I said!!!! :thumbup:

Guess us "haters" all think alike huh? :devil:

still doesn't explain the props

Actually I think Plan9's take on how the props connect is pretty good. To me, they fit with the Hal David lyrics of "House is not a Home" pretty well. (My take) Just as a real "home" can not be built by one person alone, BD's symbolic home only comes together (and is occupied by the corps) at the show's closer after the corps has pulled the props together from their random positions at the start of the show. Granted, the props are stylized, but consistent with graphic art ("op art") popular during the Bacharach era. Nothing too deep really, just a visual that has a nice literal interpretation of the music. Beyond that, the show is what it claims to be, a homage to the music of BB.

Edited by Photographer Jim

Sorry about that. I was trying to read replies in this thread, but I must have missed yours.

Sounds like Seinfeld. (Not my favorite comedy.)

I'm not necessarily looking for a story. And I completely get XtraordinarY. There are lots of X's and Y's. There are guys on stilts. There are people playing upside down. There are people moving faster than you expect them to do so. There are fast notes and difficult sets. There are kaleidoscopes. In other words, there are as many "XtraordinarY" things as they can think to do. (And the XY chromosome connection to an all-male corps isn't lost on me, either.)

There isn't a story, but there is a theme, and there are clear references to the theme throughout the show. And that gives me something to look for along the way. Just another way to keep the audience interested. (For similar thematic connections from the Cavies, see Frame Works, Spin Cycle, and Machine. Or see BD Gangsta Chronicles, Rhythms at the Edge of Time, and Through a Glass Darkly.)

I still don't see what this has to do with a heart skipping a beat. And I find the connection you've made from prop to music tenuous at best. Still, I'm glad you see something there. Maybe you're just more creative than I am. :-)

I wish I could, but I'm very picky about abstract art. I like some of it, but I don't like a lot of it. This felt like a lot of abstract without enough context to make it work.

I really appreciate you trying to help me figure it out, though. I'll definitely go back to FN and watch it again with your explanation in mind.

If anyone else has further clarifications, I would love to hear them.

The best I can tell you is that you are trying way too hard! There's nothing artsy fartsy or abstract about BD's show...again, it is a set of visuals designed around the building or bringing together the components of what makes a home...in this case both the structure and the things that bind the people in it! This really isn't that difficult to follow. The beat my heart skipped is merely a title of a french film that (if I know Scott Chandler) was just a description of the moment one finds oneself in love or back in love. It was used for its connection to "beat" and of course love, a simple play on words. So turn off your sensors, and look at the pieces of the show like you look at Cavies show, no judgement, no need for a connection, just great visuals and great music that celebrate what makes a home. In the end, the house pieces come together and corps surrounds it, no rocket science here.

Actually, I was going to put ($1 to George Castanza) in the original post...but thought to myself...nah, everyone's going to know I meant Seinfeld......I'll put it next time!

Also, concerning your inability to understand my explanation....."You are one tough cookie" ($1 to the Library Cop in Seinfeld :tongue: )

The best I can tell you is that you are trying way too hard! There's nothing artsy fartsy or abstract about BD's show...again, it is a set of visuals designed around the building or bringing together the components of what makes a home...in this case both the structure and the things that bind the people in it! This really isn't that difficult to follow. The beat my heart skipped is merely a title of a french film that (if I know Scott Chandler) was just a description of the moment one finds oneself in love or back in love. It was used for its connection to "beat" and of course love, a simple play on words. So turn off your sensors, and look at the pieces of the show like you look at Cavies show, no judgement, no need for a connection, just great visuals and great music that celebrate what makes a home. In the end, the house pieces come together and corps surrounds it, no rocket science here.

Plus, more importantly, how can you not like Seinfeld? Probably like The Big Bang Theory or something tongue.gif

Actually, I was going to put ($1 to George Castanza) in the original post...but thought to myself...nah, everyone's going to know I meant Seinfeld......I'll put it next time!

Also, concerning your inability to understand my explanation....."You are one tough cookie" ($1 to the Library Cop in Seinfeld :tongue: )

I understand your explanation. I just happen to think you're trying too hard to make it sound deeper than it is

• Like 1

Actually I think Plan9's take on how the props connect is pretty good. To me, they fit with the Hal David lyrics of "House is not a Home" pretty well. (My take) Just as a real "home" can not be built by one person alone, BD's symbolic home only comes together (and is occupied by the corps) at the show's closer after the corps has pulled the props together from their random positions at the start of the show. Granted, the props are stylized, but consistent with graphic art ("op art") popular during the Bacharach era. Nothing too deep really, just a visual that has a nice literal interpretation of the music. Beyond that, the show is what it claims to be, a homage to the music of BB.

This is the best explanation yet. I'll have to see it again and see if it works for me. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of any of the source music, so I had no clue about the lyrics to any of the songs. I suppose a bit of research on my part is in order.