Beast of the East - Lawrence, Ma

I enjoyed playing for the audience with the senior corps. It was a great crowd in a nice venue. They need to fix the PA system, though!! It was also exciting to see the kids pulling up on SCV. I was happy to be part of the crew helping out at the barbecue. It looks like it powered them to do their best. Time to rest my feet and lips. See you in Allentown. Go Cru!!

Agree 100%. Completely.

I brought my daughter, future son-in-law and my employer to the show this year, none of whom had ever seen a drum corps performance previously. They were blown away by what they saw on the field and enjoyed the music each corps played, however, from a strictly entertainment value point of view, the show they found to be least engaging was BDs. All three were confused as to the intended use of the props and found them distracting. I am not a BD "hater" or "basher" in any way. I think the Blue Devils have an incredible amount of talent and I have the utmost respect for each and every member and the hard work and dedication they all put into their show. I am simply posting this to show how the average person, who has had no previous drum corps exposure, felt about what they saw.

Edited by StephanieT

We put on an exibition at the East Coast Classic tonight in Lawrence, so we all received free passes to the rest of the show.

Halfway thru the "The Cadets of Allentown" I left the stadium and drove home.

What I saw on the field is not DRUM CORPS.

I miss the ol' skool Santa Clara Vanguard and the GARFIELD Cadets.

No more DCI for me.

Celtics Head Coach Rick Pitino's press conference quote in an immediate post Larry Bird Boston Celtics down period from 1997:

" Look, Larry Bird ( Star of Indiana ) is not walking through that door, Celtics fans. Kevin McHale ( 27th Lancers) is not walking through that door. Robert Parish ( Bridgemen ) is not walking through that door ". So get over it ! "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Nomination for post of the season?

I'll second.

how about...gasp...people may not like the show. regardless of who it is.

I know, I know, logical

There is nothing more or less logical about liking/dislikeing a show than disliking a corps because BD wins all the time (of late). You can suggest that it's simply BD's show designs people are reacting to, but if you don't think that the DC fan community does not have a preponderance of "BD fatigue" and it effects their response..... you're kidding yourself.

All you need to do is to look at the threads and posts from the early part of the season and more recently to see......when BD's no threat of winning they are left alone or modestly complimented, but when they are at the top....Katy bar the door! Same corps....same show.....different outcome! But this is an old argument with us Jeff, I recognize your point, but you simply don't choose to recognize mine.

Celtics Head Coach Rick Petino's press conference quote in an immediate post Larry Bird Boston Celtics down period from 1997:

" Look, Larry Bird ( Star of Indiana ) is not walking through that door, Celtics fans. Kevin McHale ( 27th Lancers) is not walking through that door. Robert Parish ( Bridgemen ) is not walking through that door ". So get over it ! "

brasso your the best and guesswhat i give this navillus guy permission to stay and eat bon bons. the show was great the corps are greatand drum corps is great long live drum corps

It's actually both, Plan.

When BD isn't a threat (which is never, really), folks will not ##### about their show design because they aren't in front.

But, yeah. When they pull ahead with a show people don't like, they're gonna voice their opinion. The fact that they've been at the top for so long isn't the genesis of their discontent, but it does add fuel to the fire.

Celtics Head Coach Rick Pitino's press conference quote in an immediate post Larry Bird Boston Celtics down period from 1997:

If you recall, Pitino also went on to insult the fans in the press conference referencing something like the fans were 'the fellowship of the miserable'. Pitino is an ########....though I get your point and it is a clever local reference, the guy's entitled to his opinion if he thinks what's on the field is no longer 'drum corps'. (Heck, even DCI references itself as pageantry...)

• Like 1

There is nothing more or less logical about liking/dislikeing a show than disliking a corps because BD wins all the time (of late). You can suggest that it's simply BD's show designs people are reacting to, but if you don't think that the DC fan community does not have a preponderance of "BD fatigue" and it effects their response..... you're kidding yourself.

All you need to do is to look at the threads and posts from the early part of the season and more recently to see......when BD's no threat of winning they are left alone or modestly complimented, but when they are at the top....Katy bar the door! Same corps....same show.....different outcome! But this is an old argument with us Jeff, I recognize your point, but you simply don't choose to recognize mine.

Meh - obviously they are both true, and that is about as close to fact as you are ever going to find on DCP. The difference is in the percentages...you would probably say that most people that are not fans of BD right now are probably just sick of them winning, and aren't giving them a shot. Jeff would (probably) say that there a few folks like that, but that most people that sit on their hands just plain aren't engaged by their show.

There is of course, a third option that noone talks about, and its kind of where i find myself. I actually came right out and admitted in my review of west chester that BD's winning this year made it harder for me to enjoy their show. You may find that petty, but here's why its not. First of all - at least im being honest with myself (something rare on the subject). Secondly, to me there is a difference between BD of last year and BD of this year. Last years show was not 'enjoyable' or accessable to most because of the music selections, but it was nearly impossible to doubt their title 'worthiness'. They ran their ***es off, played some crazy stuff, and generally assaulted our senses for about 10 minutes. I was honestly amazed, even if i didn't always get it, and while I would have rather someone else won, i totally accepted and bought into their title.

This year is entirely different. People talk about BD having the freedom to push new boundaries while other corps keep it straight-forward....yeah, i find that argument weak at best. Yeah, so they use props...what corps hasn't? The way in which they use them is 'slightly' more involved than what others have done (just based on how they actually make them a part of the drill), but it wouldn't call it all that shocking. When you look past the props (on an innovative level....not a GE level...since i realize the ARE a part of the show), you get a pretty watered down and safe version of the same show BD has been doing since 2008. Thats what gets people i think. It's almost like they are teasing the audience by saying 'look how much we can get away with doing...or in this case, 'not doing'. To their credit, they make it work, and the judges buy into it, so why would they stop???

Anyway, that went a little off track, but its basically why i'm so much more disappointed in this edition of the blue devils...and why even though it is LARGELY because they are winning, that I DONT consider myself a member of the ABBD club. Fact is, this show should be way more popular than last year...even if the melodies aren't familiar to all, they are accessable, fun, and quite hummable. The show is pretty easy to get, and you dont walk away from it wanting to punch a baby in the face (a la BD 2010). For me, its a nice 3rd or 4th place show...and yet, that's obviously not where its getting scored. If it were not a competitive activity, I would be thrilled to just sit back and watch BD anyday, but unfortunately in this case, we've all decided to make competing a big part of this activity...and for me, there's a big difference between a show you dont get, but are helpless to accept as 'champion worthy' (2010), and a show that is 'accessable' and hummable, but not nearly impressive enough to be a champion in many peoples eyes.

• Like 2