Beast of the East - Lawrence, Ma

There are a LOT more things that go into difficulty and demand than just visual.

I feel that everyone saying that Cadets have a more difficult show (not saying they don't) are looking at it from a purely visual perspective

I don't understand how that is relevant. Elaborate?

Home Crowd (practically) = big reaction for Cadets

Hostile Crowd = polite applause for BD

I am so glad the judges got it right though.

Bad analogy. You are implying every corps is doing the same show just at different speeds.

No, I'm implying that speed is hard. Physically moving your legs at a faster pace is harder than moving your legs at a slower pace. You are reading too deep into those comments.

Edited by 72Bach

I was there, on the 50, 12 rows up. One of the best seats I've had at a show in years.

Let me get this out of the way- I'm a homer. I marched Cadets in the middle '80's and they're my team. I love what they're doing this year. I would love them to win this year. It's been a while.

That said, I hate HATE the game the Devils are playing. And I idolized the Devils growing up. I want them to be the corps I always looked up to. But watching them tonight, it's obvious they're the masters of manipulation. Do they drum better than anyone? Maybe. Do they play the horns better than anyone? Probably. Is their colorguard cleaner and more expressive? Maybe. Is their drill cleaner than anyone? Probably. Those facts, if looked at alone, make them the best corps. They deserve to win. And that's EXACTLY how they're looking at it. I get it. There's NO caption that says "Are the horns playing while they march?" But my God man, EVERY time the horns play, they're standing still. It's relentless. The few times they're moving, they're playing block chords. I swear to God, (And I really liked Boston tonight BTW) The Boston Crusaders moved more with the horns on there faces in the first number than the Devils did the whole show. No-one masters the minutiae of the sheets like the Devils. They've perfected doing what it takes to win. They're a great corps. They REALLY clean. But it just feels cheap.

The Cadets are connecting with the audience like crazy! I just hope that the demand that they have in this year's show will be rewarded.

BTW- Vanguard was a really pleasant surprise tonight as well.

Agree 100%. Completely.

• Like 1

No, I'm implying that speed is hard. Physically moving your legs at a faster pace is harder than moving your legs at a slower pace. You are reading too deep into those comments.

I get you are saying that speed is hard. But to apply your analogy to what we are discussing (difficulty from corps to corps) you would have to assume that everyone is doing the same show to say that speed is the only factor to difficulty. Which I assume most would say is not. Your analogy is bad.

Blue Devils get far more than golf claps on the west coast. If it was in correlation to how much they connected to the audience they would get the same reaction in other areas of the country. They don't.

The audience has to be open to receive what they have to offer. The anybody but BD mentality is pervasive at tnis point. IMHO

• Like 1

The audience has to be open to receive what they have to offer. The anybody but BD mentality is pervasive at tnis point. IMHO

how about...gasp...people may not like the show. regardless of who it is.

I know, I know, logical

how about...gasp...people may not like the show. regardless of who it is.

I know, I know, logical

How about, they are more likely, friends and family and fans of corps that are tired of losing to BD and want anyone but BD to win. Otherwise known as sore losers.

• Like 2

We put on an exibition at the East Coast Classic tonight in Lawrence, so we all received free passes to the rest of the show.

Halfway thru the "The Cadets of Allentown" I left the stadium and drove home.

What I saw on the field is not DRUM CORPS.

I miss the ol' skool Santa Clara Vanguard and the GARFIELD Cadets.

No more DCI for me.