Beast of the East - Lawrence, Ma

Scores = BS

BD should not be winning by that much. In all honesty, the Cadets show is absolutely phenomenal. They should be this year's champion.

Yes they should. Just because you like the Cadets more doesn't mean that they have the better-executed show.

Also, scores do not equal Blue Stars. Just sayin'. :tongue:

• Like 1

I know it probably looks like I'm biased, but Boston should be beating SCV. I wasn't at the show tonight, but judging from Atlanta, Boston's show just has much more potential heading into finals week. More to clean, more to add, not to mention the show is just a lot more demanding. I'm not a fan of Boston's show from an entertainment POV, I much prefer SCV this year in that regard, but we gotta be objective here. Here's hoping they get out of the 9th place ghetto

• Like 1

Am I the only one that noticed how close boston is to SCV?

Thought SCV were rough the first 1/4 tonight. After BAC looked real good, I thought they might pass SCV. Not quite there yet. Maybe Saturday when they go on after SCV. Crowd almost pulled Cadets pass BD. Was great to see four top eight corps at the East Coast Classic.

I was there, on the 50, 12 rows up. One of the best seats I've had at a show in years.

Let me get this out of the way- I'm a homer. I marched Cadets in the middle '80's and they're my team. I love what they're doing this year. I would love them to win this year. It's been a while.

That said, I hate HATE the game the Devils are playing. And I idolized the Devils growing up. I want them to be the corps I always looked up to. But watching them tonight, it's obvious they're the masters of manipulation. Do they drum better than anyone? Maybe. Do they play the horns better than anyone? Probably. Is their colorguard cleaner and more expressive? Maybe. Is their drill cleaner than anyone? Probably. Those facts, if looked at alone, make them the best corps. They deserve to win. And that's EXACTLY how they're looking at it. I get it. There's NO caption that says "Are the horns playing while they march?" But my God man, EVERY time the horns play, they're standing still. It's relentless. The few times they're moving, they're playing block chords. I swear to God, (And I really liked Boston tonight BTW) The Boston Crusaders moved more with the horns on there faces in the first number than the Devils did the whole show. No-one masters the minutiae of the sheets like the Devils. They've perfected doing what it takes to win. They're a great corps. They REALLY clean. But it just feels cheap.

The Cadets are connecting with the audience like crazy! I just hope that the demand that they have in this year's show will be rewarded.

BTW- Vanguard was a really pleasant surprise tonight as well.

• Like 8

I know it probably looks like I'm biased, but Boston should be beating SCV. I wasn't at the show tonight, but judging from Atlanta, Boston's show just has much more potential heading into finals week. More to clean, more to add, not to mention the show is just a lot more demanding. I'm not a fan of Boston's show from an entertainment POV, I much prefer SCV this year in that regard, but we gotta be objective here. Here's hoping they get out of the 9th place ghetto

BAC needs to clean their marching some, get more in synch with body/arm movements, and also improve each night in Indy. Going back several years, they have had more drops in scores after quarters than increases. Reaching 91/92 is possible with improved concentration of their intervals and covering. They easily have the talent and staff to do it.

I was there, on the 50, 12 rows up. One of the best seats I've had at a show in years.

Let me get this out of the way- I'm a homer. I marched Cadets in the middle '80's and they're my team. I love what they're doing this year. I would love them to win this year. It's been a while.

That said, I hate HATE the game the Devils are playing. And I idolized the Devils growing up. I want them to be the corps I always looked up to. But watching them tonight, it's obvious they're the masters of manipulation. Do they drum better than anyone? Maybe. Do they play the horns better than anyone? Probably. Is their colorguard cleaner and more expressive? Maybe. Is their drill cleaner than anyone? Probably. Those facts, if looked at alone, make them the best corps. They deserve to win. And that's EXACTLY how they're looking at it. I get it. There's NO caption that says "Are the horns playing while they march?" But my God man, EVERY time the horns play, they're standing still. It's relentless. The few times they're moving, they're playing block chords. I swear to God, (And I really liked Boston tonight BTW) The Boston Crusaders moved more with the horns on there faces in the first number than the Devils did the whole show. No-one masters the minutiae of the sheets like the Devils. They've perfected doing what it takes to win. They're a great corps. They REALLY clean. But it just feels cheap.

The Cadets are connecting with the audience like crazy! I just hope that the demand that they have in this year's show will be rewarded.

BTW- Vanguard was a really pleasant surprise tonight as well.

Sigh

• Like 7

Am I the only one that noticed how close boston is to SCV?

Just got back from the show... quick thoughts :

BD deserved to win as they executed the heck out of their show. Brass line has such a balanced sound. Great Guard too. They get a lot of flack sometimes, but this is a more entertaining show than last year, imo.

Cadets wowed the crowd with their drill... they had a few noticeable drill execution issues tonite. They clean this sucker up, they are still in the hunt I believe. Great effect with the poles, lots of oohs and wow's from the crowd

Don't be surprised if you see Boston top Santa Clara Vanguard before it's all said and done. Nobody in the stands that I talked too tonite ( quite a few ) would have been shocked if Boston beat Santa Clara this nite. It looked like Boston changed their musical and visual ending the last few days, and its working. SCV has a quite interesting concept for their show and they have a terrific guard and percussion line, and they had few noticeable glaring issues in any caption, and were solid throughout.

Anyway, enough for now... those are a few quick snippets as I saw it tonite anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

BAC needs to clean their marching some, get more in synch with body/arm movements, and also improve each night in Indy. Going back several years, they have had more drops in scores after quarters than increases. Reaching 91/92 is possible with improved concentration of their intervals and covering. They easily have the talent and staff to do it.

Yeah BAC has been peaking before finals since..I guess 2004? 2009 or whatever when they placed 7th was a fluke, we've been a perennial 9th place group for the past 6-7 years. Very frustrating.

Yes they should. Just because you like the Cadets more doesn't mean that they have the better-executed show.

Also, scores do not equal Blue Stars. Just sayin'. :tongue:

Well yes I do like the cadets better this year, but that isn't my reason why they should win. It's because they are doing so much more than any other corps, and they are executing their material very well. Are they as clean as BD? No, not yet, but their show is not even close to the level of difficulty and excitement that the Cadets are. And to me, I feel that difficulty and demand is worth something in this activity. It shouldnt be about smoke and "mirrors" ;)

Edited by 72Bach
  • Like 4