When Will It Happen?

"Back in the Day......"

To my granddaughter, that means 2010.

To the AL and VFW Championships it means going to the National Convention as a Legion/Vet MEMBER. While there, you participated in the convention, the parade, AND the drum corps championships.

In the current day, if a corps is sponsored by a Legion post, they will probably compete in such an AL Nationals.

The Cabs website has some videos of the corps and their families boarding a train headed to the nationals. AL membership meant attending the state and national conventions. WWII was still only a few years back.

If Ralph Kramden's International Order of Friendly Sons of the Raccoons had the primary influence over drum and bugle corps, we'd all be headed to Minneapolis (or Chicago during alternate years).........

Joe Dz in NJ

That assessment is a little harsh, IMO. And not completely accurate.

Right off the bat: Anyone flying in for the Annapolis weekend more than likely will have an easier time finding direct... and, on average, less expensive... flights into Baltimore's BWI Airport, since it's a major airport (with the nation's leading low-cost airlines as major players there) compared to the one in Rochester, or Scranton, or Syracuse, or anywhere else DCA has been in recent years.

I also gotta figure, the DCA South corps are going to find it less costly to get to Annapolis than to Rochester. I don't know that for sure, but it's an educated guess based on the distance they will need to travel.

Will the "fun"... as in "hanging out in the parking lot fun" end at 11 PM? Probably. But what's the big deal about that? Continue the "fun" back at your hotel... like corps and fans have done at pretty much every DCA championship.

how dare you be logical

p.s. What is MBI doing right to be able to afford such trips when other corps have short seasons or are folding?

Other corps need to look at how MBI functions. Seriously. That's NOT a jab at other corps, but just an encouragement to them to really examine how a DCA corps that is far outside the "normal" DCA geographic area can continue to succeed both financially and artistically. That's not to say MBI hasn't had its own share of financial difficulties in the past, or doesn't face challenges today. But MBI is far and away the best funded corps in DCA. Their annual carryover is more than twice that of any other DCA corps. How did they do it? That's the subject of an essay. And it's an essay that most DCA corps need to read.

This is not mere boosterism. It's a serious issue for the future of DCA. STUDY MINNESOTA BRASS. This is a corps that has launched their own production company to run 3 large drum corps shows a year (including the huge DCI Minnesota Regional). They have 5 performing groups. They are very diverse in their fundraising approach. And they have a home-grown, loyal, talented staff and a home-grown membership base.

But most importantly, they try their hardest to make everyone believe in the vision of the corps, and they care about every volunteer who comes forward to help the corps achieve that vision.

Minnesota Brass is perhaps the most honorable organization I've ever had the privilege to be a part of. And yes, that last part may be considered boosterism, but I don't care. :smile:

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 3

That assessment is a little harsh, IMO. And not completely accurate.

Right off the bat: Anyone flying in for the Annapolis weekend more than likely will have an easier time finding direct... and, on average, less expensive... flights into Baltimore's BWI Airport, since it's a major airport (with the nation's leading low-cost airlines as major players there) compared to the one in Rochester, or Scranton, or Syracuse, or anywhere else DCA has been in recent years.

I also gotta figure, the DCA South corps are going to find it less costly to get to Annapolis than to Rochester. I don't know that for sure, but it's an educated guess based on the distance they will need to travel.

Will the "fun"... as in "hanging out in the parking lot fun" end at 11 PM? Probably. But what's the big deal about that? Continue the "fun" back at your hotel... like corps and fans have done at pretty much every DCA championship.

Not only will the southern corps benefit from championships being closer but do the milage for many of the rest of the NE corps. Annapolis is closer for many of them too. Rochester has been a great venue especially for I @e but it's been a long haul for many of the corps and the fan base. Expect to see attendance records up next season.

Not only will the southern corps benefit from championships being closer but do the milage for many of the rest of the NE corps. Annapolis is closer for many of them too. Rochester has been a great venue especially for I @e but it's been a long haul for many of the corps and the fan base. Expect to see attendance records up next season.

Yet the non east and south corps now have an extra 120+ miles to go than rochester :ph34r:

To the first part of your question. T There have been some corps come south sparatically but nothing wide spread. As indicated on here ad nauseum you will not see the NE corps doing any wide spread traveling until it benefits them in some form or fashion. Rather it be a competitive advantage or financial advantage. As one poster recently put it. Put up the money or shut the freak up about it. Right, because you know the logistics involved, financial stability or instability of all the NE corps to make such a broad stroke comment.

I think one thing they are doing right is giving their membership base a positive marching experience so they come back year after year and maintain numbers.

Ive seen so many corps over the years lose site of having fun.... getting caught up in scores and placements that they get disappointed and lose focus on having fun and giving the membership a positive experience. When this happens membership declines, competitive nature declines and most importantly funds decline. This cannot happen in today's economy.

MANY? HOW MANY CORPS HAVE YOU BEEN ASSOCIATED DIRECTLY THAT CAN MAKE SUCH A COMMENT, HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN THIS, OR THIS JUST AN ASSUMPTION ON WHAT YOU'VE HEARD..........

Other corps need to look at how MBI functions. Seriously. That's NOT a jab at other corps, but just an encouragement to them to really examine how a DCA corps that is far outside the "normal" DCA geographic area can continue to succeed both financially and artistically. That's not to say MBI hasn't had its own share of financial difficulties in the past, or doesn't face challenges today. But MBI is far and away the best funded corps in DCA. Their annual carryover is more than twice that of any other DCA corps. How did they do it? That's the subject of an essay. And it's an essay that most DCA corps need to read.

This is not mere boosterism. It's a serious issue for the future of DCA. STUDY MINNESOTA BRASS. This is a corps that has launched their own production company to run 3 large drum corps shows a year (including the huge DCI Minnesota Regional). They have 5 performing groups. They are very diverse in their fundraising approach. And they have a home-grown, loyal, talented staff and a home-grown membership base.

But most importantly, they try their hardest to make everyone believe in the vision of the corps, and they care about every volunteer who comes forward to help the corps achieve that vision.

Minnesota Brass is perhaps the most honorable organization I've ever had the privilege to be a part of. And yes, that last part may be considered boosterism, but I don't care. :smile:

That's Awesome...

The simple answer is cost. You have Cabs,Sun,Fusion,Empire,Hurcs,WhiteSabers,Sky,Bucs,and 3 or 4 others in a 400 mile radius, then, :cool: all the other corps are scattered all over the US, Cananda, England, Japan etc. When you have to travel further than a 1 day bus trip your cost goes way up. Next year when they all have to pay more to go to Annapolis, and way more for housing, the crowd will thin even more especially in 2013 after the bills come in for 2012 and people find out that the fun stops at 11PM and the sidewalks roll up in MD. It costs a lot to move 130 + people the distances we are asking people to go these days with fuel, housing, food, etc. The Corps that do must have some great fundraisers. I wish them all good luck, hell the Legion hardly has a parade at State or National Conventions any more because people will not pay for the music etc. :cool:

I know I am only one person, but I am actually planning to go to Finals in Maryland next year. I am not going this year, but MD can be a car ride for me. I have driven to Miami before, and I believe that is further (time-wise).

The simple answer is cost. You have Cabs,Sun,Fusion,Empire,Hurcs,WhiteSabers,Sky,Bucs,and 3 or 4 others in a 400 mile radius, then, :cool: all the other corps are scattered all over the US, Cananda, England, Japan etc. When you have to travel further than a 1 day bus trip your cost goes way up. Next year when they all have to pay more to go to Annapolis, and way more for housing, the crowd will thin even more especially in 2013 after the bills come in for 2012 and people find out that the fun stops at 11PM and the sidewalks roll up in MD. It costs a lot to move 130 + people the distances we are asking people to go these days with fuel, housing, food, etc. The Corps that do must have some great fundraisers. I wish them all good luck, hell the Legion hardly has a parade at State or National Conventions any more because people will not pay for the music etc. :cool:

:ph34r:

It isn't as simple as that, sir..

I suggest you read my friend RonH's post about how short-sighted your comment appears.

All that anyone may be trying to say here is maybe at long last one or more of the established NE'ern DCA corps should look at expanding THEIR fan base as well as the circuit's. Nobody's saying it has to be MANDATORY, but the idea of OFFERING to TRY and venture outside the protective bubble of the 'invisible fence' (yeah, it's a hokey analogy - but funny none the less) might be a win-win investment.

Yes, it takes planning, resources AND MONEY, but any organization worth their salt and with any self-confidence should look at this as a CHALLENGE to be overcome, and if done correctly, adds to their legacy as the future continues..

I don't know..I guess that as much as money is at the root of the issue, so is a bit of fear..I'm not a spend thrift by any means, but I also see the larger picture of looking ahead and trying to HELP rather than HINDER our activity..

Flame-retardant suit now on..Let 'er rip folks! :cool:

Pat