Warrenton, VA

At this point in the season, the panels tend to be a bit more careful with popping high scores like this even if there is no competition there (sorry BK). I would say this is at the very least a sign that some of Crown's changes the past few days have been paying off. Whether it will compete with the big 3, only time will tell.

All I can say is they had a 95.95 at Finals last year, and 94.85 (tonight's score) at Quarterfinals... and they were never higher than that prior to. So basically they worked their way UP to that.

Hmm!!! This season just keeps getting better by the minute!! :)

• Like 2

Thought Crossmen, Spirit, and Crown were the big standouts tonight. Crossmen are good but too safe to compete with SOA. Spirit's show has as much musical variety as Crown. With as much as Spirit has improved this year and how sound the technique is, this could be the start of something really fun to each. I was really impressed. Crown was really on tonight despite how dry the stadium is. I am starting to reconsider them as a dark horse.

Edited by tigger2
  • Like 1

The Crossmen show is hands down, the most emotional show this summer next to Madisons. Love, love, love it!

Edited by xbones7480

The Crossmen show is hands down, the most emotional show this summer next to Madisons. Love, love, love it!

the Hallelujah section... :worthy:

Well, if this was 1997, the show would be in the Top 6.

(...this is not a slam on them by any stretch, because I also do love the show.)

They are one of the cleanest X-men hornlines I can personally remember hearing live myself. Hallelujah is just flat out AWESOME and a total goosebump moment. BUT.................

The problem with the show in general is that it is still relatively cookie-cutter compared to (most of the) rest of DCI right now. And the fact that there are so many other clean and proficient musical groups out there in this era, it is not doing them any favors. Their visual book is very average and accessible, so that isn't helping either. This isn't to say the show isn't fantastic and enjoyable (because it is!), it's just not at the level of what so many other groups are putting out there these days, and that hurts them on the sheets.

Although I will say, the Troopers have one of the easiest shows of the decade and are fairly successful with it this year because they are selling the CRAP out of it. It's another emotional show that I just eat up, despite the obvious difference in design compared to other groups around them. But I dig shows like that, and I appreciate some classic and straight-up beautiful drum corps hornlines any day of the week.

That all said, I am VERY happy to see at least the Crossmen "sound" back as it should be. I loved it so much in Sevierville, I bought two Crossmen shirts that night (one for me, and one for my wife). So yeah, I give credit where credit is due, and the Crossmen have been due for a loooooong long time.

Can't wait to see it again Finals week.

Edited by IMcomguy

Well, if this was 1997, the show would be in the Top 6.

Wha... What? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

No.

I do love Crossmen for sure, but there's no way that this show would be in the top 6 in 1997 or even 1987. I like the feel of the show, but it wasn't designed for that and the performance certainly isn't up to that standard.

I would love to see them build up to top 12 again, and I believe that they can have a top 6 appearance again, but No. rock.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

Wha... What? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

No.

I do love Crossmen for sure, but there's no way that this show would be in the top 6. I like the feel of the show, but it wasn't designed for that and the performance certainly isn't up to that standard.

I would love to see them build up to top 12 again, and I believe that they can have a top 6 appearance again, but No. rock.gif

READ: 1997.

I was generalizing that this show wasn't built for this era.

And 1997 sucked anyway, so I don't think it's entirely out of the realm to say that 14 years ago this show could have been more successful. They are performing at a decently high level, it's just not a great production on the whole.

READ: 1997.

I was generalizing that this show wasn't built for this era.

And 1997 sucked anyway, so I don't think it's entirely out of the realm to say that 14 years ago this show could have been more successful. They are performing at a decently high level, it's just not a great production on the whole.

Are you talking show design or performance level?

I would say that the DESIGN could fit into what was looked for in a show in the late 80s.

I like the design for sure, but I don't see top 6 performance.

That's all I'm saying. I'm glad that you have so much positive to say about them and I don't want to be negative, but I think this design will get them going in the right direction to move up later! It's a fun show for the audience and the performers ( I would guess, if they appreciate good audience reaction).

So, Crown gets a 94.x and that's the highest score so far, but that's because they don't have any competition....what's the difference????????

A 94.85 should be a 94.85 no matter where, or who is there.

Not saying I agree with the score, as I still believe they will end up 4th, but are scores THAT SUBJECTIVE that it doesn't mean anything?

In any case, Crown's new ending is just awesome. Still think they will end up 4th, but it's going to be a lot closer than a 1 point spread from 3rd.

And they were CLEAN!

So, Crown gets a 94.x and that's the highest score so far, but that's because they don't have any competition....what's the difference????????

A 94.85 should be a 94.85 no matter where, or who is there.

Not saying I agree with the score, as I still believe they will end up 4th, but are scores THAT SUBJECTIVE that it doesn't mean anything?

In any case, Crown's new ending is just awesome. Still think they will end up 4th, but it's going to be a lot closer than a 1 point spread from 3rd.

And they were CLEAN!

By this weekend the scores will be higher than that for all the top 4. I would like to see a shakeup though. Good number to have 1 week+ from finals though! thumbup.gif