An odd observation about DCA...

When I marched Bushwackers in 1995 I was the oldest member of the Bassline at 28. The following season we had 2 basses, 2 tenors, and 1 snare marching in Cadets, Crossmen, & Glassmen. There were also a few of the horns from 1995 who marched in DCI the following year or two. I believe in the drumline that year we had 4 snares, 2 tenors, and 2 basses who were still junior corps elligible. Not sure about the cymbal line ages, but I think some of them were young enough to march junior.

Lol - this is last years news (I wrote this in 2011)

For the 2012 season, i'm now the 3rd oldest member...now at the even more ancient age of 27!

How can we have this discussion without examples?

Let me just add a little video...

A typical DCA corps. From Minnesota Brass' own website (via YouTube, so DCP doesn't get its panties in a bunch). Friends and dysfunctional family!! :tongue:

Pretty dang good for a corps that practices from 6-10 pm on Wednesday nights.

Or another video published by DCA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpec2KoMSJY&feature=related

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 1

usbrate.gif

so procreation will save Drumcorps!

...Are you sure about that? Or are you saying third oldest in the bari/euphs?

Yeah bud - thats what the original quote was in reference to!

Still a big change from 2010 when I was one of the youngest....

Someone help me out here...

Are we saying DCA is in good/bad shape? While we're at it, DCA is in better/worse shape than DCI?

I'm genuinely unsure where this discussion is aiming.

HH

My big concern is creation of new corps as if this doesn't happen we're just putting off extinction:

I'd say DCA made some changes that really helped. Biggest one IMO is Class A which gave a good entry point for corps starting out. Whole different mindset from BITD which ignored those corps to the point they had their own circuit (which paid a lot less) to have shows. From what I've read DCI is heading in a better direction in the non-WC area but both circuits need to continue improvements here.

Of course as years go by things change and #### happens. It's not that DCA/DCI/whatever changes but have chenges that make sense for changing circumstances.

Who is in better shape??? Eh, is an apple in better shapre than an orange? (Translation : too different to compare).

My big concern is creation of new corps as if this doesn't happen we're just putting off extinction:

A timely reminder, as we are once again looking forward to a DCI season with no new corps.

Starting a corps is more difficult than it has ever been. Anything that can be done to mitigate that situation ought to be on the table for discussion.

I feel the pain.

Sad truth is I've more than once lately thought I might just quit DCP .

that lame?

HH

Hang in there.

Its almost June ( or in the case of The Cadets...December. )