Ahhhh, c'mon Bluecoats...

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the "Ahhh" syth sound in the opener?

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • I don't care either way
    • I can't hear it
    • Other (make a comment)

NO DOUBT, Bluecoats have one of the most beautiful opening sounds ever heard on the football in their opener. What great sonority, it's a sonic bath.

But have you listened to the synth sound on the Fan Network? It is playing an "ahhhh" sound perfectly in sync with what YOU would sing along with when playing this LOUD on your car stereo. C'mon you guys, am I the only one who does this? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

At first I thought "that's not drum corps, shouldn't the snyth be playing like a tuba or bari on that part?" Then the more I heard it, the more I liked it. Now I'm singing right along to one of the great openers of 2011 and one of Bluecoats all-time best openers. OK Bluecoats, you win; I love it!

What say you, Bluecoats, synthesizer and FN fans who have heard the same thing?

Edited by wvu80

I love the entire opener, and the rest of the show has grown so much. They are really going to put a scare into SCV and Phantom come finals. The talent is there, no doubt. They tried to pull of a complex theme and had to make some changes. Now that the show has gelled, I am not sure they are getting full credit for their percussion and brass scores. The visual is complex and has now really cleaned. It will be fun to watch at Finals, but I know the Bluecoats will bring it BIG TIME!!!''

I personally have been a fan of what the bluecoats have done with electronic sounds. They put a song like creep on the field perfectly with the choreography and that huge brass sound. I also heard through the grapevine that they have experimented with using recorded sounds of the women in their hornline singing some of the chords from the opener. I don't know if they still use it in the show, but I think it just shows how creative and talented this corps is.

I don't think you will ever hear the synth for the Bluecoats doubling the low brass voices. Their brass arranger would not allow it. :thumbup:

I agree that the way they do use their electronic voicing is outstanding.

The drumline IS near the top of the heap.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

I don't think you will ever hear the synth for the Bluecoats doubling the low brass voices. Their brass arranger would not allow it. :thumbup:

I agree that the way they do use their electronic voicing is outstanding.

The drumline IS near the top of the heap.

Plus they don't need it. There isn't a more prominent low brass out there. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Bluecoats this year, to me, feel like an INCREDIBLE French Restaurant where the courses are served out of order.

You walk into see this incredible restaurant, the most articulate waiters even wiping your glasses clean of condensation. They bring out your first course... Coq au Vin bathed in an incredible wine sauce from a 98' Bordeaux. It melts in your mouth, it tastes and smells unlike anything you have ever experienced. This entre is sheer perfection.

Then you move on to the other courses... a salad... a platter of meat and cheeses... a creme brulee.

No matter what they bring you after that Coq au Vin, you feel let down. What follows the Coq au Vin is EXCELLENT, but the sheer magnitude of that first dish poisons your expectations for the rest of the meal.

My horrible, but the only way I can express it, analogy of BlueCoats this year...

Have you seen the closer lately? A bit more than creme brulee! The micd baritones, oh my gawd... and the company front...who else in DCI today sounds like this?

My what a long way you guys have come since June...

• Like 1

I saw them for the first time this season at Allentown (no youtube, no fan network). Loved the opener, hated the synth sounds. After the opener the corps was awesome and clean and tight and impressive....but I have no idea what they were playing. Can't say I'm a fan of the design in that regard.

• Like 2

Have you seen the closer lately? A bit more than creme brulee!

It is good. I'm not disputing that. I don't dislike ANY corps this year, with the exception of BD (give me your pre '99 flowing, graceful, lines of melody on the move!!!!).

But it still just doesn't compare to that Coq au Vin at the beginning, and I LIKE creme brulee. :-)

Bluecoats this year, to me, feel like an INCREDIBLE French Restaurant where the courses are served out of order.

You walk into see this incredible restaurant, the most articulate waiters even wiping your glasses clean of condensation. They bring out your first course... Coq au Vin bathed in an incredible wine sauce from a 98' Bordeaux. It melts in your mouth, it tastes and smells unlike anything you have ever experienced. This entre is sheer perfection.

(snip)

I'm not sure why, but now when I think about Bluecoats show I get hungry...

You sure do have a way with words, Mr. General Tso Chicken. :cool:

+++

FWIW I saw Bluecoats live at Charleston, WV last Tuesday. The entire show is MUCH better live than on TV. It's hard to believe that colorguard is ranked near the bottom of the top 12. I thought they were terrific.