"Thundering Chorus of Boos" in Atlanta

I...highly doubt this.

BD's members will be clean and execute regardless. No external stimulus is needed. They would be doing this well either way.

Of course they will clean regardless but you must not disregard human nature.

At the very highest level of any activity it's the small things that make the difference, anything that might give you the edge over your nearest competitor no matter how small could be the difference between Gold & Silver.

... I alway's thought they were Booing the Judges Scores or Placments of the different groups. ( I know when I Booed (when I was a FAN). That is what I was Doing. ) Just alway's thought that the People were voiceing their Opinion of that (Scores or Placement). It never hurt my feelings when I heard it. I never thought is was Me or my Corps they were booing.

During a show. I DO NOT think any Booing should take place at all though. I Always respected All Corps. Even ones I did not like for whatever reason. I would Applaud when Announced and when Finished. The people doing the show on the field Deserve that for their hard work. Whether I liked what they performed or not, I gave them Resepct.

But, Judging. No. I feel no Obligation to agree with them. They are paid to do a job. They do it as they see fit. Fine. But, if I am going to applaud when I agree. Why am I not to show my DIS- agreement. They are Adults. It should be no big problem to them if I would Boo them.

But to each their own way.

THIS.

I was in Atlanta. I booed when the scores were announced because I disagreed with the judging and the results. Again. There weren't any corps members on the field at the time (there wasn't anyone on the field since it was non-retreat, just scores on the scoreboard, which is another topic all together).

I would never, EVER, boo a corps on the field. I might moan, groan and cringe a little if/when they use too much synth and electronics ... but I truly don't like a corps or their performance, I will respectfully decline to applaud.

• Like 2

What the members of BD's staff, admin and probably even the members themselves may not realize, fans are not booing them because they don't want to win, but because maybe they aren't as entertaining as the other corps (I'm only gathering this from a variety of DCP posters who have commented during the season, my first live read will be tonight.) I think even the most die hard drum corps fans who don't want a corps to win yet again will always give it up for that corps if they are thoroughly entertained by them.

This is a great post... I mentioned the boos in an earlier post on another thread. And yes it of course could have been magnified by the broadcast without a doubt. I defer to you having been there live over that for sure, and thanks for clearing it up. As far as your excitement or lack thereof for BD recently, I feel your pain. People refuse to belive it is not a hate of BD, but a genuine dislike for the direction they have chosen to go in. That being said, there are many shows I found exciting that I knew wouldnt win for whatever reason... but I still loved them. It's a fine line for sure... but when a corps doesnt move me in SOME way.. ANY way... It is hard to figure out why it wins over and over again.

Actually yours is a great post as well...

I...highly doubt this.

BD's members will be clean and execute regardless. No external stimulus is needed. They would be doing this well either way.

Yes they will clean and execute regardless, but the guy running that organization was the drum major there when I marched so the culture is still similar. We looked for reasons to get pizzed off for rehearsal fuel. These kids are cut from the same cloth believe me!

What the members of BD's staff, admin and probably even the members themselves may not realize, fans are not booing them because they don't want to win, but because maybe they aren't as entertaining as the other corps (I'm only gathering this from a variety of DCP posters who have commented during the season, my first live read will be tonight.) I think even the

most die hard drum corps fans who don't want a corps to win yet again will always give it up for that corps if they are thoroughly entertained by them

Interesting that you comment like this. You march in the corps that has won DCA for the past 5 or is it 6 consecutive seasons.... Oh you have been undefeated all those seasons as well. You do not get booed right? Maybe it is that the DCA fans are classier than the DCI fans.

Interesting that you comment like this. You march in the corps that has won DCA for the past 5 or is it 6 consecutive seasons.... Oh you have been undefeated all those seasons as well. You do not get booed right? Maybe it is that the DCA fans are classier than the DCI fans.

I never said it was OK to boo, or that it wasn't, just maybe offering up reasons why people do it, because I usually read 'they just don't want them to win again' responses.

because I usually read 'they just don't want them to win again' responses.

This.

Many BD fans seem to think it's an attack on their corps. But, at least for me, I would be just as upset if, say, The Cadets, The Cavaliers or Crown was currently winning with that exact same show.

Now, I never boo. Ever. I don't see how you can have marched and do it, because I definitely wouldn't have wanted to hear that in my marching days.

But just because I don't think your show should win doesn't mean I want your corps to fail. There's a large difference between disliking a corps and disliking said corps' show design.

Edited by geluf

This.

Many BD fans seem to think it's an attack on their corps. But, at least for me, I would be just as upset if, say, The Cadets, The Cavaliers or Crown was currently winning with that exact same show.

Now, I never boo. Ever. I don't see how you can have marched and do it, because I definitely wouldn't have wanted to hear that in my marching days.

But just because I don't think your show should win doesn't mean I want your corps to fail. There's a large difference between disliking a corps and disliking said corps' show design.

Is this kind of like that "Support the Troops, and Oppose the War" kind of thing?

w00t.gif

Is this kind of like that "Support the Troops, and Oppose the War" kind of thing?

w00t.gif

That seems an apt enough analogy.

Edited by geluf

There's a large difference between disliking a corps and disliking said corps' show design.

THANK YOU!!! "What He Said". . . .. :thumbup:

But that will still get yer butt in trouble here.... :tongue:

Then there is the old "I have nothing against that corps but thought my corps did better. So I booed the scores". Gee, never heard that BITD. :cool: Weirdest one was when my old corps beat the Buccs for the first time ever. No booing.... no cheering.... just total silence except for the sound of jaws hitting the ground (including ours - still have the scars).