completely original shows?

The championships shows from 2005-2007 were all mostly original.

2005 Cadets - Liquid was original (although based on some other piece I can't remember), they did play "Dancer in the Dark"... then the rest of the show was original with the closer being loosely based on Medea

2006 Cavaliers - all original except for the Marsalis piece

2007 Blue Devils - the entire show was loosely based on certain "themes" from non-original music (Pegasus being the most note-worthy), but it was so heavily arranged that I almost consider this an all original composition

• Like 1

2007 Blue Devils - the entire show was loosely based on certain "themes" from non-original music (Pegasus being the most note-worthy), but it was so heavily arranged that I almost consider this an all original composition

I'd consider that with most shows. Honestly, with the amount of arranging and altering that takes place over a season, why don't all corps just write original music every year? I've never written music so maybe I'm off base, but if you can take something apart and make it almost unrecognizable but still sound amazing, it can't be that hard to come up with something that's 100% original, can it? I mean, if the result of originality is Cavaliers 01 and 02, I'm all for it for every corps!

Madison's opener in 1995, El Toro Caliente, was a Scott Boerma original.

• Like 1

All of those mentioned are great shows, but none of them stands, musically, anywhere near Florida Suite.

Amen!!!

• Like 1

All of those mentioned are great shows, but none of them stands, musically, anywhere near Florida Suite.

I'd take "Spin Cycle" over "Florida Suite" any day. A drum and bugle corps show requires both musical segments to contribute, and while Smith's horn writing was very nice (especially in the opening segment), the percussion section wasn't integral to the piece the way that Kuhn/Johnson's work was in Cavaliers' 2003 show.

Long way of saying "horn players, it's not all about you." :tongue:

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

I'd take "Spin Cycle" over "Florida Suite" any day. A drum and bugle corps show requires both musical segments to contribute, and while Smith's horn writing was very nice (especially in the opening segment), the percussion section wasn't integral to the piece the way that Kuhn/Johnson's work was in Cavaliers' 2003 show.

Long way of saying "horn players, it's not all about you." :tongue:

You make it sound like Al Murray phoned the 85 book in for Suncoast. Maybe the line wasn't as good (and the Suncoast 85 bass line might like to have a word with you outside if that's what you mean), but the book was excellent.

Plenty of corps have used an original chart or two. Madison's done it a few times. Geneseo did it in 1982, Cavies the next year, Suncoast was all original in 85, and their 88 show was largely original but based on the hymn "Jesus Loves the Little Children." But IMO Florida Suite still takes the prize.

• Like 1

You make it sound like Al Murray phoned the 85 book in for Suncoast. Maybe the line wasn't as good (and the Suncoast 85 bass line might like to have a word with you outside if that's what you mean), but the book was excellent.

I don't think he said Al's book was phoned in. He was doing a comparison, and in his opinion, he liked Cavaliers' integration better. That's all, or at least how I read it.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would diss Suncoast's bass line to their face. :shutup:

I do like mo's current avatar. Especially considering Al is Ludwig's VP of Marketing now!

Edited by CrunchyTenor